Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
The absolute biggest thing is for JH is to assemble a good staff. Coaches that can recruit, not the other way around. He’s gonna have to find kids for his system on offense and in the South that shouldn’t be a problem.

Gotta get good position coaches. Especially on the lines. That’s where we need the most help
I really hope we don't lock him into a contract that is gonna kill us down the road if he falls flat on his face and we have to replace him in 3-4 years. I also hope that if he does need to be replaced in 3-4 years, there's still enough excitement and money to resuscitate the program.

yeah...there's no way JH was 'the plan'.....it's the ultimate safe hire for DW....but no way that was choice one, and while it may never really be public just how extensive the search was or to what level any of these conversations got to, i think it's safe to say campbell, fickel, franklin, all said no/not interested....low did say leipold was contacted, no interest....not sure where dykes was? i feel confident that Elliot was probably the one it may have gotten the farthest with, before ultimately deciding to stay put....

Swain just got done with a segment on some plausible reasons why kiffin and chadwell weren't considered, just depends on how much you're willing to buy on that front, but what they were talking about at least made sense, and wasn't out of left field.

in the end, i don't think the result was what anyone was hoping for, but i do think the process of this search was sound.

and JH isn't awful. it is a TBD/wait and see....but i like the response from the players this morning, and i like the idea of a good offense....see how the staff goes, and go from there. i think he can be good....
You're doing Chadwell a big disservice linking his name with a loser like Kiffin

The one that has coached at major universities and the NFL has also been a failure at those major universities and NFL. I don't get the Kiffin hype. I think people just like his persona, there are other good offensive minds in football.
I think Kiffin is overrated too. But to say JH is viewed better than Kiffin is wrong. Could he be? Of course! But not right now. I sure as hell hope he is in three years and we are kicking ass. But if Bama had an opening and it was down to JH and Kiffin, who do you think they would hire?

The perception that it's the fans was created by the media. It's a myth they've crafted over the years that ignores the true problems of UT. If coaches are buying into that myth, I question their intelligence. Any and every coach should know you win the fanbase by winning games. You win on the field and you'll pretty much be beloved by the fans. Lose and you won't. That's true of every fanbase. Sadly, we mostly have our local media to blame for propagating this myth to begin with, to the point it's reached national levels. When Auburn fans expressed they didn't want Steele to replace Gus, did they get a bad rap? Nope, not at all. We're not the only fanbase to express displeasure, but we get **** on for it like no other.
It's all psychological warfare. The haves point out any dysfunction of the have nots to recruits to keep them coming. Winning cures all. Hopefully, we can turn the corner. Heupel won't start 28-8 here but hopefully he can start 22-14. That will go a long way to improving our standing in the conference. The whole toxicity argument would evaporate pretty quickly if we could climb our way back to that point. Then we can hopefully continue to build from there.

I don’t even know what you’re arguing. You’re worried about recruiting because a guy was recruiting basically on par for everyone else does at UCF.

We’ve never had a problem getting good players to come here. Not under some absolute baboons as coaches. No one that comes here will have us consistently top 5 in recruiting. The services don’t allow for it because we won’t get the bump like the other programs.

There’s 10 other things to like about the hire and how our current roster fits it. I’m not wasting my team worrying sick that we will be 14th in recruiting.

It's not just recruiting, Hank. Pruitt goes 6-4 with the same schedule as UCF this year. Its an underwhelming hire. We can agree to disagree on things, its ok. I like what you bring to this board and im not one to make any kind of enemies on here. Im truly hoping that he takes us to the promised land. I think the frustrations of just continuing to wait for several years when its been the same story for the past 12 years. I apologize if it seems I'm coming off as an a$$, just frustrating.

There's positives and negatives to the hire and I think we both could agree on those terms. Let's see what happens and hope it works this time.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Bottom line?

@Atlanta VOL was wrong. @LA Vol was right. Plowman bit off way more than she could chew and she choked. We were better off leaving Pruitt one more year then firing him. That way we didn't self report to the NCAA. Then we probably could have had Freeze, Campbell, Fickell, or Fleck because we wouldn't have these incoming crippling sanctions.

We will be back here in 4 years. Enjoy the shi*show.

don't know if this has been posted, but the last time he was in charge of an SEC offense:

also led the league in points per game. DC hire is critical.

View attachment 345690
JH offenses run a ton of plays, similar to what Ole Miss and Bama did this year. Both of those teams struggled on defense, not saying its not important but I don't put much stock into it

Reactions: Geaux_Vols
Agree he’s not, I mean I’m not overjoyed either but, I’ll welcome an offensive coach over what we’ve had over the last 3 years.
I'm with you. I was just speaking to how I think he will be perceived and why. His record going down each year won't help either no matter the reasons. The perception will not be great.

But make no mistakes I'm behind the team and the coach. There's no benefit to not be. Vocally burning the program will just cripple it worse than it is.

Did some of this last night.
OC: Lebby
OL: Elarbee
TE: Golesh
WR: Tee or Osovet
RB: Graham (if he'll stay. I'm pessimistic here.)

The defense is harder to predict because I think the DC hire will be an outside hire. It sounds like it won't be Steele or Randy Shannon. Maybe Barry Odom?

DB: Willie Martinez
No thanks on Osovet or Martinez.

If offense is the future of college football, then this could be a solid hire. It’s not flashy. It’s not a guarantee of any success. But Heupel knows offense. Let Steele run the defense. Bring in Garner for DL. And this could work. It’s not a coordinator hire. He knows how to get a team pulling in the same direction. We will get to see the best of Bailey and Salter in this offense and that’s exciting! Let’s get ready to put up points!

You all in KV?
Yeah, why not? No point in bitching about others I wanted. This guy took our job when he knew he would be unpopular and we're about to get smacked by the NCAA. He has my respect just for that.

I don't think the recruiting will be good enough to make us elite. But we're going to score points and I think that gets us to 8-9 wins pretty quickly.

We are Nebraska of the SEC. We are mid-tier, history, and in NCAA trouble. We have the resources to compete but that is about all that we have. I don't mind the hire, but I guess it is just a reality check for where we are at as a program
Pruitt and Fulmer cheated and managed to sink this program into the bottom 3rd so yea

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back