Netherlands Protests Over Nitrogen Pollution Initiatives

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
This is a recent phenomenon for me, because I was completely unaware that the green movement had a war on nitrogen.

Dutch Protesters Pour Manure On Government Offices Over Industry-Killing Regulations | ZeroHedge

Dutch farmers who have been protesting for weeks over the government's radical plan to cut nitrogen emissions by 50% - 95% by 2030 have taken things to the next level - pouring manure on government offices in response to the plan which would cause widespread chaos - including the death of 1/3 of Dutch farms.
And what did the Dutch government have to say about the new law?

"The honest message … is that not all farmers can continue their business."

Throughout history if you look back, you will always notice people living better than they did 100 years ago.

Yet the real claim here of the eco-bros is that if we do not make mass changes that will result in decreasing the standard of living for people across the globe, then 100 years from now, life may be slightly worse for people

Last edited:
What is the science behind this anyways?
The makeup of the air we breath has nitrogen, CO2 and O2 at right around 21%. The Dutch government per Paris accord has decided farming unbalances that with too much nitrogen and has decided to arbitrarily to eliminate 30% of farmers. They are really pissed. It’s not good to piss of farmers.

They honked off the fishermen too. The Dutch gov seems to be checking all the wrong boxes.

Last edited:
The makeup of the air we breath has nitrogen, CO2 and O2 at right around 21%. The Dutch government per Paris accord has decided farming unbalances that with too much nitrogen and has decided to arbitrarily to eliminate 30% of farmers. They are really pissed. It’s not good to piss of farmers.

That isn't science. What are the adverse affects of an extra few percentage of N2, which is 78% anyways.

Nitrogen is a problem with water pollution and around the world we do use too much nitrogen based fertilizer but their solution is plain stupid.

Ahhh I get it..I was thinking the gas not fertilizer. Thanks

Nitrogen is a problem with water pollution and around the world we do use too much nitrogen based fertilizer but their solution is plain stupid.
It’s the most prolific gas freely available around us every day. I assume you are pointing to nitrogen levels rising in reservoirs from ground water runoff? That isn’t a free gas that’s captured in solid compounds.

Ahhh I get it..I was thinking the gas not fertilizer. Thanks

Nitrogen and phosphates used in fertilizer caused algae blooms which reduces oxygen in water. The problem is we as a species try to grow things in areas not meant for agriculture and build in areas with good soil. Plus everybody wants that green yard so over-fertilization at the homeowner level is a big problem.

It’s the most prolific gas freely available around us every day. I assume you are pointing to nitrogen levels rising in reservoirs from ground water runoff? That isn’t a free gas that’s captured in solid compounds.

Yes, that is what I am talking about. And believe that is what they are attempting to reduce with this idiocy.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Yes, that is what I am talking about. And believe that is what they are attempting to reduce with this idiocy.
Ah ok. I might have pulled an “orangeburst”. In my defense these idiots have been screeching on green house “gases” so long I just assume this is their latest idiotic target.

Nitrogen and phosphates used in fertilizer caused algae blooms which reduces oxygen in water. The problem is we as a species try to grow things in areas not meant for agriculture and build in areas with good soil. Plus everybody wants that green yard so over-fertilization at the homeowner level is a big problem.
I personally don’t care if the Johnson’s yard is greener than mine. No fertilizer will be used in my yard because I get this concept.

I personally don’t care if the Johnson’s yard is greener than mine. No fertilizer will be used in my yard because I get this concept.

It's ok to use some fertilizer but most homeowners and really too many farmers way over fertilize and the excess nitrogen and phosphates runoff with the rain.

Ah ok. I might have pulled an “orangeburst”. In my defense these idiots have been screeching on green house “gases” so long I just assume this is their latest idiotic target.

giphy.gif

It's ok to use some fertilizer but most homeowners and really too many farmers way over fertilize and the excess nitrogen and phosphates runoff with the rain.
Any farmer that is over fertilizing is cutting heavily into his profit margin. And forcing farming on poor soils is auto correcting also. I think ground water pollution is largely driven by suburban fools obsessed with a green yard where a green yard doesn’t want to exist. My idiot ass is a prime example of this.

Any farmer that is over fertilizing is cutting heavily into his profit margin. And forcing farming on poor soils is auto correcting also. I think ground water pollution is largely driven by suburban fools obsessed with a green yard where a green yard doesn’t want to exist. My idiot ass is a prime example of this.

Most of the farming in CA is done on poor soils that require heavy fertilization along with irrigation but yeah you're right homeowners are a big problem.

Most of the farming in CA is done on poor soils that require heavy fertilization along with irrigation but yeah you're right homeowners are a big problem.
The northern part of CA has some amazing farmland. But yeah I’ve got to say that I was always amazed at the carrot production occurring every season right smack in the Mojave.

VN Store

Back