Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've come to terms that its going to take a few seasons before we are seen as legitimate contenders. We just arent in the upper echolon of CFB in most of these recruits minds. Though we are certainly capable of getting back there. The only way we change it is with time. We have to earn our way by building a culture of success. Unfortunately its crowded at the top.

Everybody in the West expects to be good. Everybody outside of Vandy in the East at least has some momentum. Florida eventually will again. We're competing in the toughest conference and its only getting tougher. There is no overnight success. There are no magic tricks. We have to be patient and build quietly and efficiently. Take the best players we can and build a solid team that plays for each other and can compete with anybody.

The good news is we finally have a coach that's a bull in the ring. Nobody is going to enjoy playing us for the foreseeable future. We will eventually become synonymous with speed and scoring a lot and doing it fast. We have to finish the job on the big stage. We have to beat UGA or Bama. Thats the path out of this. Once that happens the floodgates can open again. The top talent will believe in the vision. Right now there's just been too much damage to the brand for these players that can go anywhere they want.

That being said, there's plenty of paths to improving the roster before next year. We just can't expect to be strolling right into every big dog battle and coming out on top just yet.

I agree with this take.

We're all eager to get to the top of the East. I know I certainly am. But I remember back when Spurrier (*spits words out of mouth*) built USCe to a regular threat in the East. He got them in that range around 10 wins pretty regularly, a few more quality recruits started showing up, and eventually, they were near the top of the discussion regularly. I could certainly be wrong, but it seems like that's our path.

I know everyone wants win-the-East-or-bust. And I think that's the right goal. But getting back is going to take building a history and pattern of winning. If we plateau at 9-11 wins for a few years, that's a marked improvement on the trash records we've been posting. But if we did that for a few years in a row, while being a real threat in big games, recruits would understand that they're coming to a place where winning is normal and they can expect it. We just haven't had that for a long time.

Building a "winning culture" (a proven history that our teams can regularly expect to win) will take us where we want to be. And then, by the time Napier's clock runs out and Saban retires and Dabo is in the NFL, we'll be back in the conversation as a power to contend with.

With regards,
One of those eternal sunshine pumpers...

iu

Unless we flip someone like West or Tolan, I don't think we finish with a Top 20 class. We currently sit at 18 in the 247 composite. Our TE commit has supposedly been processed, and the only players we seem expected to add are Justin Williams and Gabriel Jacas. If you look at the teams behind us and do the math, it doesn't look good for us to stay Top 20. As long as we do well in the portal, class rank won't end up mattering, but people shouldn't be surprised if we do drop out of the Top 20.
It will be ok….it’s more important that we hit on the guys we do get…. If our staff doesn’t then it won’t matter where we are ranked….. just look at the Big 12…. Texas and Oklahoma always in or right around the top 10 in recruiting…. Oklahoma State and Baylor are always ranked 35 and below when it comes to recruiting…. We will be fine as long as we keep becoming a more steady program.

Last edited:
Anybody who thinks we’re going 9-3 next year is in for a disappointment. I could very well see another 7 win season. Don’t think we’ll be that much improved defensively, given how the roster looks now. That could change with some portal additions however. Let’s be patient, and let this guy build a program. Easier said than done, but I personally believe we’re looking at a solid 5-6 year rebuild before we’re really ready to compete with the top programs in this league.
U must not have taken a peek at next year’s schedule. 9 wins next season is very much in the realm of possibility.

I'm still in awe of some of these teams in front of us in the recruiting rankings. South Carolina, Missouri, Kentucky. How? Is recruiting a weakness in this coaching staff? Why do we appear to be struggling getting top recruits? I would love to look back at this comment and laugh but something seems off with recruiting.

I have had heroin addicts tell me that giving up heroin was much easier than giving up tobacco. Nicotine more addictive than any substance that I know of. Since it’s legal and has widespread use, it’s killed more people than all of the opioids and illicit drugs combined. Just my two cents. Lost more relatives to tobacco than anything else combined. It affects every organ system.
Vaping is trading the carcinogens found in tobacco for God knows what is in the vape cartridges…we will find out in 20-30 years when all the vapers start dying off. Just like we found out about emphysema and the myriad of cancers and heart disease caused by tobacco use.

