College Baseball Blue Bloods.

EconVol92

So, exactly who are the college baseball blue bloods?

I know that Tennessee would be more nouveau riche at this time, but who would be considered a blue blood other than LSU and Texas?

Reactions: txbo and VolPack22
Doesn't seem like baseball has the same "blue blood" stickiness that football and basketball have. It shifts more over time, maybe more similar to women's basketball. LSU and Miami are who immediately come to mind for me, but neither have won a title in quite some time. USC has the most titles, but none in the last 25 years, so are they really still a blue blood?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
List of most college world series appearances.

• Texas: 36
  • Miami: 25
  • Florida State: 23
  • Arizona State: 22
  • Southern California: 21
  • Oklahoma State: 20
  • Arizona: 18
  • Cal St. Fullerton: 18
  • LSU: 19
  • Stanford: 18
  • Florida: 13
  • Clemson, Mississippi State: 12
  • North Carolina and South Carolina: 11
  • Arkansas, Northern Colorado and Oklahoma: 10
  • Michigan: 8
  • Maine, Oregon St., Rice, Wichita State: 7
  • California, Georgia, Missouri, St. John’s (NY), TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Virginia, Western Michigan: 6
  • Alabama, Auburn, Louisville, Minnesota, Ole Miss, Penn St., Southern Illinois, UCLA, UConn, Vanderbilt: 5

List of most college world series appearances.

• Texas: 36
  • Miami: 25
  • Florida State: 23
  • Arizona State: 22
  • Southern California: 21
  • Oklahoma State: 20
  • Arizona: 18
  • Cal St. Fullerton: 18
  • LSU: 19
  • Stanford: 18
  • Florida: 13
  • Clemson, Mississippi State: 12
  • North Carolina and South Carolina: 11
  • Arkansas, Northern Colorado and Oklahoma: 10
  • Michigan: 8
  • Maine, Oregon St., Rice, Wichita State: 7
  • California, Georgia, Missouri, St. John’s (NY), TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Virginia, Western Michigan: 6
  • Alabama, Auburn, Louisville, Minnesota, Ole Miss, Penn St., Southern Illinois, UCLA, UConn, Vanderbilt: 5

Bolding for emphasis

Doesn't seem like baseball has the same "blue blood" stickiness that football and basketball have. It shifts more over time, maybe more similar to women's basketball. LSU and Miami are who immediately come to mind for me, but neither have won a title in quite some time. USC has the most titles, but none in the last 25 years, so are they really still a blue blood?
USC won 10 titles over a 20 year period. That’s the gold standard and probably will never be duplicated. They are not currently a good program but they are the OG blue blood.

I only say Vanderbilt deserves love because with the few times they have made Omaha they have brought back 2 Championships. Maybe they arent a blue blood but they sure have had a lot of success recently.
They also exploited a distinct recruiting advantage that no other program in the national could compete with. I have no respect for that program no matter what their recent success is.

They also exploited a distinct recruiting advantage that no other program in the national could compete with. I have no respect for that program no matter what their recent success is.
Do you care to explain what this 'distinct recruiting advantage' is that you speak of? I'm not so sure I'm familiar with what your answer will be.

Do you care to explain what this 'distinct recruiting advantage' is that you speak of? I'm not so sure I'm familiar with what your answer will be.
Under NCAA rules, a Division 1 baseball team’s 11.7 scholarships can be divided between a maximum of 27 players on a 35-player roster, with all players on athletic scholarship having to receive a minimum of a 25 percent scholarship.

That leaves room for eight walk-ons.

But Vanderbilt, a private school, gets around this through Opportunity Vanderbilt, which promised that any student who was admitted to the school would not be prevented from attending due to cost of tuition.

“The school looked at each student’s family income, how much it could reasonably provide for their child to attend Vanderbilt, and subtracted that from the regular cost (Vanderbilt’s tuition for the 2018-19 school year was over $70,000),” according to The Post and Courier.

Opportunity Vanderbilt allows the Vanderbilt baseball program to “legally cheat.”

Every year there are a lot of kids that come from low-income families, and there’s no way they can afford to go play college baseball, because they’re not even getting the full scholarship.

Their parents would have to kick in, and they can’t afford to.

So what do these kids do? They go straight to minor league baseball, and take their bonus money and go on.

Well, Vanderbilt gets around this by saying, “Hey. Hang on. We’ll bring you in here. What’s your family income?”

And then they determine, “Okay, you only have to pay this. Because that’s not going as a part of the athletic scholarship money that person would have, they can apply more of it to their room and board.”

Under NCAA rules, a Division 1 baseball team’s 11.7 scholarships can be divided between a maximum of 27 players on a 35-player roster, with all players on athletic scholarship having to receive a minimum of a 25 percent scholarship.

That leaves room for eight walk-ons.

But Vanderbilt, a private school, gets around this through Opportunity Vanderbilt, which promised that any student who was admitted to the school would not be prevented from attending due to cost of tuition.

“The school looked at each student’s family income, how much it could reasonably provide for their child to attend Vanderbilt, and subtracted that from the regular cost (Vanderbilt’s tuition for the 2018-19 school year was over $70,000),” according to The Post and Courier.

Opportunity Vanderbilt allows the Vanderbilt baseball program to “legally cheat.”

Every year there are a lot of kids that come from low-income families, and there’s no way they can afford to go play college baseball, because they’re not even getting the full scholarship.

Their parents would have to kick in, and they can’t afford to.

So what do these kids do? They go straight to minor league baseball, and take their bonus money and go on.

Well, Vanderbilt gets around this by saying, “Hey. Hang on. We’ll bring you in here. What’s your family income?”

And then they determine, “Okay, you only have to pay this. Because that’s not going as a part of the athletic scholarship money that person would have, they can apply more of it to their room and board.”
Vandy fan exposes himself …🤣
He doth protest too much.

Opportunity Vanderbilt is a great program for education, but has been exploited by the baseball program. I only wonder why the football hasn't seen fit to use it as well, and end the walk on program entirely.

Opportunity Vanderbilt is a great program for education, but has been exploited by the baseball program. I only wonder why the football hasn't seen fit to use it as well, and end the walk on program entirely.
Baseball is different than football. Football, everyone gets a full ride no matter what until you get past the 85 limit. Nobody wants to go play for that trash program whenever you will have everything taken care of at a much better program. Baseball programs have always gotten the short end of the stick whenever it comes to the major college sports. Football and basketball run the show.

VN Store

Back