The future is now. Bring in Nico.

I’d like to see Nico but we need to stand behind Heupel and not melt down. We were in utter turmoil before him. He proved his worth last year many times, it’s ok to be angry but we have to stand behind Heup. He’s building something
We are in utter turmoil now and it's only gonna get worse. Heupel is an idiot and I'm not standing behind a coach that won't bench a terrible QB that's pushing 30.

The center is a backup that shouldn’t even be on the football team. The oline will be fine when copper is back in. The 4th down was more of a **** play call, but the refs also had a huge part in that. Zero reason UF should have been allowed to sub.
And when is this Copper person going to have a healthy season

Heuple already benched him once, why wouldn’t he again?
There’s a difference in “benching” and be up by a lot and giving your freshman some time. If Milton was going to be benched it should have happened against Austin Peay

Folks, we got outcoached 2 weeks in a row! Whoever is doing the play calling has to be replaced! This o-line is horrible. We rushed for only 100 yds! Milton actually played well! Heupal has got to callout the refs! I know he will get fined, but they will continue to miss call every game if you let them! Our DB's cannot tackle & our d-line got bullied!

Reactions: ReelfootVol
To bring on a freshman that is not physically or mentally ready for the situation they are being thrown into could be detrimental to their overall development. I have been very close to a situation where that happened and the biggest impact was on confidence moving forward. It wasn’t a temporary loss of confidence but a permanent one which is devastating for any athlete. IMO playing our future now is not worth the risk.

Exactly. Imagine a freshman playing in that environment behind that offensive line last night? Peterman 2.0.

The O Line was atrociously bad.

I am afraid to Milton could be JH's JG. He is sticking with him despite knowing that he's not capable of running the entire playbook with him in the game. Maybe he feels like he owes it to him for patiently wait I g his turn. Maybe he is enamored by the arm strength. But it's a failed experiment. We are going to win 9 games max with Milton at the helm and that's being super optimistic. Every coach that we play just saw the Playbook on how to shut us down offensively and pick us apart defensively. No one considered Milton a threat as a Runner so it's basically 10 versus 11 out there on the field with him playing. He doesn't have legs and he's afraid to take a hit. It's time to move on to the Future.

Nico is going to be green and is going to make a lot of mistakes. But I have to think that at the end of the day he is going to be equally as successful as Milton this season. I don't feel like we're actually going to give up any wins by bringing him in. I don't think this is a case of "scrap the rest of this season and let's get the backup quarterback some experience so that we can have a good next season". I think we will have the same record this season with Milton or Nico. But at least we can build on this season going into next season. Next season should not be a case of sticking Nico in as the starter with very minimal experience. That's just the recipe for another nine win at best season. And to be dead honest, I think the team plays uninspired because they don't truly want Milton starting. He's not the guy they can rally around.

I do think Heupel could be on the verge of having his Dabo moment. Deep down I think Milton is Kelly Bryant 2.0… he’s fan favorites, great locker room person, but he’s shown his limitations. I think if Heupel is to make a change, it needs to be now and let Nico run UTSA full game… there is zero reason to throw a new QB in for South Carolina at home and even less to try to make a change during the bye week before a road game at Bama. The reason i think the switch is so tough is because of the timing that it needs to be done (if we are considering a change) which is now…..

I’m still Pro Milton and think he’s good enough to win… the biggest thing that stuck out to me last night was the lanes he had to tuck and run, but didn’t. It feels like Heupel is still calling an offense for Hooker and not Milton. That no call BS on Keyton in the end zone is neutralized if Milton just tucks the ball and run. He literally had no defender within 15-20 yards downfield.

If Nico can’t start against UTSA, why we even spend 8 million to get him. I don’t think this was all on Joe but he’s mediocre at best.
IMO, he should start the next game. But in reality, he probably won't. Before someone comes in with "it's not just Milton, it's the entire team," yes, that pretty obvious. Gotta start somewhere, might as well start at QB.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Throwing Nico to the wolves isn’t going to fix the O-Line issues.
Well, if you hit some receivers all over the field and have enough elusiveness then the D-line is not just pinning their ears back either. I never really saw much of Johnny Manzell, but I watched the Netflix show about him. He wasn't a big guy, but he just had the "It factor". He could run against Bama no less and stop and throw. Backyard football was his best tactic. You can't study a team that isn't really doing anything more than improvisation. The lilttle I"ve seen of Nico showed me he has elusiveness, vision, and knows when to run or avoid rushers. Our offense is supposed to be geared towards one receiver. Just throw it where that one guy is going. That's all Hooker did, but he could process things fast and escape from the pocket. Milton just isn't quick. We need a quick QB.

