2023 Transfer Portal - General NCAA Thread

Man, are we ever going to get an impact player from the portal? Crazy how we keep striking out.

Transfers are kind of already set in their ways. They aren’t looking to get out to then take hard coaching. Freshmen know what Barnes provides and sign up for it. Plus, we develop enough talent that transfers may not see the playing time they want.

I really don't like portal it's a crapshoot on what you get look at our history Key aaah and before that the guy who ended up at Santa Barbara Anioskie. I prefer recruiting and teaching and coaching from Freshmen year. These players from portal are mostly mid major players now if a Livingston from KY or a Roach from Duke then we're talking a whole different ballgame then

I really don't like portal it's a crapshoot on what you get look at our history Key aaah and before that the guy who ended up at Santa Barbara Anioskie. I prefer recruiting and teaching and coaching from Freshmen year. These players from portal are mostly mid major players now if a Livingston from KY or a Roach from Duke then we're talking a whole different ballgame then
There are several programs who took great advantage of the portal. Just like recruiting, it's a matter of evaluation and fit. We made some mistakes and hopefully have learned from it. Next years success or lack thereof depends on how well we do in the portal this time around. We obviously need some veteran help to bridge a gap in recruiting.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
There are several programs who took great advantage of the portal. Just like recruiting, it's a matter of evaluation and fit. We made some mistakes and hopefully have learned from it. Next years success or lack thereof depends on how well we do in the portal this time around. We obviously need some veteran help to bridge a gap in recruiting.

The programs who benefitted from the portal this year took multiple transfers. We usually only take 1 and may consider 2.

Mizzou, Arkansas, UK, Auburn, Texas all had multiple transfers that contributed. The more you take, the better a chance that some produce.

No one should build a program with transfers, but getting guys to plug a need here and there is absolutely a viable approach. Tennessee tried to get Tyrese Hunter from the portal last year, but we finished 2nd to Texas. If we’d gotten him, we’d still have a solid PG after ZZ went down. Guarantee Texas is glad to have him.

We need another PG who is ready to play next year and a big who is ready to play next year. If we can get those from the portal, we absolutely should.

Wouldn't mind seeing us kick the tires here. I know he’s had injury issues, but Ike has been unstoppable for stretches at Wyoming.

We love lefties. Interesting player. Deceptively quick although not a leaper. Willing passer out of double team and loves to go iso on wing and back opposing defender into the paint.

The programs who benefitted from the portal this year took multiple transfers. We usually only take 1 and may consider 2.

Mizzou, Arkansas, UK, Auburn, Texas all had multiple transfers that contributed. The more you take, the better a chance that some produce.
Point taken. Having said that I see us taking 2 and won't be shocked if space opens allowing a third.... assuming my math is correct...and it never was a strength.

Reactions: VolGee4
A lot of talk about Altman potentially being done at Oregon, if N’faly Dante were to enter the portal would we want him, assuming Phillips returns and just 2 open spots? He’s a very good player but how much would he raise the ceiling of next years team verse a PG and maybe wing/4 scorer?

6’11” 230lbs 26mpg 13.4ppg 8.4rpg 1.4bpg 61.4%fg

A lot of talk about Altman potentially being done at Oregon, if N’faly Dante were to enter the portal would we want him, assuming Phillips returns and just 2 open spots? He’s a very good player but how much would he raise the ceiling of next years team verse a PG and maybe wing/4 scorer?

6’11” 230lbs 26mpg 13.4ppg 8.4rpg 1.4bpg 61.4%fg
Absolutely! Dante is an immediate take if he enters the portal. Nkamhoua replacement. Then add a PG.

Absolutely! Dante is an immediate take if he enters the portal. Nkamhoua replacement. Then add a PG.
I would lean take too, I just think it’s an interesting conversation…he’s a 5, he can’t play the 4 like Nkamhoua, so you’re taking away minutes from Aidoo and likely Awaka as well. My biggest question is what’s Awaka next year, his numbers translate better rebounds and a couple less points to Dante, would that play out? If you’re giving Awaka 25mpg and he’s putting up 10 & 12 would you still take Dante?

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Dante posting those numbers in the Pac-12 with his size would also be a guy I'd want. What is impressive is that each season his numbers climbed with more minutes, but he's been an 8/6 guy for 3 of his 4 seasons there basically.

Would take some pressure off Cade/JP in year 1 but also wouldn't be here longer than a season so unlikely to push anyone to portal themselves.

Also Oregon is a defensive team so he's already accustomed to playing on that end of the court.

