Y’all are crazy

I’d take Malzahn if we struck out on Freeze, Fickell, and Campell.
I’m a little confused on the hype for Freeze over Malzahn...... I mean, it’s a fantasy thing, right? Malzahn has proven he can get it done, Freeze on the other hand caught lightning in a bottle (and also dropped games he shouldn’t in the same season) while also brings along some NCAA sanctions to boot. I don’t get it.

I’m a little confused on the hype for Freeze over Malzahn...... I mean, it’s a fantasy thing, right? Malzahn has proven he can get it done, Freeze on the other hand caught lightning in a bottle (and also dropped games he shouldn’t in the same season) while also brings along some NCAA sanctions to boot. I don’t get it.

I question Malzahn’s ability to develop QBs.

I think he’s a pretty good coach but not great.

Somehow he ends up in Knoxville, I won’t be excited but won’t be upset either considering we could do a lot worse.

Really think Hugh freeze is a solid hire? Better yet, when someone like Gus Malzahn (who’s beaten all of our rivals a handful of times) is waiting at home on a phone call, you’d rather go after a dude like Freeze?

ALL ABOARD THE GUS BUS
Whoever we hire, we should do a contract where the first year is low $$$ and years 2-4 escalate. That would give us time to recover from 2020 financially and get the coach paid during his initial tenure. I'm known for negotiating "out of the box" contracts. Maybe it's doable, maybe not, but why not try?

Gus is crazy if he don’t cash all them checks before even thinking about coaching.

Reactions: Sarms58
Really think Hugh freeze is a solid hire? Better yet, when someone like Gus Malzahn (who’s beaten all of our rivals a handful of times) is waiting at home on a phone call, you’d rather go after a dude like Freeze?

ALL ABOARD THE GUS BUS

Malazahn would be the prototypical Tennessee hire.

It’s boring. Middle tier. We’d see a season of maybe 8-4 7-5 and then 6-6 before malzahn got fired.

Hugh Freeze is that type of hire that could become an absolute legend at Tennessee.

It might not work, but the potential for grand slam is there. The guy is beating teams with much better talent.

If we miss on Hugh Freeze, would be the biggest mistake we have made since firing Fulmer.

Whoever we hire, we should do a contract where the first year is low $$$ and years 2-4 escalate. That would give us time to recover from 2020 financially and get the coach paid during his initial tenure. I'm known for negotiating "out of the box" contracts. Maybe it's doable, maybe not, but why not try?
If you think a million or two makes any difference with the 2020 deficit, you're crazy.

The only answer is to open the checkbook and stop with the budget hires.

We need to check your stats

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Freeze lost to Memphis (yes, Memphis) the same year he beat Alabama. You good with that?
It’s better than what we have now. I guess people are just looking for someone who can get us out of the cellar. Unlikely we will find anyone who can turn an sec doormat into a championship contender.

Reactions: Power T-Rev
Gus hasn’t done anything special since nick marshall. He would definitely be better than Pruitt, and would get Tennessee back to relevance. I think freeze has more potential, we just have to make sure he doesn’t do anything stupid that gets us in trouble. We could put clauses in our contract that can help us.

Reactions: Volfanjohnny2005
There also should be weighted toward lower base salary’s and higher incentives. Don’t know if it’s possible but I would try.

Reactions: Alto1
I don't either. He basically had the same results there as Cutcliffe with NCAA/hooker issues

I think Freeze would do well here and wants to be here specifically. But there's basically no way we'll hire him with the NCAA digging around. They'd react like this.
978fe3de-f1da-4c8e-bb6b-e32797ebcbf0_text.gif

So, if we can't have Campbell, I'm all for Malzahn. He's won a lot in this conference, and in the harder division.

ALL ABOARD THE GUS BUS

Gus is def not waiting at home for a phone call right now. Hes got the cheddar to wait a long long time for just the right spot.

ALL ABOARD THE GUS BUS
Malzahn was able to get good players to Auburn but still couldn't avoid being fired. There's pretty much zero chance he would succeed at UT. He's a supposed offensive guru whose O's have avg'd 7th in total O over the last 5 seasons.

The hope with Freeze is his history of doing more with less. He beat Bama two years in a row and only lost to them by 5 in his last season at Ole Miss with a 5-7 team.

VN Store

Back