Think about what you said. Heupel benched him once. Why? Because he knew he had a guy that was ready in Hooker. Heupel likely knows Nico isn’t ready.
Benched?
So are you going to play the QB with multiple ligaments torn in his ankle or the healthy backup? Of course Coach played the healthy backup he had in Hendon.

I am afraid to Milton could be JH's JG. He is sticking with him despite knowing that he's not capable of running the entire playbook with him in the game. Maybe he feels like he owes it to him for patiently wait I g his turn. Maybe he is enamored by the arm strength. But it's a failed experiment. We are going to win 9 games max with Milton at the helm and that's being super optimistic. Every coach that we play just saw the Playbook on how to shut us down offensively and pick us apart defensively. No one considered Milton a threat as a Runner so it's basically 10 versus 11 out there on the field with him playing. He doesn't have legs and he's afraid to take a hit. It's time to move on to the Future.

Nico is going to be green and is going to make a lot of mistakes. But I have to think that at the end of the day he is going to be equally as successful as Milton this season. I don't feel like we're actually going to give up any wins by bringing him in. I don't think this is a case of "scrap the rest of this season and let's get the backup quarterback some experience so that we can have a good next season". I think we will have the same record this season with Milton or Nico. But at least we can build on this season going into next season. Next season should not be a case of sticking Nico in as the starter with very minimal experience. That's just the recipe for another nine win at best season. And to be dead honest, I think the team plays uninspired because they don't truly want Milton starting. He's not the guy they can rally around.
Heup had been enamored with Milton’s physical gifts not once but twice. He needs to come out from under the either and realize Joe is never going to be a good football player much less a great quarterback. He just doesn’t have the instincts for it. He lost the Michigan job lost the Tennessee job already. The guy is 25 years old and is what he is. I like Joe and wanted him to succeed but I just don’t think he has it .

If Nico can’t start against UTSA, why we even spend 8 million to get him. I don’t think this was all on Joe but he’s mediocre at best.
If it were just the qb position and he was physically ready to take the abuse in this conference. We have a lot to sort out though. Milton wasn’t great but he wasn’t even close to the biggest problem.

Folks, sometimes it is not as simple as playing the backup qb....hell Peyton couldnt win in the swamp......that place is a house of horrors for UT. False starts killed our drives before we could get started. Our Offensive line was horrendous, wide recievers are not as talented as last year. Defense looks suspect against SEC competition and the Gators are not world beaters on offense. This will be a up and down season.......enjoy the ride and remember........at least Pruitt is not still here.

My gripe with Heupel isn’t that he’s playing Milton now. He probably is the best option at this point for this teams future. I say that bc idk if Nico has a future playing behind this Oline. My main issue is we got no one out of the portal to address our main issues. Should’ve at least had a viable option to backup Milton. Should’ve added some Oline as well

There's another thread about Milton grading out higher than onyone else on the team in the FL game.

The loss isn't on Milton.

You’re right. We should all just sit in a circle, hold hands and sing Kumbaya.
Lol. If that circle includes the fans clueless about how the game is played, and there are many that qualify, I’m all for it.
Heck, I’d even swing by and build them a nice bonfire to sit and bitch around. Perhaps you’d like to supply the marshmallows?

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Im sorry but our oline is bad right now no heart they dont fire off the ball they wait for contact instead of making first contact with the d. Coming from an old o linemen my self they are soft. Im 50 and could still block better and before anyone says why dont u i would give my left n## to be able to. There is no excuse for for no heart. This is not on the coaches it is 100 percent on our guys not having the desire to be the best. O love this football team and i will probably get hammered for this but until a leader steps up we are in trouble

I don't think Tennessee wins 9 games with Milton, this oline and dline, more realistic to go 7-5. Put in Nico and I see the same results

VN Store

Back