I would lean take too, I just think it’s an interesting conversation…he’s a 5, he can’t play the 4 like Nkamhoua, so you’re taking away minutes from Aidoo and likely Awaka as well. My biggest question is what’s Awaka next year, his numbers translate better rebounds and a couple less points to Dante, would that play out? If you’re giving Awaka 25mpg and he’s putting up 10 & 12 would you still take Dante?

Awaka and Aidoo could however play the 4 though.

Let’s say we’re looking at a 5. I think they see Awaka splitting 4/5 minutes, not just 5.
I know Awaka has played some 4 this year I just struggle seeing him in that position without developing at least a knockdown 15 footer…maybe that’s the plan but haven’t seen even a hint of it yet.

I think Awaka has an ability to play the 4, eventually. He has the quickness and a good enough shot that he can develop a little more range. Aidoo isn't necessarily restricted to playing in the paint, either, though I'm not sure Aidoo and Dante on the floor together is a great combo. I think Awaka and Dante could co-exist on the floor. Also, we had situations where Nkamhoua played the 5 in a small ball lineup. So he's not an exact like-for-like replacement, but he can replace that production, I think.

Reactions: berryvol
Meh, it’s not ideal and that’s gonna give terrible spacing, we have seen some of that this year but not much at all…and every time we do people are questioning why we are doing it.

Awaka is arguably the best athlete of our bigs with ON. And unlike the rest of the guys he came in late and got no off season conditioning or work.

I think if we do pursue a true 5 like Dante it will signal the staff believes Awaka can be molded into more of a 4 guy (which I think long term is better for him and the team). Because let's be honest we're not likely expecting Awaka to be a 10 to 12 points a night guy next season. We're going to have a lot more depth on the wing and I expect we'll see our leading 3 scorers being guards/wing guys (especially if Phillips returns).

Reactions: Volfan1000
I think Awaka has an ability to play the 4, eventually. He has the quickness and a good enough shot that he can develop a little more range. Aidoo isn't necessarily restricted to playing in the paint, either, though I'm not sure Aidoo and Dante on the floor together is a great combo. I think Awaka and Dante could co-exist on the floor. Also, we had situations where Nkamhoua played the 5 in a small ball lineup. So he's not an exact like-for-like replacement, but he can replace that production, I think.
Would definitely be an interesting idea, Awaka isn’t close to Nkamhoua from a lateral quickness standpoint at least currently as we’ve seen many times. Would need Estrella or Phillips to be ready to play a lot of 4 if the matchups dictated it, not sure I would feel great about our chances of guarding smaller/quicker 4’s as those guys being our options, like I said none are comparable to Nkamhoua in that area imo.

Also wonder who emerges as the Pons/JJJ small ball 4 on next year's roster.

I think Phillips has the size/length...but feel like he needs some serious weight room work. JJJ and Pons are just different body types than Julian. Could DJ be that guy? He's 6'5" and already pushing 210 and really athletic, but has his defensive game improved this year enough to be reliable out there?

Would definitely be an interesting idea, Awaka isn’t close to Nkamhoua from a lateral quickness standpoint at least currently as we’ve seen many times. Would need Estrella or Phillips to be ready to play a lot of 4 if the matchups dictated it, not sure I would feel great about our chances of guarding smaller/quicker 4’s as those guys being our options, like I said none are comparable to Nkamhoua in that area imo.
Agreed. I see Dante as more of a like-for-like replacement for Plavsic, but with the production capability of Nkamhoua.

I wouldn't hate an eventual lineup of...

Zeigler, Dilione, Mashack, Phillips, Dante

I'm starting to wonder what is more important to next year's team. Obviously you need a PG in the event ZZ can't go. But if you have confidence in Dilione/Mashack/BJE holding down that spot, is a combo guard who is an elite shooter more of a priority? I'm not sure we are going to have enough outside shooting threats, next year, without improvement from Phillips, Dilione, Mashack, and Edwards.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Also wonder who emerges as the Pons/JJJ small ball 4 on next year's roster.

I think Phillips has the size/length...but feel like he needs some serious weight room work. JJJ and Pons are just different body types than Julian. Could DJ be that guy? He's 6'5" and already pushing 210 and really athletic, but has his defensive game improved this year enough to be reliable out there?
Yea that was kinda my mindset/thought process with the Dante hypothetical, I think they need someone in that role. Like you said maybe it’s Phillips, I think Jefferson potentially could be but obviously that’s an unknown, as is Estrella or Cade. Mashack has played it some this year when JJJ is out, that’s a possibility I suppose.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
I mean in a perfect world you'd land you a PG who is also a great outside shooter.

With Dilione, DJ, Mashack, Edwards, and Carr next year I wonder if the staff feels like they can handle things.

Honestly I'm more concerned about next season missing 3 of our best defenders in ZZ, Santi, and JJJ

VN Store

Back