Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you have to recognize that OK and Texas are basically relegating the Big 12 to be a G5 conference.

You can look at Oklahoma being another hurdle to a playoff spot. Or you can view that game as an opportunity to snag Oklahoma's perennial playoff spot.

In other words, the SEC is now almost guaranteed to put two in the playoff. Seems like a better situation than letting OSU, Clemson, and OK cakewalk to the playoff while the SEC tears itself apart to get the final spot.

But the more conference games, the fewer teams will have a chance from 1 league. We went from 5 top 12 teams in 2018 and 4 in 2019 to just 3 during 2020 when we played 10 conference games...in fact we only had FOUR teams receive votes whatsoever. Meanwhile, way more G5 teams were ranked. The evidence seems clear more conference games hurts the SEC in perception.

Pollsters/voters hardly care about SoS/Margins. Exactly why #12 Northwestern was a 9 pt underdog to us in 2015 when we were ranked 24th. Pollsters are idiots.
If SOS didn't matter, I think you would never see two SEC schools get in, and we would have seen a G5 school make the playoff by now.

The pollsters can say whatever they want. They don't get a say in the playoff, and hopefully they won't have a say in the expanded playoff either.

Probably not, but I'm still plenty loud and vocal, lol. I hoot and holler like I was at the game.
Am 100 % with ya on this.
In fact, the year we lost to FLA but E Berry pick-sixed Tebow, I was watching in a bar in Dallas, surrounded by Vol fans, who sat there like bumps on a log, but I tried to show 'em that if we hollered at TV vigorously enough, we could turn this game around.

Reading an insider on another board who says the current thinking is the SEC stays in two big divisions, not pods, with UA/AU moving to East and Mizzou to West with the newcomers. 9 game conference schedule. Play everyone in your division plus one cross-division permanent opponent and the other rotating each year.

If that comes to pass, who would we want as our permanent opponent from the West now that Bama would be in the East? Ole Miss is the only one that has any history behind it for us, from the pre-1992 expansion days. Would they want an annual “Battle of the UT’s?”
I'd rather just rotate than have a permanent cross-division rival if Bama gets moved to the East. Honestly, I'm not against a 10 game conference schedule, rotating 3 teams from the other division. Some will say "that's too tough" but I think it creates better football overall. Maybe start the year with an OOC opponent, and maybe play one for homecoming or something, but the rest would be conference games. And maybe we can finally stop with playing D-2 teams. I've always hated that, even though it's just one a year.

Reactions: Dudley Smith
How about no permanent opponents? If AU and UA come to the East, then that's all the really traditional rivalries already taken care of. I say just do a rotation for parity's sake.

I'd also say keep it at 8 games. As I posted the other day, the more conference games, the worse we will do in the eyes of voters. They focus on W/Ls more than insanely tough SoS. The more SEC games we all play, the worse for us nationally. Of course...$$$ may win out...again.
That was my first thought. But like the idea of FL having LSU every year.

In fact, the year we lost to FLA but E Berry pick-sixed Tebow, I was watching in a bar in Dallas, surrounded by Vol fans, who sat there like bumps on a log, but I tried to show 'em that if we hollered at TV vigorously enough, we could turn this game around.
I'm always convinced the people on TV can hear me but are just choosing not to acknowledge it. :)

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

Somehow missed this one during media days. Minus the terrible audio, it's definitely Heupel's best interview of the week. Threw a little shade at Pruitt and company with the VFL remark in this one.

Unnecessary imo. Every coach is capable of a little smarm and maybe it was a human moment in reaction to departures from Pruitt’s players and recruits. But even if it’s true, the high road is the better path.

Reactions: VolNash17
I’d be down with no permanent cross-division opponents. The way those divisions are set up it does take care of about 95% of the traditional rivalries. LSU-UF is the only one that stands out. I also agree that we’ll see more 3-4 loss teams getting in the playoffs when they go to 12 or possibly 16 teams. This deal is going to start looking a lot more like the NFL setup, which I hate, but seems inevitable.

Reading an insider on another board who says the current thinking is the SEC stays in two big divisions, not pods, with UA/AU moving to East and Mizzou to West with the newcomers. 9 game conference schedule. Play everyone in your division plus one cross-division permanent opponent and the other rotating each year.

If that comes to pass, who would we want as our permanent opponent from the West now that Bama would be in the East? Ole Miss is the only one that has any history behind it for us, from the pre-1992 expansion days. Would they want an annual “Battle of the UT’s?”
I would be all for Bama coming to the East and making UF and UGA play them every year. Then get rid of the permanent crossover game from the West.

How about no permanent opponents? If AU and UA come to the East, then that's all the really traditional rivalries already taken care of. I say just do a rotation for parity's sake.

I'd also say keep it at 8 games. As I posted the other day, the more conference games, the worse we will do in the eyes of voters. They focus on W/Ls more than insanely tough SoS. The more SEC games we all play, the worse for us nationally. Of course...$$$ may win out...again.

I like this idea. No permanent cross division rivalries. That we just get screwed by TN luck when we are scheduled with the West hot team that year.

This is the way... No reason to keep any permanent opponents... Florida will quit the conference before they play bamma and LSU every year.

Probably not, but I'm still plenty loud and vocal, lol. I hoot and holler like I was at the game.
I know...I do too, but you know it will never be the same...it just isn't, like I said...it is an almost spiritual experience when that wave crashes on you and carries you along with 100,000 others...you feel that powerful connection that only comes from that shared euphoria.

Reactions: SmokinBob and UTJoe
I like this idea. No permanent cross division rivalries. That we just get screwed by TN luck when we are scheduled with the West hot team that year.

Unless we get a Miss school or Arkansas...then I retract my previous statement 😁

Now that I think about it, we'll be looked at as the #5 team in the East imo...so maybe we'll get 1 one of the bottom 4 from the new west, which I would totally be down for. Give us Ole Miss, Miss St, Arky, or Mizzou and the rest can bash their heads against the wall.

Reactions: Dudley Smith

Amazing how Butch found some pretty random 3 stars (Palmer, Sutton, Moseley, Gaulden) that succeeded. Iirc Palmer had hardly even played much football and from Canada.

For whatever reason, just couldn't do the same with the top recruits. Coddling em was maybe part of it.

I know...I do too, but you know it will never be the same...it just isn't, like I said...it is an almost spiritual experience when that wave crashes on you and carries you along with 100,000 others...you feel that powerful connection that only comes from that shared euphoria.
It's always the formation and opening of the "T" that takes me to that special place.

Amazing how Butch found some pretty random 3 stars (Palmer, Sutton, Moseley, Gaulden) that succeeded. Iirc Palmer had hardly even played much football and from Canada.

For whatever reason, just couldn't do the same with the top recruits. Coddling em was maybe part of it.

Butch could recruit skill position. His recruiting on the LOS was straight trash though and that is where the game is won.

I was at a neighborhood watch party. Saw that. Then saw what began happening afterwards. Left and hit the golf course. Much more enjoyable.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back