'19 TN RB Eric Gray

Is it me or does it seem like our players have had an inordinate amount of upper body injuries in the last few years? Is this the S&C program pushing the kids too far- it's hard to put it on one coach because we've been thru several... but what's the deal?

S&C bombed under Butch. These injuries have been greatly reduced under Pruitt.
The team currently uses very explosive, technical OLY lifts which while effective, take time to get the technique right and when fatigued, your form is the first thing to degrade, and things can go bad.

Basically, weightlifting is dangerous... but so is being weak

The team currently uses very explosive, technical OLY lifts which while effective, take time to get the technique right and when fatigued, your form is the first thing to degrade, and things can go bad.

Weak and stupid is no way to play football.

Also every lift is not for everybody. I used to lift alot and was doing military press's behind my head, shoulder Dislocated. Had 110 on there my senior year in high school. Was hung up lucky had a spotter to get it off me. Arm was stuck behind me. It fell back in place ,luckily. Went to doc and since I am double jointed I cant do stuff behind back. I keep lifting, just did sitting front military presses and got to 185 for 8 times at strongest. Benched 335 at 190 body weight. So just got to figure out what is best for each individual. Of course I had multiple dislocations since,in the Marines and work and had surgery on one of them. Had drive 30 minutes on the worst one. They pulled like heck to get it back in. Sucked, had to drive up to TN from south Louisiana with a stick shift. But it was left arm so I made it. Did not trust those docs down there. Just a piece of my injury history.

Also every lift is not for everybody. I used to lift alot and was doing military press's behind my head, shoulder Dislocated. Had 110 on there my senior year in high school. Was hung up lucky had a spotter to get it off me. Arm was stuck behind me. It fell back in place ,luckily. Went to doc and since I am double jointed I cant do stuff behind back. I keep lifting, just did sitting front military presses and got to 185 for 8 times at strongest. Benched 335 at 190 body weight. So just got to figure out what is best for each individual. Of course I had multiple dislocations since,in the Marines and work and had surgery on one of them. Had drive 30 minutes on the worst one. They pulled like heck to get it back in. Sucked, had to drive up to TN from south Louisiana with a stick shift. But it was left arm so I made it. Did not trust those docs down there. Just a piece of my injury history.

Behind neck pressing is high risk. Shoulders don’t naturally externally rotate that far for most.

You’re right about some people not being built for certain lifts. Certain things change over time as well. I literally had a tweak in my upper glute squatting today,causing a back spasm, with weight I could handle and really focused on my form. This has been a regular occurrence for a few years and I keep trying to find a way to keep squats because I love them.

Injury - rest - reintroduce movement at much lower weight - add weight for a couple of months - repeat.

I’m beginning to diet next week, so another layoff from the squats. I can’t risk it while cutting fat. At least that’s one good decision I’m making

Behind neck pressing is high risk. Shoulders don’t naturally externally rotate that far for most.

You’re right about some people not being built for certain lifts. Certain things change over time as well. I literally had a tweak in my upper glute squatting today,causing a back spasm, with weight I could handle and really focused on my form. This has been a regular occurrence for a few years and I keep trying to find a way to keep squats because I love them.

Injury - rest - reintroduce movement at much lower weight - add weight for a couple of months - repeat.

I’m beginning to diet next week, so another layoff from the squats. I can’t risk it while cutting fat. At least that’s one good decision I’m making

I did so many heavy squats back in the day, I don't think I have done a squat in 20 years. I get most of my leg work from cardio now.

Form is everything. It took some injuries to figure it out. Pulled tricep and popped something in elbow 2 different times going to heavy on skull crushers.

Luckily my dad was a bodybuilder and powerlifter. Had a helluva trainer in that dude.
Awesome. My dad got me into it also. Used to take me to gym with him when I was 8. Remember my dad put 225 on leg press machine for me. All the older men was standing around hollering. And I got it. One of my best memories. Was always built like a pyramid ,big legs not so big upper till was 18.

Any lift behind the neck is not good.Pushing or pulling movements behind the neck are dangerous for sure.

Reactions: SD189 and T Dog
Form is everything. It took some injuries to figure it out. Pulled tricep and popped something in elbow 2 different times going to heavy on skull crushers.
My SI Joint drives my back crazy with hip extension exercises. Had to retire Romanian Deadlifts... still clinging to squats though. Wanted to hit 405 but that seems like a tough goal now

Reactions: T Dog
My SI Joint drives my back crazy with hip extension exercises. Had to retire Romanian Deadlifts... still clinging to squats though. Wanted to hit 405 but that seems like a tough goal now

Get you a squat suit shipped to Thialand, have someone you love help you squeeze into it and you will get 405. Just make sure you break parallel or it doesn't count.

Back when I was at UT and lifting in the T-Recs I was about 165 lbs and got up to 405 on squat using the Smolov Jr program. It's an amazing but very intense program that yields results when you stick to the programming. These days I'm much older and don't recover as quickly, and I'll work up only to 1-3 reps of 315 lbs once or twice a week.

German Volume Training also is highly effective, but I would not recommend this type of routine unless you've got access to the Alabama Deer Antler Spray or other kinds of enhancements. I tried that back in the day, and I ended up hurting myself due to all the volume, and my connective tissue just couldn't take it.

Get you a squat suit shipped to Thialand, have someone you love help you squeeze into it and you will get 405. Just make sure you break parallel or it doesn't count.
Those suits are cheating. Someone beat me in a bench press competition long time ago using one. Disliked them ever since.

Hubbs had the luck to get into the business at the right time, for which you have to give him credit for taking the right kind of gamble.

Reactions: GoVolsDR

Always below parallel 😎

However, my next adjustment is to cut depth a little. I don’t compete, so it’s honestly just ego if I’m continually injured by going too deep. I avoid spinal flexion at the bottom but it is still problematic.

Next time, i’ll keep about 2-3 inches above parallel, but won’t claim personal records from that depth... as if anyone gives a crap what I squat, lol

Reactions: T Dog
Dudes in this thread

tenor.gif

Always below parallel 😎

However, my next adjustment is to cut depth a little. I don’t compete, so it’s honestly just ego if I’m continually injured by going too deep. I avoid spinal flexion at the bottom but it is still problematic.

Next time, i’ll keep about 2-3 inches above parallel, but won’t claim personal records from that depth... as if anyone gives a crap what I squat, lol
I like to cycle out of heavy squats and deadlifts periodically. If the glute issue is from an imbalance you could swap out the squats for something unilateral like split squats then try squatting after a month or two and see how it feels.

VN Store

Back