Just lost ESPN on Spectrum

ABC is still working for me on Spectrum in Florida.
Disney only owns a few actual ABC affiliates. I dont think they can stop the game from airing for the vast majority of abc channels. All their normal programming has been working as well on my Spectrum account.

Reactions: MAD
Don’t know that anything has really taken hold yet, but this was Charter Communications chart action yesterday. This could get expensive for them.

Attachments

• IMG_3282.png
    IMG_3282.png
    239.1 KB · Views: 6
Based on those two articles, this is not going to be solved quickly and it will eventually impact all of the streaming services as many of them also have the "Disney bundle". I actually think Spectrum / Charter is being more forward thinking here in terms of the consumers, where Disney doesn't want to let go of the current approach. It is the sports channels that make their package profitable.

I thought about dumping Spectrum and getting YouTubeTV but I don't want to help Disney because I think they are the bully in this fight.

I found this website this morning by googling "free espn streaming". It's working great for me, and even has Redzone for you NFL fans.

Thank you my good sir. Fired up the ipad and screen mirroring hahah.
It'll due for now lol

Reactions: Notorious B.E.N
I did free trial for YouTube TV. I can watch Gameday and have 2 weeks of air for free so hopefully they figure this out.

Reactions: theroyz71
YouTube settled quick last year when subscribers started cancelling
Exactly. This year they're squeezing Spectrum and everyone's touting YouTube TV as a good option but like you I recalled Disney/ESPN doing the same thing to YouTube TV previously.

Disney is ruthless but they've developed a few products people really like: the Disney movie/park franchise and sports broadcasting.

Cutthroat capitalism isn't pretty but it works better than getting only the media content that some govt entity thinks we should get.

I did free trial for YouTube TV. I can watch Gameday and have 2 weeks of air for free so hopefully they figure this out.
I tried YT TV a couple of years ago.
I'm thinking about creating another gmail account and getting a trial that way LOL

Disney only owns a few actual ABC affiliates. I dont think they can stop the game from airing for the vast majority of abc channels. All their normal programming has been working as well on my Spectrum account.
Yep. I'm on Spectrum, and I'm still getting ABC but not any ESPN, SECN or FX/Disney channels.

Reactions: mackievol
YouTube settled quick last year when subscribers started cancelling

I am an optimist and believe, based on that same reason you state, that Spectrum and Disney will settle this by next weekend. All the SEC games on ESPN channels today are probably not going to be that good anyway. Spectrum right now is betting the unsub scribers will be minimal this weekend to keep holding out longer but next Sat it will be a big problem if not resolved.

And waiting until the CFB games started to pull the plug on Spectrum is a dirty low level gutter tactic by Disney.

Last edited:
I am an optimist and believe, based on that same reason you state, that Spectrum and Disney will settle this by next weekend. All the SEC games on ESPN channels today are probably not going to be that good anyway. Spectrum right now is betting the unsub scribers will be minimal this weekend to keep holding out longer but next Sat it will be a big problem if not resolved.

And waiting until the CFB games started to pull the plug on Spectrum is a dirty low level gutter tactic by Disney.
They knew what they were doing. It's different from YTTV though. Disney needs Charter because they are an ISP. You Tube didn't have that leverage. I'm not a fan of Charter but they have a point here. Disney is 100% double dipping.

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
Important point- a huge part of this Spectrum/Disney negotiation is on the conference expansions/realignments. They're expanding to gain tv markets. And the networks bid on those broadcast rights, so they're having to pay more. Along with added ad venue they need to squeeze the providers to recoup their money. So if you love Tx and OK coming to the sec.... don't bitch. Ultimately, the fans are picking up the tab and getting screwed.

Reactions: Tnphil
Important point- a huge part of this Spectrum/Disney negotiation is on the conference expansions/realignments. They're expanding to gain tv markets. And the networks bid on those broadcast rights, so they're having to pay more. Along with added ad venue they need to squeeze the providers to recoup their money. So if you love Tx and OK coming to the sec.... don't bitch. Ultimately, the fans are picking up the tab and getting screwed.

What tv market are they looking for outside of the sec and ACC? The 4 PAC? Big 12ish?

Yep. I'm on Spectrum, and I'm still getting ABC but not any ESPN, SECN or FX/Disney channels.
Just FYI you might want a back up plan. Spectrum told my dad his ABC feed will be cut right before kickoff just like the UF game was. Hopefully that doesn't actually happen.

So, I just happened to click on the ESPN app on Roku. I’m watching GameDay currently. Not sure why that is because I know I haven’t purchased that app or any ESPN app individually. Is it because we have the Disney + bundle or because we have Spectrum and they just haven’t cut the feed from the app yet? TIA. So many gaps, caveats and questions about this whole deal.

Don’t blame Spectrum only. Blame Disney too. They are the ones who cut the feed after all.

VN Store

Back