The Official 2022 FIFA World Cup Thread

There is no coming back from this for Gregg Berhalter.
Probably not, but I sincerely hope that Berhalter wasn't the long term plan for the MNT in the first place. Particularly with having one of the youngest squads the this WC, and hosting the next one. Of course this is US soccer we're talking about, so who knows.

Probably not, but I sincerely hope that Berhalter wasn't the long term plan for the MNT in the first place. Particularly with having one of the youngest squads the this WC, and hosting the next one. Of course this is US soccer we're talking about, so who knows.

The one thing I have learned as a soccer fan is that nobody is ever happy with their coach for very long. We think it's bad in college football, LOL. There is no patience with new coaches and a proven track record doesn't hold up well against recent failures. The overall approval ratings for the last 6 USMNT coaches were not high, so if Berhalter isn't the coach, who would it be? Another guy we're going to be complaining about in 4 years? I don't know how I feel about Berhalter and have no idea about the replacement, but I do think that there isn't anything broken. I think we just need some adjustments. Either we need that big striker to stand out, or we need Berhalter to adjust the system/lineup to simply put our best guys out there. Hell, I think we could tinker with both kinds of attacks and have both options for next WC.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAD
The one thing I have learned as a soccer fan is that nobody is ever happy with their coach for very long. We think it's bad in college football, LOL. There is no patience with new coaches and a proven track record doesn't hold up well against recent failures. The overall approval ratings for the last 6 USMNT coaches were not high, so if Berhalter isn't the coach, who would it be? Another guy we're going to be complaining about in 4 years? I don't know how I feel about Berhalter and have no idea about the replacement, but I do think that there isn't anything broken. I think we just need some adjustments. Either we need that big striker to stand out, or we need Berhalter to adjust the system/lineup to simply put our best guys out there. Hell, I think we could tinker with both kinds of attacks and have both options for next WC.
Coaches for national teams are always going to come and go. It’s just not a type of job that the top coaches in the world are ever going to be interested in. It’s essentially a part-time position, as 4-5 times a year you have a bunch of guys who never play together assemble for a couple weeks and try to make the best of it, and then once every four years you get together for about six weeks and play a series of matches that mean everything.

Add to that the fact that you have little to no control over who those players actually are, aside from occasionally trying to convince an extremely talented 18 year old to play for you as opposed to one of the other nations he might also be eligible to play for, and it’s a tough sell. The pool of national team coaches generally consists of guys who either never quite could hack it at the club level, had some success at a club but are now rebuilding their reputation, or are no longer interested in that year-round grind.

I don’t know who from that background profile would suit the USMNT. Maybe Jesse Marsch when he’s inevitably sacked by Leeds in the next year or two? Maybe Roberto Martinez who had one of the most talented teams in the world the past 4-6 years and never won anything? You’re right that there isn’t an obvious better option at the moment. I just know the results (particularly during qualifying) have been underwhelming, and to have now fallen out with one of your most talented youngsters isn’t great.

Reactions: n_huffhines
Coaches for national teams are always going to come and go. It’s just not a type of job that the top coaches in the world are ever going to be interested in. It’s essentially a part-time position, as 4-5 times a year you have a bunch of guys who never play together assemble for a couple weeks and try to make the best of it, and then once every four years you get together for about six weeks and play a series of matches that mean everything.

Add to that the fact that you have little to no control over who those players actually are, aside from occasionally trying to convince an extremely talented 18 year old to play for you as opposed to one of the other nations he might also be eligible to play for, and it’s a tough sell. The pool of national team coaches generally consists of guys who either never quite could hack it at the club level, had some success at a club but are now rebuilding their reputation, or are no longer interested in that year-round grind.

I don’t know who from that background profile would suit the USMNT. Maybe Jesse Marsch when he’s inevitably sacked by Leeds in the next year or two? Maybe Roberto Martinez who had one of the most talented teams in the world the past 4-6 years and never won anything? You’re right that there isn’t an obvious better option at the moment. I just know the results (particularly during qualifying) have been underwhelming, and to have now fallen out with one of your most talented youngsters isn’t great.
Your first two paragraphs are why I was a bit surprised about the rumors of Tuchel wanting to be the next Three Lions manager. I’ve read that from multiple respected football writers so I think there is truth there. How bad does he want to manage them? Not sure, but there’s certainly interest on his side.

With everything going on personally for him and the how he seems to wear on ownership groups over time, I could honestly see it. The down time between camps and international windows would keep him fresh.

I thought that a bit harsh to call that a penalty. I was for Argentina, but now am for Croatia.

Edit: Before I could post the above, A scores with a quality goal right there.

That second goal was the luckiest **** I've ever seen. He was begging them to take the ball and they tapped it right back to him twice.

Brian Schmetzer might merit a look too but I don't know if he has any interest in ever leaving Seattle. Whoever it is, I'm hoping we wind up hosting the 2024 Copa America and get another big tournament in before 2026.

That second goal was the luckiest **** I've ever seen. He was begging them to take the ball and they tapped it right back to him twice.
Maybe, but many great runs from players involve being strong on the ball and seemingly having the ball stick to them. Balls find goal scorers and finally Messi has a kid that can finish and work like 2 men in the press.

Morocco can bloody their nose. This feels like Giroud and Griezmann will need to work magic again. Defend and counter might frustrate the heck our of the French. Either way, I'm all in for Messi now.

Morocco can bloody their nose. This feels like Giroud and Griezmann will need to work magic again. Defend and counter might frustrate the heck our of the French. Either way, I'm all in for Messi now.
It’s going to be a battle. Morocco hasn’t allowed a single goal by the opponent all tournament. Just one own goal.

Reactions: C/O
The string of opponents Morocco has had to play is nuts, both in terms of quality of the teams they've played and their country's connection to those countries...wonder if they'll have even more motivation today playing the French.

Reactions: Nash_Vol97

VN Store

Back