Milton QBR

HooahVol

This is not intended to be another Milton sucks post. Just looking at the raw numbers. His current QBR ranking is #63: 2023 College Football Season Leaders Total QBR | ESPN. For perspective that is well below many other SEC QBs, including Jalen Milroe at Bama which I find funny because everyone thinks Bama does not have a QB this year. Yet the QB they do not have is 23 places above ours. Just a reminder The formula for this rating involves the number of passing yards, touchdowns, pass completions, interceptions and other actions recorded by the player. The highest possible quarterback rating is 100, while the lowest is zero. I guess for those of you who feel our offense is off even though he shows moments of brilliance you really are correct. His production numbers are not competitive with the rest of the conference.

The O-line has hurt him significantly. His rating would also much be much higher if the officials had ever called PI in that Florida game, where Florida's DBs were pretty much allowed to hold our WRs the entire 2nd half.

That said, I think he's a middle of the road SEC QB. His best feature is that he's always a threat to "hit the home run", which makes life difficult on the D and opens up the running game. But he struggles moving the chains sometimes when a better QB like Hooker or Dobbs would be able to do so.

Just think how bad it would be if he didn't have all those bubble screens
Joe has to be better throwing it down the field . . . but we've also got to be smart enough to recognize that Milton has an ability to deliver those WR screens in a way that most QBs just don't and we're not screening just for the heck of it. In some ways it protects Milton, but effectively handing it off 20 yards away to a playmaker is never a bad thing.

Joe has to be better throwing it down the field . . . but we've also got to be smart enough to recognize that Milton has an ability to deliver those WR screens in a way that most QBs just don't and we're not screening just for the heck of it. Nobody is going to get the ball to the perimeter faster than we can, hence, we're going to see every conceivable version of the quick screen - Smoke, Bubble, Slip, Tunnel, Slot, Crack etc. etc. In some ways it protects Milton, but it's also taking advantage of an obvious strength - being able to effectively hand it off to a guy 20 yards away.
This. The screen pass is just an extension of our run game honestly. The ball travels to perimeter faster than a defender can and it gives opportunity to get you easy 3-4 or more yards. It also stretches the defenders sideline to sideline creating more running lanes. That is especially helpful when your Oline is not great. Usually on most of these sideline screen passes there is a TE or another WR blocking infront of the intended receiver so if the blocker gets his block correctly, the screen can result in large chunk play.

Yes, it is not a sexy play or an explosive one as we are accustomed to seeing under Huepel but it is an efficient one.

The O-line has hurt him significantly. His rating would also much be much higher if the officials had ever called PI in that Florida game, where Florida's DBs were pretty much allowed to hold our WRs the entire 2nd half.

That said, I think he's a middle of the road SEC QB. His best feature is that he's always a threat to "hit the home run", which makes life difficult on the D and opens up the running game. But he struggles moving the chains sometimes when a better QB like Hooker or Dobbs would be able to do so.
not being able to move the chains is what bothers me most about him. It will be 3rd and 6 and he tries to pass for 60+ yards instead of taking the check down to keep the chains moving.

This is not intended to be another Milton sucks post. Just looking at the raw numbers. His current QBR ranking is #63: 2023 College Football Season Leaders Total QBR | ESPN. For perspective that is well below many other SEC QBs, including Jalen Milroe at Bama which I find funny because everyone thinks Bama does not have a QB this year. Yet the QB they do not have is 23 places above ours. Just a reminder The formula for this rating involves the number of passing yards, touchdowns, pass completions, interceptions and other actions recorded by the player. The highest possible quarterback rating is 100, while the lowest is zero. I guess for those of you who feel our offense is off even though he shows moments of brilliance you really are correct. His production numbers are not competitive with the rest of the conference.
In defense of Milroe, I'm not sure they rely on the WR screen nearly as much as we do. That high percentage pass would push him higher in the ratings I suspect. What that says about Milton, I'll leave that to others to comment on.

1. All of these things are pretty subjective. If you look at the glossary beneath the list, you'll see each category is 'weighted' by a subjective component.
2. We have a very strong running game and use the pass as an extension of that, and I think that affects his rating in this system.
3. I agree with someone else--he is pretty much middle of the pack. I defended JG probably longer than I should have.
4. I'll bet Nico is closer to being ready than he's being given credit for by the coaches. They'd just prefer not to get him broken in two this early in his career.

So very obviously not another thread for bashing Milton

I would love to blame Joey Hazle for bad play calling but I can't. CJH is calling the plays. I find that very troubling. To say the play calling has been atrocious would not fully describe how bad it really has been. I can't lay all of the blame on Joe Milton or his receivers that play hot potato instead of football. What we are seeing is a failure of four points of the passing game. The play calling; QB play; lack of production from the receiving corps and a band aid O line all feed off of each other to produce garbage. Fortunately, the running backs look awesome. Hopefully once Cooper Mays comes back the line will settle down. That MAY be what could spark the passing game to life. Lets be honest, if we play the bubble screen game against SCar, Milton will have 3+ interceptions based on play calling, not poor play.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
The thing one has to figure out is how much of that deficiency is related to the Oline as well. How well would those 62 quarterbacks rated above Milton fare with our Oline? Also even if Milton is that mediocre/bad is there a better option on the team currently?

Reactions: MemphisVol77
What is our OL rating?

Tied with 5 teams at 105th in penalties:

Tied with 19 teams at 29th in sacks allowed

Tied with 20 teams at 49th in turnovers lost

They don’t have QB hurries, but I guarantee that’s one of our worst stats.

All that said, it is scary how much these stats include playing teams like a depleted UTSA, AP, and Virginia. You can see how much worse they get when we played Florida.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back