Since I am just in this for the money, that’s $995.00. 😳 sorry that other poster kinda pissed me off. 😐
Haha. I think he said “some” doctors. My wife recently started selling real estate. I told her lots of real estate people were crooked. She has met some really great realtors…. and some lying, cheating thieves. So don’t take it too personal.

I'm still in awe of some of these teams in front of us in the recruiting rankings. South Carolina, Missouri, Kentucky. How? Is recruiting a weakness in this coaching staff? Why do we appear to be struggling getting top recruits? I would love to look back at this comment and laugh but something seems off with recruiting.
NCAA looking down our back?

Yes. It was the biggest gripe about Heupel when he was hired here. He can develop though, but Bama took our gameplan vs UGA and drug them with 5 stars. Talent always wins out. We’ll be good, just not great. But I’ll take just being good over the last decade any day. Done being greedy lol.

A decade of highly publicized incompetence isn’t erased by one 7 win regular season. People acting like the Power T should equate to an automatic top 10 class are delusional and still believe Fulmer is wearing the headset on Saturday.

Also why anyone pays attention to the rankings before signing day is beyond me. It’s like caring who won the 12th lap of a NASCAR race.

Poor job on closing this class. We’re swinging and missing bigly

Focus more on the transfer portal. That’s where we must make an impact or we’ll be in trouble. Problem is there’s no transfer signing day so you just gotta wait it out.

How much of a difference is there really in our class, USC's, UK's and Mizzou's? They range from 11-18 and 17 total points separate them on 247. I think them out recruiting us is really getting overblown. Nothing they're doing this year compared to us suggests something is going to be different next year. We'll still have about the same amount of talent with a really good offensive scheme that all 3 failed miserably at figuring out this year.

People underestimate just how badly the NCAA cloud has affected our recruiting, and also how far behind Heupel has been relationship wise. I think we will see big recruiting jumps the next few years (already seen it with the top GA tight end for '23).

Nicotine shouldn't even be included in the conversation when talking about addictive properties. Mentally or physically, nicotine would not even rate on a scale when compared to opiates or alcohol. I've never heard of anyone laying in bed in absolute agony and unable to sleep for days at a time from not having their nicotine. Ive also never heard of anyone robbing their friends & family or turning to prostitution to get their next drag off a Camel light.

Nicotine is actually more addictive.
It’s easier to obtain. Much more physically and psychologically addictive. It’s just more socially acceptable.

Not a deadly withdrawal like alcohol. My Dad was an alcoholic, ruined his family relationships. However, his nicotine addiction is what killed him. Lung cancer. I have a significant family history of alcoholism on my father’s side, however I have lost way more family to tobacco related diseases.

From a healthcare burden standpoint, tobacco (nicotine) addiction has killed more people than all the alcohol and illicit substances combined. It’s killed more Americans than the total of every war we have fought in combined. The cost of taking care of the health related disruption caused by tobacco/nicotine/vaping costs billions annually in the USA alone.

Every addictive substance has its own highlights.

Yesterday Swain said that an SEC team “not named Alabama or Georgia” is ranked higher than usual in the recruiting rankings because they are pushing hard on the NIL. I think he was alluding to Missouri but he didn’t go into more detail.

Reactions: VolNash17
Yes, the first few days are rough, but a year later, who has relapsed and who is still on the wagon? They are all tough, but long-term I put nicotine up against anything.

Like I said, most of our recovery patients are still smokers years later. Sad but true.

Also to @Enki_Amenra
Can't debate like it's the same for everyone.
There's different vices and addictions for a reason. Your experiences, my experiences, don't mean anything to others' situations.

Already been open about my past.*For me*
-Quitting drinking was really hard for about 2 weeks.
-Still ZERO cravings for either pain med after years, no matter how long I go without needing them.

-Quitting smoking, the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, BY FAR. Only one that made me think of doing anything to stop the cravings.
No matter how many years pass, still can't be anywhere near someone smoking.
Yet, know people with that list in exact reverse.

It's NOT one size fits all, it's just not.

Say a prayer for our family tonight, my Mother in law found out earlier today she did not have insurance to cover her storm damage. My brother in law and I will be doing the repairs beginning this weekend.

She's had a rough couple of years, her husband passed a year ago and my wifes older sister has been diagnosed with psychosis/schizophrenia. She's beyond stressed but this is where we get to be a blessing. I'll get firewood and she'll get repairs, we just need a slight break in the weather this weekend. That's where your prayers and best wishes come into play!
Prayers for y’all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back