Recruiting Football Talk VII

Can't wait to see all the top tier talent we bring in from the portal to round things out with the roster... if you haven't heard, we've got the best or one of the best NIL's in the country, so we should be feasting on the talent we're about to pick up... 1-2 WR's, TE, Oline, LB, DT, secondary, and a QB who wants to be at a bigger program that has experience in case something goes sideways next season with the current QB sitch.

We get upgrades, get some of our guys returning, and we should be out kicking arse next season on the reg.

I’m not yet convinced we’re being as aggressive in the portal as we need to be. Protecting the culture is important to an extent but you have to take some risks as well. It’s still early this cycle though.

Reactions: volinbama256
I’m not yet convinced we’re being as aggressive in the portal as we need to be. Protecting the culture is important to an extent but you have to take some risks as well. It’s still early this cycle though.
A lot of offers aren’t public.

WR transfer Josh Kelly holds an offer from us, was never public

Reactions: 3nUTnow

Of the five offensive linemen that signed from the 2021 class, only two remain: Masai Reddick and Brian Grant. I wouldn’t be the least bit shocked if one or both of those hit the portal. Hypothetically if both do leave, going 0/5 in an offensive line class is disastrous. You can survive it if you play your cards very well in the portal, but it is disappointing to have a class pan out as poorly as that one has.

I do think Ellarbee is a good coach. He’s gotten a lot out of his starting offensive linemen since he got here. Just think his evals in that 2021 class were bad. Granted, he had to take mostly backup plans because of the NCAA cloud hanging over us at that time. I’m not worried yet by any means, but we just can’t strike out like that in our offensive line classes anymore. That 2021 class has to be an anomaly.

Yep. When cops add charges like mentioned, it typically indicates the suspect was a total a hole.
On the flip side, cops in Knoxville wet their pants when they get the chance to collar a Tennessee football player. Been like that for years. At least going back to the early '90's, maybe longer? Wonder if General Neyland once slept with the police chief's wife or something and they've just held a grudge ever since?

Cops out there arresting our boys again. Don’t they know better than to arrest our future top 15 pick and all American edge rusher
This is a terrible post. How about this? James Pearce should be accountable for his behavior. What if this learning experience saves his life someday from a trigger happy criminal or another dangerous situation. Maybe the police officer did nothing wrong and James was 100% at fault. Maybe James needs to humble up. Police officers get all of the blame and none of the thanks. This is an experience James can take and grow from. Just because you're a celebrity doesn't mean the law doesn't apply to you.

Elerbe leaves a lot to be desired in that department. I’ve been saying it for a while.

It’s year three and we were still rolling with Ollie lanes and Dayne Davis types for depth, and are hoping beyond hope that covid guys etc stay for a 5th or 6th year because none of the young guys we’ve brought in are close to being ready.

Yet when you express concern when we take another low ranked kid with a mediocre offer list as a commitment, the cheerleaders on this site jump on you like Elerbe is some great coach.
You’re saying this as if it has some basis in reality. It doesn’t.

Last year we got Campbell, Lang, and Sham. All highly recruited guys, plus a couple others.

This year we have 4-5 4-5* OL.

It’s not like we’re rolling with unknowns and WRs we’re hoping to put weight on. The coaches know the OL room has to improve. It’s happening. OL recruiting has gotten more competitive every class. It just takes time at that specific position group.

VN Store

Back