Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, that's an insane story. I'm glad you're okay.

What caused your stove to explode? Was there a gas leak?

That's what I'm curious about too. Me and my wife have talked about getting a gas stove/oven, but I've heard stories like this and it makes me question it. We've got a gas heat pump and water heater inside anyways so I don't know if it would really be any more dangerous, or an I just getting more paranoid in my old age.

But isn’t this the same for EVERY LEAGUE and sport. Bama wins NCAA every other yr. Patriots are in the super bowl EVERY yr. 😂😂😂. Just say you don’t like the NBA 😂
No, I like the NBA and wish I could like it more. Give me 16 teams and you've got a wonderful recipe for sports entertainment and the competitive balance is dramatically improved.

And as much as I love college football, it's also seriously flawed. Personally, I'm losing interest in the college playoffs with the same few teams involved each year. This year I somewhat tuned out college football once the conference championships were played.

The Pats are the exception and it's attributable to having one of the best coaches, one of the best QBs and one of the best owners all in one place together and for an extended period of time. They've created a culture that is truly unique...I've never seen anything like it and remarkably, the NFL offers the most balanced playing field of all the sports you mentioned.

Last edited:
Chicago Bulls used to be that guy back in the day. San Antonio Spurs too. Both organizations drafted talent that couldn’t translate to a title until Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich started coaching it.
This means we're talking about a sport that doesn't have enough stars to go around and couple that with an even smaller field of excellent coaches, it is impossible for most teams to make a championship a realistic and attainable goal.

This means we're talking about a sport that doesn't have enough stars to go around and couple that with an even smaller field of excellent coaches, it is impossible for most teams to make a championship a realistic and attainable goal.
Hire the right guy and Minnesota departs “most teams” status. Who was clamoring for Steve Kerr the NBA announcer or Gregg Popovich the career assistant or Phil Jackson the career assistant before they became who they are?

I think there is a bell curve distribution of talent in the NBA. If you're lucky enough to have one or two (or five, Golden State) guys in the top 8-10% of players you can compete. If not, it's hard to win.

I don't understand why everyone is nervous about USC. We about to beat them by 15.

USC plays really tough defense...teams who have done that have given us the most trouble to date. I actually think Admiral might set it off tonight.

Need Kyle to stay outta foul trouble. I like our chances since our guards are playing well right now, and if we can force USC into bad shots we can run them out of the gym....slowing us down into a half court game is where they could give us fits with how badly we've been from 3 lately.

I wonder what all is going on at USCw. That is a lot of transfers and jumping ship for a traditional powerhouse. I wonder if a lot are upset at Tee being scapegoat. Otherwise I don't see point of mass exodus. Even if clay were to get fired they probably make a nice hire next time.

I wonder what all is going on at USCw. That is a lot of transfers and jumping ship for a traditional powerhouse. I wonder if a lot are upset at Tee being scapegoat. Otherwise I don't see point of mass exodus. Even if clay were to get fired they probably make a nice hire next time.
Who knows with these things. Nothing about UGA screams “sinking ship” but a lot of players are getting out by transfer or the draft.

Clay Helton= butch jones in an easy conference

Reactions: jbcollins
We have extinguishers placed strategically the house, 5 in total, and have trained our oldest son how to use them in case a fire would happen up stairs where the boys bedrooms are.

Curious how are they stored/mounted? And how old was your son when you trained him on this?

Sooo I have some bad news to share but VN has over the years become my extended family -- y'all are my dysfunctional brethren and sisteren. If anyone doesn't want or need to hear bad news go ahead and skip this post (it won't hurt my feelings).

I haven't really wanted to talk about it but the trauma people at Red Cross said that it was good for me to tell the story... Here goes... Friday evening I decided to cook (something I've done a million times over with no issue) but this time when I lit the burners the gas exploded. It knocked me out of the room and I think it knocked me out for at least a few seconds but when I came to my senses I was on my back and my pants were quite literally on fire. I stripped them off and looked up and noticed that about half the ceiling had been blown off and was now in the floor. What I didn't notice immediately was that a small fire had broken out further behind me and farther behind the initial blast. Once I did notice it we set about a bucket brigade, tried to beat it out, and even dumped cat litter on it but it just got bigger and bigger.

I know they say you can't imagine how quickly fire can spread but until you see it happen you just don't get it. In under a minute, it went from something we thought we'd be able to put out to a situation in which we were about to die if we didn't flee and I almost waited too long. I went back one last time after I knew it was time to abandon ship but when I thought I could still make it out safely. I managed to grab the keys, pants and a cell phone and thought about grabbing more but the smoke was starting to get really bad and even though I hesitated over the decision finally decided it was now or never.

By the time I made it out of our bedroom the fire had spread to the front door and was blocking my way out. (Thank god I'd put on a pair of jeans despite not having any shoes). All I could think of at that point was "I'm not going to effing die like this." I knew the door was straight ahead even though it was getting hard to see and flames were all around me so I decided that my best option was to just run as fast as I possibly could because fire takes a bit to catch and if I went fast enough I could minimize the damage.

Someone had to be looking out for me because it worked. I ran straight through those flames without getting a single burn (not even from the aforementioned smoldering pants). I did get a mean cut on my foot from something but otherwise we both came out relatively unscathed (the OH did suffer a few minor burns from trying to beat the fire out/standing too close while I was running water back and forth). The sad news is that I was unable to get my little tom cat out (the guilt there has been killing me but when I came back from what I turned out to be the last trip there was no way I could've gone back in without dying). There was a partially opened window that I'm hoping he escaped out of (cats are good at survival so there's at least a small chance but we haven't been able to go back and check just yet. He and the family heirlooms/photos and mementos are the most painful things to have lost.

BTW, all y'all need to go out right now and get a fire extinguisher for your home. If we'd have had one we might not have lost everything. The fire wasn't a grease fire but for whatever reason it couldn't be put out despite its initial size. An extinguisher would've done that.

P.S. Can someone catch me up on what I've missed the past few days?
Thankful you all are ok. Seriously hope you find your cat. Prayers for you all.

Reactions: UTProf
Man, so sorry to hear that, and praise God y’all are ok! I couldn’t imagine a total loss like that. I watched my neighbors house burn to the ground several years ago with nothing being saved. They got out with their lives and hats it.

Prayers for you. I think the most devastating thing about something like that would be loss of pictures...and in my case the 20k plus rounds of ammo I have stored away!!

If you have a fund set up, or plan to, please share, I’d love to help in any way!
Losing our family pics would devastate me. I keep all ours on memory cards and externals that are all in a carrying case right beside our bed just because I've heard so many stories. But that wouldn't help with anything if the house caught on fire while we were gone to work.

These stories freak me out. I guess I should back them all up to a cloud service, or keep hatd backups in our storage unit.

Reactions: UTProf
Losing our family pics would devastate me. I keep all ours on memory cards and externals that are all in a carrying case right beside our bed just because I've heard so many stories. But that wouldn't help with anything if the house caught on fire while we were gone to work.

These stories freak me out. I guess I should back them all up to a cloud service, or keep hatd backups in our storage unit.
google cloud dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back