The Atlanta Braves (thread 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, 10-11 after the first month is about what I expected before the season, but disappointing after the 5-1 start. It's a shame the starting pitching, for the most part, has been good enough to win lately but the offense just cannot do anything, and they haven't even really faced any starting pitching that isn't easily beatable if you just do the little things right.

Our old friend Mike Hampton will be making the start for the Astros tomorrow night.
. . . and I enjoyed each and every one of the 5 Earned Runs the Braves hung on him. Also, kudos to Bobby Cox for putting Jeff Francoeur in the cleanup spot. Francouer is not a cleanup hitter . . . but he's a heck of a lot more suited to bat 4th than Casey Kotchman.

I really need to get around this site more. I've been limited to recruiting and football discussions.

Nice to see a thread dedicated to America's team.

Let's go Braves!

That's the way it was for the decade between McGriff and Teixeira. (Other than Adam LaRoche's one fluke year, of course.) Why would it be any different now that Teixeira's gone?

In fact, I'd argue that the biggest reason why the Braves' run came to an end wasn't the inevitable aging and departure of the Big Three -- until the last year or two, Schuerholz did a pretty good job of spackling that up around the edges -- but rather their inability to find even average bats at the two easiest defensive positions on the field, LF and 1B. There's just no way that a team that is seriously trying to compete gives significant playing time to guys like Scott Thorman at 1B and Charles Thomas in LF.

It sort of reminds me of watching Sid Bream . . . without the 10-15 HR capability.

Last edited:
Realistically what are your opinions on what the braves should do to improve? Should they go ahead and bring up Heyward and Freeman from the minors (They could give us production from LF and 1B) or do they let them continue to develop? My opinion is let them develop along with Hanson. I don't think they have the tools to win the division this year much less a World Series so I am looking towards the future. But what are your opinions on this?

They need to get McCann and Garrett Anderson healthy and make whatever run they can and look to 2010. I really hope they don't deal any of this starting pitching in order to make a run.

I'm thinking Escobar and Schaeffer are driving Bobby Cox absolutely nuts right now. Schaefer has got to learn to put the ball in play and is cruising for a trip to AAA if he continues striking out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back