I see a lot of folks complaining...

SprocketRocket

about our new coach, but I for one am very excited about it. There are folks providing reasons why this coach or that coach might have been a better choice, and just as many others giving reasons why those same coaches were totally unacceptable choices. These are the realities as I see them:

First and foremost, Josh Heupel is our head coach. We had a coach to hire, and it felt like another coordinator experiment was not the way to go this time. Heupel has head coaching experience and has been successful. I see nothing to gain with arguing about how or why.

Many (most or maybe all?) of us feel like our offense has been the problem and we need a new offensive direction. He believes in and executes a fast-paced, high powered offense. I believe it is safe to say we will score points in his offense. I see nothing to gain by arguing about the conference or the level of competition.

Could we have done this, or should we have done that really don't make any difference or apply any more. The speculation is over - we have our coach. I may generally be a 'glass-half-full' kind of person, but I am ready to see what Heupel can do with this team and our offense. I believe this team is going to be fun to watch, and will win games. I can't wait for the O&W game!

about our new coach, but I for one am very excited about it. There are folks providing reasons why this coach or that coach might have been a better choice, and just as many others giving reasons why those same coaches were totally unacceptable choices. These are the realities as I see them:

First and foremost, Josh Heupel is our head coach. We had a coach to hire, and it felt like another coordinator experiment was not the way to go this time. Heupel has head coaching experience and has been successful. I see nothing to gain with arguing about how or why.

Many (most or maybe all?) of us feel like our offense has been the problem and we need a new offensive direction. He believes in and executes a fast-paced, high powered offense. I believe it is safe to say we will score points in his offense. I see nothing to gain by arguing about the conference or the level of competition.

Could we have done this, or should we have done that really don't make any difference or apply any more. The speculation is over - we have our coach. I may generally be a 'glass-half-full' kind of person, but I am ready to see what Heupel can do with this team and our offense. I believe this team is going to be fun to watch, and will win games. I can't wait for the O&W game!
I agree with you i think CJH will do good things at UT and will be head football coach for a long time to come.:cool:

OGC.0f74a5fe774b160095e9bcd83a5bb5d2

Reactions: HalfullVol
Many (most or maybe all?) of us feel like our offense has been the problem and we need a new offensive direction.

Some fans, like yourself, are lying to themselves. You don't want defense, you don't want offense....YOU WANT TO WIN!! But since most of you have given up on winning, you make excuses from one coach to the next. This time we want offense. After Heupel flames out and we give up 50 and 60 points to our rivals, the fans will be screaming for defense. Then we'll hire the next bum whose a "defensive guy" and the fans will scream they want offense. Wash, rinse, repeat...

Heupel is a below average recruiter who has never built a program. His offense at Mizzu was 22nd in offensive efficiency. Jim Chaney in 2012 was 22nd in offensive efficiency and we went 4-7 and ran Dooley out of town.

All to say, let's stop lying to ourselves. We want to win, however they have to do it, but to do that you have to demand much more from your Admin and you have to start valuing this program again.

Well stated OP.
I’m excited about Heupel. GBO!! 🍊🍊

There are things to be optimistic about and things to be not so optimistic about. I think the wisest thing for us right now is to "support" him and keep an open mind... without selling out and lowering the bar or making excuses.

The short term "next step" to win my confidence is to hire a quality DC and prove that he can manage the relationship in a productive way.

Some fans, like yourself, are lying to themselves. You don't want defense, you don't want offense....YOU WANT TO WIN!!

I agree with you in that I want to win, although I can only speak for myself. I would disagree with you with regard to lying to myself. I do genuinely believe our offense has been our problem - our QB performance in particular - and I believe that Heupel can fix that. If he can and does, we will be in for some fun times.

I will note that you do help me make my point regarding complaining. It serves no purpose now. We have our coach. Complaining openly or inwardly does nothing to hold anyone accountable for anything except me for my own attitude. I just choose to look at this as an opportunity for change for the better, not as an opportunity lost.

There are things to be optimistic about and things to be not so optimistic about. I think the wisest thing for us right now is to "support" him and keep an open mind... without selling out and lowering the bar or making excuses.

The short term "next step" to win my confidence is to hire a quality DC and prove that he can manage the relationship in a productive way.

Agreed.

