Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

So I just got off the phone with my financial advisor. I now have an in office appointment with her on May 5th at 1pm.

Purpose of meeting: Filling out and assembling my retirement paperwork and preparing for sending to the pension benefits center. Date of retirement on paperwork: June 30th

View attachment 450318

Congrats...and then you're going out to hit the bars for the Corona-created holiday of Cinco de Mayo?

Used bottled carbonated water for brushing my teeth in Argentina when I used to travel there back around 2001/2002. It feels like your camping or something. Outside of that use scenario, I have zero use for carbonated water.
It still helps cut the paint thinner taste of bad scotch. Just at this point in my life I don’t have enough time left to tolerate bad liquor anymore.

Reactions: AM64
So I just got off the phone with my financial advisor. I now have an in office appointment with her on May 5th at 1pm.

Purpose of meeting: Filling out and assembling my retirement paperwork and preparing for sending to the pension benefits center. Date of retirement on paperwork: June 30th

View attachment 450318

Congrats, I know that feeling. I was ready to go, but I was still a little apprehensive, but 4 years later I love it, and I've finally learned to sleep past 7AM. My goal is to sleep to 10AM someday, like my parents did in their later years.

Congrats, I know that feeling. I was ready to go, but I was still a little apprehensive, but 4 years later I love it, and I've finally learned to sleep past 7AM. My goal is to sleep to 10AM someday, like my parents did in their later years.

10 AM is no sweat, but I do try to be up by noon. What I hate is a bathroom trip at 6 AM and not being able to get right back to sleep. I can't imagine being up at that time of day without some really good reason.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I can't imagine sleeping past 6am on a regular basis.

It's just the way my clock is wired. As a toddler, my parents would find me up in the middle of the night playing. Years of having to get up for work never fixed it - just made me grumpy. Worked out well for our Tahiti trip several years ago - my body never caught up with the six hour time lag, so I was up bright and early every day.

It's just the way my clock is wired. As a toddler, my parents would find me up in the middle of the night playing. Years of having to get up for work never fixed it - just made me grumpy. Worked out well for our Tahiti trip several years ago - my body never caught up with the six hour time lag, so I was up bright and early every day.

That's funny.

Get a text every monday morning from Principal for my 401k. This morning brought my ytd down to -11%...4 months i lost almost $10,000 due to the effing morons running this country . I pulled 100% of my remaining investments from the market and moved them into a fixed rate moneymarket kinda thing. I will earn very little interest until i decide to jump back in....but I watched the my Pappaw and Dad each lose 25 t0 30% of their entire retirements in 2008 debacle then die before they ever recovered all of the hundreds of thousands they lost.

9 out of my Dads 11 siblings including him have gotten serious cancers in their early to mid 60s and all have died save 1. I cannot even fathom how much money those 8 dead folks paid into SS and never drew hardly anything....SS will be solvent(insolvent?) By 2030 and projections currently say if i did manage to live long enough to actually draw some that it would only be 70% of my EARNED benefit stated on my SS documents. Then, if I decided to draw early at 62 i would only get 75%of that 70%...so about half of what i have been promised for my entire 30 years of hard work so far . Totally screwed. All the more reason i am not willing to lose my butt in the stock market now and spend my years 45 to 50 (or maybe 47 to 52) just trying to earn back all the $ that i lost because of the embarrassing inept leadership of our country . No thanks. I think most of us here have a hunch about when the economy is likely to improve again in a couple years, and what imminent change in 2 years will likely be the catalyst. I will try to buy back into the market then, having skipped (sadly) the part where many people lose their butts due to runaway inflation, another housing bubble, supply chain problems, $5 gallons of gas etc . I simply cant afford to lose another 10 or $20k.

*fun fact:

Did you know that as a legally married man i cannot change the beneficiary of my 401k from my wife to anyone(s) else without a signed and notorized document from her stating that she was made aware of the change???

That is complete BS!!! Especially in the modern womens lib state of the US where more females are accepted to and graduate from college every year than males....and thus are more likely to have professional jobs with retirement plans. Total BS in my opinion...

Reactions: AM64
Get a text every monday morning from Principal for my 401k. This morning brought my ytd down to -11%...4 months i lost almost $10,000 due to the effing morons running this country . I pulled 100% of my remaining investments from the market and moved them into a fixed rate moneymarket kinda thing. I will earn very little interest until i decide to jump back in....but I watched the my Pappaw and Dad each lose 25 t0 30% of their entire retirements in 2008 debacle then die before they ever recovered all of the hundreds of thousands they lost.

9 out of my Dads 11 siblings including him have gotten serious cancers in their early to mid 60s and all have died save 1. I cannot even fathom how much money those 8 dead folks paid into SS and never drew hardly anything....SS will be solvent(insolvent?) By 2030 and projections currently say if i did manage to live long enough to actually draw some that it would only be 70% of my EARNED benefit stated on my SS documents. Then, if I decided to draw early at 62 i would only get 75%of that 70%...so about half of what i have been promised for my entire 30 years of hard work so far . Totally screwed. All the more reason i am not willing to lose my butt in the stock market now and spend my years 45 to 50 (or maybe 47 to 52) just trying to earn back all the $ that i lost because of the embarrassing inept leadership of our country . No thanks. I think most of us here have a hunch about when the economy is likely to improve again in a couple years, and what imminent change in 2 years will likely be the catalyst. I will try to buy back into the market then, having skipped (sadly) the part where many people lose their butts due to runaway inflation, another housing bubble, supply chain problems, $5 gallons of gas etc . I simply cant afford to lose another 10 or $20k.

*fun fact:

Did you know that as a legally married man i cannot change the beneficiary of my 401k from my wife to anyone(s) else without a signed and notorized document from her stating that she was made aware of the change???

That is complete BS!!! Especially in the modern womens lib state of the US where more females are accepted to and graduate from college every year than males....and thus are more likely to have professional jobs with retirement plans. Total BS in my opinion...
In all fairness, she can't change without your consent, either.

Reactions: Vol423
They just reported on the local news that according to Redfin the average budget Middle Tennessee people have to work with for homes is $570k. The average budget for people moving from out of town is $730k. Most of the people moving in from out of town are coming from CALIFORNIA! The reason is the ability to be able to work from home so many are moving from the coastal areas to more reasonable places to live in the interior of the US. They are sometimes offering double whereas people who already live here are normally offering the asking price. They are driving up the prices!

Reactions: AM64 and Wireless1

VN Store

Back