Any one else concerned

About the passing game? Were the receivers not getting open or was it the play calling ? I know Keaton was wide open and dropped a sure TD. We won’t be able to run like this in every game so the passing game has got to improve.
No, it is called football. Not as easy as it looks sometimes. Especially first game. It was a hot day on a borrowed field against an emotional team on national TV. Expect things to not go perfect. Be thankful we reacted well, coaching spot on, and got a lot of players a lot of reps. My biggest concern are the injuries to key OL or DL. Players.

We had 2-3 kickoffs that went out of bounds as well. Automatic ball places at 35 yrd line, these are all mistakes that can't happen. We give these breaks to USC or UF and we will regret the aftermath of games we should win by 10+
I only remember one kickoff going out of bounds, but there were two punts that did.

The QB draws up the middle. The 4th and 1 play that was short. A QB sneak would've done the trick. Three passes in a row when they were picking up good yards running the ball. They called the same play, back to back to Squirrel when he got hurt. Overall the play calling got better. Some series left a lot to be desired.
Keep in mind the game was never in jeopardy. Yesterday was a preseason game. It was an opportunity to work on things. We could have won the game without throwing a single pass but needed to work on the passing game. I don’t think we’d have gone for the 4th & 1 against a good team, but maybe I’m wrong.

Fla. looked terrible against Utah, but I am sure they will bring their best when we play them.

How Gators will look when we play them in few weeks but probably even more so how Milton will respond and perform in that type of environment on the road will probably define our season. Nothing new about that - it's back to good old days when to have a great year we must win that early season rivarly game (even if Gators are not very good we still need to finally demonstrate we can win in Gainsville). However if we get through that one and take care of much improved A&M at home it will be a very special year! After watching SCjr last night I'm not worried about them at all - if our defense looks anything like against UVA I think we will destroy SCjr by bigger margin than what they did to us last year (unless we fall apart against Gators and negativity creaps in to affect the rest of the season).

Tennessee Volunteers quarterback Joe Milton III didn't do anything we hadn't seen before against Virginia, but that's no reason for concern as we march forward.

We saw nothing new from Milton in the season opener against Virginia.

Head coach Josh Heupel ran many sets similar to his game plan for the Orange Bowl, and why wouldn't he? Tennessee entered action with a gaping talent disparity, and they didn't have to reinvent the wheel to come out victorious. They ran basic concepts throughout the afternoon, keeping the reads easy for Milton. The coaching staff leaned on the ground game, getting all three running backs extensive touches. They likely feature a similar gameplan next weekend against Austin Peay - the first time they dip into the bag of tricks should be at Florida in week three.

Not yet. I had Joe figured out for about 275 yards or so today. That one beauty of a ball that a toddler could come down with is actually caught and his totals would have been basically dead on what I expected.

Honestly, I'm surprised Joe was in the game as long as he was today. Thought Heup would want to get Nico as much game time as possible in these early games.
Well, the offense had 4 straight drives with no points scored....

We didn't have a sizable lead until the 4th qtr.

Game should have been over by halftime.

Wat? He had a 67% completion rate 2 through the air, 2 in the ground, no ints. I can count on one hand how many bad passes he had.

There's hot takes but the one that Milton didn't play well today is a braindead one.

The offense stalled for 4 straight drives in the 1st half. ...against Virginia lol.

Milton just needs to settle down.

The offense stalled for 4 straight drives in the 1st half. ...against Virginia lol.

Milton just needs to settle down.
First game of the year man. They settled down and took care of business.

UGA was 17-0 against UTM at the end of the first half. No one is out there (except maybe their version of our BVS ridden fans) doubting UGA after a slow start to game 1.

Reactions: TheVolsFrog
Keep in mind the game was never in jeopardy. Yesterday was a preseason game. It was an opportunity to work on things. We could have won the game without throwing a single pass but needed to work on the passing game. I don’t think we’d have gone for the 4th & 1 against a good team, but maybe I’m wrong.
When you put it like that, I agree.

