Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really depends on what the NCAA has. The scope is not good. The NCAA has limited resources, so a lot of times they just take another look at the findings provided by the school. Since UT has already led parallel investigations, re-investigated by outside counsel, this is the hope. But sometimes, the NCAA opts to punish the wrongdoing instead of rewarding the school for self-reporting-- especially when they find the violations extensive and egregious.
In addition to whatever the NCAA finds, do you think that potiental coaches might be concerned of coming to a school that used recruiting to violations to terminate a coach without buyout? Seems like not great business practice.

Reactions: LA Vol
From the podcast this AM:

"Rob it's gonna be fascinating whenever the document dump happens--and everybody's requested it--of what all exactly is found. And what the Level 1, the Level 2's are, and the alleged infractions that I'm told...I think we're all told...is somewhere in the dozens, maybe approaching 50 is a possibility."

- B Hubbs

Did he really say 50?

giphy.gif

It really depends on what the NCAA has. The scope is not good. The NCAA has limited resources, so a lot of times they just take another look at the findings provided by the school. Since UT has already led parallel investigations, re-investigated by outside counsel, this is the hope. But sometimes, the NCAA opts to punish the wrongdoing instead of rewarding the school for self-reporting-- especially when they find the violations extensive and egregious.
UT should tell the NCAA to kick rocks because of it's inconsistencies

Reactions: orangesoda
Kiffin really does seem like the perfect candidate for our head coaching vacancy.
  • He has proven himself to be capable of program building since he left Alabama.
  • HE WANTS TO BE HERE.
  • He left us in the lurch, and we spiraled after. Some of this is his doing. He can come make it right.
  • It wouldn't/shouldn't matter to him that we will likely have some size of NCAA hammer dropped down on us, even if it's a bowl ban and/or scholarship reduction.
  • His son's middle name is Knox.
  • He brought Chaney here, and would likely continue a relationship with him (preventing further staff turnover).
  • VFLs like Jay Graham, Tee Martin, Kevin Steele, Kevin Simon, etc, will stay and coach for Lane.
  • He coached with Steele at Bama for 2 years (2014/2016).
  • He brought Tee Martin to USC, where they coached together for 2 years (2012/2013).
  • He is a proven recruiter and is RELEVANT, which would be great.
  • He had a successful 2020 at Ole Miss.
  • This time around, he'd be here for the long haul.

The last statement, Why do you think that Kiffin leaving and coming back here after one year suggests he would be here for the long haul? The rest is reasonably acceptable but that last one is exactly opposite of true. If he leaves ole miss after one year he will do it to us if he gets a better offer. That is not “the long haul”.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
No. That would be more catastrophic. What candidates would emerge that isn't there now? We have options. No sense in it given the options we have.

Kiffin staying is understandable
Herman is unemployed
Freeze status won't change now vs next year
Chadwell won't change now to next year
Napier won't be here today or next year. He think too highly of himself.
Gus is unemployed
Fisher is unemployed
BOB would rather be an OC and than head coach? Doubt it.
Marrone is unemployed

The pool is set up nicely for Tennessee to not fk this up.
UT has too many options to f this up and Steele shouldn't even be considered because of his ties to Fulmer

I have a conspiracy theory on how the NCAA punishment on UT vs Pruitt may play out.

We think the NCAA will go easy on us since we fell on our own sword. When's the last time the NCAA did what you thought they would do?

We also know how close Sabin and NCAA chair Mark Emmert are... and Pruitt is Sabin's boy and Sabin wants Pruitt to be his DC again ASAP.

From listening to Plowman's PC, It doesn't sound like the investigation found direct evidence of Pruitt's knowledge of the violations. (we know he knew). Mark Emmert could spin the "no evidence" to no "show cause" for Pruitt while at the same time slam TN with more penalties similar to what USC received (30+ schollys lost over a few years and multiple years of no bowl).

It wouldn't surprise me if this is how it plays out. Sabin gets what he wants especially when the NCAA gets involved.

I think it's pretty obvious we will be put on probation of some sort. We will self impose a bowl ban, which doesn't matter anyway because we don't make important bowl games.

The real issue is scholarship limitations. If that's on the table, and I'm sure it is, any coach who can wait a year will wait on another job.

Reactions: LA Vol
Give it a year and other coaches would be laughing at his offense

Depends. If "his offense" is like Butch's "infallible" system, then maybe. If his offense is simply what he's found to work right now, and he's willing to tune it as required, then probably not.

I'm an old guy, but I still like to do some PvP gaming. Tactics constantly change. The meta weapons constantly change. Good players adapt. I'm sure the same is true with good coaches.

No. That would be more catastrophic. What candidates would emerge that isn't there now? We have options. No sense in it given the options we have.

Kiffin staying is understandable
Herman is unemployed
Freeze status won't change now vs next year
Chadwell won't change now to next year
Napier won't be here today or next year. He think too highly of himself.
Gus is unemployed
Fisher is unemployed
BOB would rather be an OC and than head coach? Doubt it.
Marrone is unemployed

The pool is set up nicely for Tennessee to not fk this up.

I think you just made my point. It seems all our targets will be there next year. Maybe new targets emerge when the NCAA brings down their punishments and they're not as bad as expected. Not to mention it gives you a full year to work on a replacement. I don't hate the idea. I would rather wait and make the right hire than to find ourselves the same spot in 3-4 years.

Reactions: i2amavol
I think you just made my point. It seems all our targets will be there next year. Maybe new targets emerge when the NCAA brings down their punishments and they're not as bad as expected. Not to mention it gives you a full year to work on a replacement. I don't hate the idea. I would rather wait and make the right hire than to find ourselves the same spot in 3-4 years.
It sacrifices the 22 class for no reason though

The last statement, Why do you think that Kiffin leaving and coming back here after one year suggests he would be here for the long haul? The rest is reasonably acceptable but that last one is exactly opposite of true. If he leaves ole miss after one year he will do it to us if he gets a better offer. That is not “the long haul”.

You write up a contract that benefits you and give him a lot of money. Make sure his buyout for leaving is ENORMOUS!!

Also, I feel we should spam the hell outta state run just to hear them squirm. They're talking coaching hires. We all just need to call in a suggest Kiffin to hear Rice and Ainge get all in their feelings..

Why would they be laughing?
Easy to defend. SEC d lines are too big and strong for the splits he uses. Sec linebackers are too fast to give up the edge consistently enough. He doesn't throw deep at all which let's safties come down and keep hard on the run. After a year they'd know how to defend it and spend the week goofing off because they wouldn't have to gameplan for TN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back