I agree with you in that I want to win, although I can only speak for myself. I would disagree with you with regard to lying to myself. I do genuinely believe our offense has been our problem - our QB performance in particular - and I believe that Heupel can fix that. If he can and does, we will be in for some fun times.

I will note that you do help me make my point regarding complaining. It serves no purpose now. We have our coach. Complaining openly or inwardly does nothing to hold anyone accountable for anything except me for my own attitude. I just choose to look at this as an opportunity for change for the better, not as an opportunity lost.

If complaining serves no purpose, Fulmer would still be coach.

Again, the problem isn't the offense or the QB. It wasn't Sunseri and the 3-4. It wasn't Bob Schoop and whatever the complaint was about him. It wasn't Butch trying to run spread with Worley. The problem is we keep hiring Dollar Store coaches.

Guess what we just did? Hire another Dollar Store coach. So, you haven't addressed the larger problem. You're just rearranging chairs on the Voltanic.

Support? Ok. Worship? No way. We have entirely too many coach worshippers on here. It was the same with Dooley, Butch, and Pruitt.

Strange... I've seen no coach-worship on VN. What I do see, and enjoy (well, some not so much) is the passion our fans have for UT football. I do not agree with the opinions of some, but Freak runs a great message board and it does provide the opportunity for the informed, and the not-so-informed to sit down and be a part of the UT story. This is my 12th. year here, and an in-the-stands fan since 1967. I have no more, or less privilege than anyone else to voice my concerns - to like what some of you say, to laugh at some of the ideas, and shake my head in bewilderment at some of what I read here. Isn't this a great distraction from the crap swirling around us every day all the time!

Strange... I've seen no coach-worship on VN. What I do see, and enjoy (well, some not so much) is the passion our fans have for UT football. I do not agree with the opinions of some, but Freak runs a great message board and it does provide the opportunity for the informed, and the not-so-informed to sit down and be a part of the UT story. This is my 12th. year here, and an in-the-stands fan since 1967. I have no more, or less privilege than anyone else to voice my concerns - to like what some of you say, to laugh at some of the ideas, and shake my head in bewilderment at some of what I read here. Isn't this a great distraction from the crap swirling around us every day all the time!
Glad to have another long termer here. I've also been on Volnation since 2008. Been a wild ride. This site has truly been the only consistently enjoyable thing about Tennessee Athletics.

As to the coach worshippers? Come on...you know it's true. The posters who will defend a coach to the death and bash anyone who dares speak against said coach to hell and back...that is until the coach is fired...then they never liked that hire anyway.

Glad to have another long termer here. I've also been on Volnation since 2008. Been a wild ride. This site has truly been the only consistently enjoyable thing about Tennessee Athletics.

As to the coach worshippers? Come on...you know it's true. The posters who will defend a coach to the death and bash anyone who dares speak against said coach to hell and back...that is until the coach is fired...then they never liked that hire anyway.
Those coach worshipper posters are here just like the naysayers are here. The guys who wouldn't be happy no matter who the hire was. Both extremes are here and have been.

Reactions: PowerT83
I've used the 'Ignore' feature more than ever since I turned over my new 'stay positive' leaf for 2021.

Same. OP got on here with a positive outlook, and gets blasted with a preachy response. Dude was just saying we should support our coach. I don’t see the problem with that, or really any alternative to it. If we are gonna be Vol fans, we might as well support our head coach.

Isn’t that our only way to get better as a program? Are we really going to b*tch and moan and complain our way to success? Those coaches who’ve turned us down...you think they’re not aware of how our fanbase can be outspoken (and often irrational)?

The people that threaten to boycott or sell all their memorabilia, it just makes me laugh. What kind of fan is that?

Same. OP got on here with a positive outlook, and gets blasted with a preachy response. Dude was just saying we should support our coach. I don’t see the problem with that, or really any alternative to it. If we are gonna be Vol fans, we might as well support our head coach.

Isn’t that our only way to get better as a program? Are we really going to b*tch and moan and complain our way to success? Those coaches who’ve turned us down...you think they’re not aware of how our fanbase can be outspoken (and often irrational)?

The people that threaten to boycott or sell all their memorabilia, it just makes me laugh. What kind of fan is that?

they have a name

Negavols or Legions of the Miserable

got no time for it - just brings you down

flame away rednecks, lol

Reactions: clarencepeabody
I see a lot of folks complaining...

....so I'm going to complain about it.

VN Store

Back