I like the aggressiveness of the front 7.

Reactions: bpalmer28

Define sizable. 18 pts? 32 pts?

Up 21-3 at the half, I saw nothing from the Cavs that made me thinking that were going to get back into this game which was confirmed when we took a 35-3 lead with 7:32 remaining in the 3Q. Frankly, the game was over at the half.

Last edited:
Georgia had 5 punts yesterday vs Tennessee Martin.

Alabama had 3 punts vs MTSU

Michigan had 3 punts, a turnover on downs and two missed FGs against East Carolina

Ohio State had 4 punts and an interception while scoring 23 points against Indiana.

Texas had two turnover on downs, two punts and a missed FG vs Rice

Wisconsin had 5 punts and 2 interceptions vs Buffalo

Kansas State had two punts, a turnover on downs and an interception vs Southeast Missouri State

USC returned the Heisman winning QB and still had two punts and a fumble turnover vs Nevada.

Our 5 punt/1to on downs game yesterday wasn't in any way unusual across college football at the top of the polls, and ours was against an actual p5 opponent.

The old saying biggest improvement us from game 1 to game 2. Sure there are things Heupel will want cleaned up before we head to Gainesville. Playing a power 5 opponent like Virginia was great. Just enough to show what we need to improve on yet not red alert for getting exposed. We will be fine. Lots of football to unfold.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
It was a good first game . We knocked the rust off, the team had fun , the coaches had fun , the fans (90%) had fun . Anyone worried right now should go to the South Carolina and Florida boards for comparison , I think you’ll feel better about us . 😂

What???? It was 21-3 at half and Virginia was being stonewalled by our D. By middle of 3rd it was 35-3. It was over after first possession of second half. It was all but over at half. Virginia had 1 good drive all day. They were dominated, and it could have easily been worse. We had a drop on the big pass and Bru’s toe was barely out. There was never a doubt in the second half no matter how you try to dramatize it. GBO!

It was a good first game . We knocked the rust off, the team had fun , the coaches had fun , the fans (90%) had fun . Anyone worried right now should go to the South Carolina and Florida boards for comparison , I think you’ll feel better about us . 😂
The guy that was sitting about 10ft from me that got projectile vomited on did not have fun.

Reactions: DeepSpringsVol
Played 79 players
Balanced attack --- Rushing big factor
Didn't have to show anything
Beat the spread and over by 8 pts
Everybody healthy after the game
Line looks like they can clear a hole
85 plays on offense.
499 yards
only 4 penalties
27+ minutes in poss
100% in Red Zone
Field Leadership
TFL - +10
Punt/KO Returns

Things to work on

3rd down efficiency
Punting

It's Virginia I am well aware but many yrs of watching Volunteer Football tells me we are pretty good after watching over 60 years of football in the first game. We need to improve and we will.
We showed nothing in this first game and tested some waters on guts of which we need to improve. We will clean these areas up.

We are a very hard team to prepare on defense.

Last edited:
dhurt8955,Do all of volnation a favor and watch our games without comment until you have some basic knowledge about football.We wanted to work on our running game and Oline cohesiveness,and we did.The bombs will fall when needed and all will be well.Go watch Arkansas State if you want to see a real tv role caoch and team play.We do not.

If you expected us to be undefeated national champs and Milton to be a clone of Hooker, then yes you should be worried.
I expected us to be 8-3 this year and Milton to be a slight drop off from Hooker and I didn’t see anything to change my expectation. Milton not as mobile as Hooker and will rely more on the OL to give him time to find his deep receiver.
Bama and Georgia are still the elite teams in the SEC and there are probably 3-4 teams (including UT) a notch behind. With some breaks, one of those teams a notch behind could end up as conference champs.
No one expected Milton to be a clone of hooker. He has a better arm and he is bigger. His upside is much higher…

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
I think Hype was holding back a lot of the offense. As usual the UF game will be a tell all.

VN Store

Back