The Grill and BBQ thread

This is why I don’t cook for large groups anymore unless I do it the day before and reheat it the day of…I’ve done Kroger pork butts several times with no problems had one get stuck at 180 when I was cooking for a group. It was technically “done” as in safe to eat but it definitely wasn’t great
These turned out well. I feel they would've been better had they been allowed to finish. Everyone thought they were great...

Honey hog is so good. I’m going to try holy gospel on some ribs Saturday
It was a hit with everyone. I also started to put some Tennessee Mountain Sourwood honey when I put the ribs in foil during the 2 hour cook. Just fantastic flavor

Reactions: mrMet
Alright guys, I have a question. I just cooked my first Denver steaks.
Method: Dethawed overnight. Marinated in my usual blend (Single-Malt Scotch, Worchershestire Sauce, Soy Sauce, Heinz 57, and Lime Juice in equal portions)
1.Inserted probe.
2. Placed on Cast iron pan with oil to smoke point before adding steaks, seasoned.
3. Seared each side
4. Basted with butter
5. added aromatics and flipped
6. more butter and final flip for cross hatch marks
7. pulled at 129degrees to rest
8. rested for 10 mins

Color was great, flavor was exceptional. I would be proud to let anyone flavor test these. But, they were quite chewy. So, to any of you that have cooked this before, was my method wrong? Should I try a different method? I have a couple more bags. I liked them. My wife, who thinks all meat should have a texture like Ribeye and Fillet did not like them so much because of the chewy texture. I did not cut this meat myself. I bought half steer, mostly pastured but finished on corn. Marbeling has been okay but not too much. Maybe the meat on this steer isn't marbled enough for something like this? I will take anything under consideration. I love steak and the more I cook that my wife likes, the less she cares if I spend a lot on good beef.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Method: Dethawed overnight. Marinated in my usual blend (Single-Malt Scotch, Worchershestire Sauce, Soy Sauce, Heinz 57, and Lime Juice in equal portions)
1.Inserted probe.
2. Placed on Cast iron pan with oil to smoke point before adding steaks, seasoned.
3. Seared each side
4. Basted with butter
8. rested for 10 mins

Color was great, flavor was exceptional. I would be proud to let anyone flavor test these. But, they were quite chewy. So, to any of you that have cooked this before, was my method wrong? Should I try a different method? I have a couple more bags. I liked them. My wife, who thinks all meat should have a texture like Ribeye and Fillet did not like them so much because of the chewy texture. I did not cut this meat myself. I bought half steer, mostly pastured but finished on corn. Marbeling has been okay but not too much. Maybe the meat on this steer isn't marbled enough for something like this? I will take anything under consideration. I love steak and the more I cook that my wife likes, the less she cares if I spend a lot on good beef.
IMO, Denver's are a little chewy. The last time I cooked one I did it sous vide, then seared and it was a little more tender. I love the flavor of that cut.

IMO, Denver's are a little chewy. The last time I cooked one I did it sous vide, then seared and it was a little more tender. I love the flavor of that cut.
The flavor was great. I do not mind a chew. My wife, not so much. It was probably the toughest cut I have had out of this beef. But, it is possible that the butcher cut the chuck a bit far on this one. It looked like it was really lean. Maybe sous vide with a little tallow next time?

Tomorrow will be one last practice run for PigFest. I'm thinking a butt, should be ready about halftime tomorrow. Gotta do a dessert that weekend too, so I'm thinking maybe a smoked berry cobbler.

Reactions: KptVFL
1.Inserted probe.
3. Seared each side
4. Basted with butter
8. rested for 10 mins

Try reverse sear next time, using sous vide if cooking inside. You can make your own "cooker" with a deep pot, zip locks, and a temp probe. That's how I do it

Reactions: JCHateSteve
Well…home from Hendersonville PigFest. My goal this weekend, as a first timer in a competition, was to see if I could hang with the big boys. My youngest cousin cooked with me. We finished 3rd out of 52 in pulled pork.

I guess I’m not too bad at this thing.

Attachments

• IMG_3698.jpeg
    IMG_3698.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3696.jpeg
    IMG_3696.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3697.jpeg
    IMG_3697.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 25

VN Store