Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's just like Dobbs was. Dobbs had authority to audible and lacked confidence to do it. Kerbyson told the world that on Sport Source one Sunday. Dobbs didn't have a real QB coach in his ear and a developed ability to make pre-snap reads. He now has that and proved to the Steelers he could get it done. JG didn't have it early in his development either like he does now. As he gains confidence and understanding of the O concepts he may get much better and assertive at it. They need him to because the checks now are simplistic and always to a run play as InVOL posted.

Being able to recognize defenses and making the correct adjustments requires lots of time watching and analyzing film. It requires a good QB coach (and head coach, defensive coaches, etc...) to teach QB's how to do that, and what adjustments to make. Dobbs never had that, and it showed when defenses shut him down, but he was very good an improvising. My hope is JG, Shrout and future QB's will be trained correctly with the new staff.

It's not coaching scared. Playing guys who're still recuperating could worsen their injuries and prolong their recovery, making them unavailable for another week or more. Pruitt chose not to play Abernathy and TKJr at Auburn, but both could have played. So I think he takes a longer view when he thinks he can.

Again it's the difference between being injured or being hurt. Regarding Abernathy.... CJP had said that Osborne seemed to decide over the bye week that he wanted to carve a role for himself on this team. Which I interpret to he finally started to give effort. Could've been a case of he simply had a better week of practice and as such Abernathy was expendable. TKJr hasn't played all year so that wasn't surprising.

I'm just saying, if these guys who have been knicked up some can play, then I think they will. I don't think there's going to be holding anything back. I see your point, but IMO that's coaching scared.

Pruitt said from the beginning that JJ can play all 4 positions, so I think you're spot-on that they're hoping to move him around to capitalize on his physicality and versatility. I think they envisioned him more at ILB, but the lack of depth at OLB makes that a more pressing need. We could use him this year if he could get up to game speed.
People don’t like to hear it but after he missed all of camp it never made sense for him to play anything more than 4 games. They might do it as a necessity but it would be wasteful to not use the new redshirt rule for him.

Again it's the difference between being injured or being hurt. Regarding Abernathy.... CJP had said that Osborne seemed to decide over the bye week that he wanted to carve a role for himself on this team. Which I interpret to he finally started to give effort. Could've been a case of he simply had a better week of practice and as such Abernathy was expendable. TKJr hasn't played all year so that wasn't surprising.

I'm just saying, if these guys who have been knicked up some can play, then I think they will. I don't think there's going to be holding anything back. I see your point, but IMO that's coaching scared.

I wonder if it's simply a trust issue with some of the players?

I can a) work my butt off in practice and trust that the coaches will give me some significant pt;
or b) eff it, why bother? They're not gonna play me anyway. And of course, they don't.

Good thoughts on Tuttle. Glad for him and Bain. Our DL is deeper than it has been in a long time. Probably not saying much but we don’t have any undersized DTs playing significant snaps like we did all throughout the Dooley and Butch years. Not sure how we got so fortunate in year 1 of Pruitt.
It’s not so much that we got fortunate, we just have better, smarter coaches. Bain and Johnson should have been playing a lot last year.

Reactions: Brillovol
I agree on the surface but I hope the staff at least has part of their attention on next week.
So, you hope that our staff doesn't focus too much on Bama because, what, it's a completely unwinnable game?

Great mindset. Let's teach our players, who just pulled a huge upset over a ranked opponent, on the road, to an SEC West school, that this game doesn't deserve their full attention because they have no chance.

I don't effing care if we're playing the '85 Bears defense and the 2000 Rams offense, I want a staff that prepares to win each and every week.

SMH. Loser mentality.

They are like Achilles, impregnable except for one little spot. Of course I don't know what that spot is.

People don’t like to hear it but after he missed all of camp it never made sense for him to play anything more than 4 games. They might do it as a necessity but it would be wasteful to not use the new redshirt rule for him.

It might work out to four games... but the odds of keeping a guy like Peterson in school long enough for a RS to matter are very small. The Thornton Center is going to have a tougher job than Fitz. If he's ready to play against SCAR, give him the reps and see if he can help us down the stretch.

Are you describing women or something else?

Oh I know that spot, sir.

tenor.gif

So, you hope that our staff doesn't focus too much on Bama because, what, it's a completely unwinnable game?

Great mindset. Let's teach our players, who just pulled a huge upset over a ranked opponent, on the road, to an SEC West school, that this game doesn't deserve their full attention because they have no chance.

I don't effing care if we're playing the '85 Bears defense and the 2000 Rams offense, I want a staff that prepares to win each and every week.

SMH. Loser mentality.

Let me make this clear. I am not suggesting to let the team know we are looking ahead. I am suggesting we are cautious with injured guys playing and we even slant some of our play calling to give USCe more to prepare for or decoy them. We damn sure shouldn't run any plays we have in our pockets that might help at South Carolina.

Let me make this clear. I am not suggesting to let the team know we are looking ahead. I am suggesting we are cautious with injured guys playing and we even slant some of our play calling to give USCe more to prepare for or decoy them. We damn sure shouldn't run any plays we have in our pockets that might help at South Carolina.

You are WAY overthinking it.

THIS....

Folks have got to quit thinking that just because we are clearly improving every week and played an exceptional game last week, that all of a sudden this will be a close or tight game this weekend... Just get through this without any injuries and try to run the table the remainder of the season. Four and Five star WR's will be lining up across our true freshman and a very thin D overall for four quarters... They will hang 40-50 on us, depending on Saban's mood with Pruitt, but we need to just stay focused on the big picture and learn from this. LA Vol is spot on-- after this weekend if we are still healthy, all the other teams on our schedule should be dogfights...
Yeah I think anyone who thinks we're about to go in there and compete with the tide for more than five minutes is fooling themselves. We're probably looking at a 45-14 type game, when it could be 72-14. They'll call off the dogs pretty early.

Not really.
How many times are we talking about saving stuff for the florida game in the first few cupcake games?

All I am saying is we need to do the same thing here.

And it always just stupid talk we wind up getting clobbered anyway. Just play every game to win and don't look past it.

The game is at Neyland, team gained some confidence vs. Auburn, Pruitt knows them well and Bama is playing their 8th game in a row.

UT 42-10.

Well done. I think our chances improved greatly in this game after last week. Yet I am at 0 % so that should tell you my thoughts before lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back