Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
IDK. They way Pruitt has been talking this week it seems JG has the freedom to change the plays if needed. It seems JG needs more trust in his own decision making than with the coaches calling plays.

He's just like Dobbs was. Dobbs had authority to audible and lacked confidence to do it. Kerbyson told the world that on Sport Source one Sunday. Dobbs didn't have a real QB coach in his ear and a developed ability to make pre-snap reads. He now has that and proved to the Steelers he could get it done. JG didn't have it early in his development either like he does now. As he gains confidence and understanding of the O concepts he may get much better and assertive at it. They need him to because the checks now are simplistic and always to a run play as InVOL posted.

Good thoughts on Tuttle. Glad for him and Bain. Our DL is deeper than it has been in a long time. Probably not saying much but we don’t have any undersized DTs playing significant snaps like we did all throughout the Dooley and Butch years. Not sure how we got so fortunate in year 1 of Pruitt.

Wish we had Khalil McKenzie... he would be a huge help this year.
meh. i wasn't excited when he left early either. and i did think he was one guy that could benefit from this staff.

but then he goes and switches to OL in the NFL, and never would consider doing it here, so i dunno how much help he would have actually been.

in the end, the guys that didn't want to be here, got to leave.

probably best case for all involved.

I don't Understand why we don't at least attempt a QB sneak when it's less than a yard. I know JG isn't the biggest QB but good grief QB sneaks are rarely stopped

We don't get push so that wouldn't work. Better off rolling out or outside run or bubble screen unless we are willing to let the hammer run the ball.

I don't think they hold anyone out. I don't think anything has suggested Pruitt coaches scared. Think he has an all hands on deck mentality.... are you injured, or are you hurt? If they tell the staff they can play, I think they play.

He's aware of how important this game, this rivalry is. On top of that, we need to keep the momentum going after last weeks win. Which isn't to say we have a real shot of winning this year, but losing in embarrassing fashion as compared to a competitive hard fought tame speaks to recruits.

It's not coaching scared. Playing guys who're still recuperating could worsen their injuries and prolong their recovery, making them unavailable for another week or more. Pruitt chose not to play Abernathy and TKJr at Auburn, but both could have played. So I think he takes a longer view when he thinks he can.

Yeah, I'm thinking they might hold the injured guys out, even though they've been easing them back into practice. Sounds like they might hold off on playing Peterson, too, even though they've moved him outside to see if he can help cover Kongbo's spot.

I would, or at least limit their snaps. They need them to finish the season on an upswing with some W's. Those extra bowl practices would be huge for a young team in a new system like this one.

Reactions: LA Vol
We don't get push so that wouldn't work. Better off rolling out or outside run or bubble screen unless we are willing to let the hammer run the ball.

All you have to do is fall forward. Obviously what we are doing isn't working I want to see him just fall forward for a half yard.

Good thoughts on Tuttle. Glad for him and Bain. Our DL is deeper than it has been in a long time. Probably not saying much but we don’t have any undersized DTs playing significant snaps like we did all throughout the Dooley and Butch years. Not sure how we got so fortunate in year 1 of Pruitt.
switching to the 34 actually helped a lot in that category. gave them some flexibility with some of the "tweeners" we had at DE/OLB, and really kind of defined who would be inside at DT. so instead of having Johnson and Tuttle out there at hte same time all the time in the 43 with 2 DT's, you can rotate those two, keep them fresher, and accomplish the same things regardless of who's in there.

and it got some of those undersized DT's we had/have, out of the middle, and in a more natural position.

Yeah, I'm thinking they might hold the injured guys out, even though they've been easing them back into practice. Sounds like they might hold off on playing Peterson, too, even though they've moved him outside to see if he can help cover Kongbo's spot.

Peterson really needs to learn both the ILB/OLB positions anyways. The hope is in the future he will be a guy that plays in the Middle on running downs and moves outside to rush the passer in the sub packages.

It's not coaching scared. Playing guys who're still recuperating could worsen their injuries and prolong their recovery, making them unavailable for another week or more. Pruitt chose not to play Abernathy and TKJr at Auburn, but both could have played. So I think he takes a longer view when he thinks he can.
it's definitley a fair point.

Reactions: LA Vol
Peterson really needs to learn both the ILB/OLB positions anyways. The hope is in the future he will be a guy that plays in the Middle on running downs and moves outside to rush the passer in the sub packages.

Pruitt said from the beginning that JJ can play all 4 positions, so I think you're spot-on that they're hoping to move him around to capitalize on his physicality and versatility. I think they envisioned him more at ILB, but the lack of depth at OLB makes that a more pressing need. We could use him this year if he could get up to game speed.

Reactions: Billy Antrim
All you have to do is fall forward. Obviously what we are doing isn't working I want to see him just fall forward for a half yard.

Hard to fall forward with the push they tend to get on our center. If your going to sneak it I'd movement trey inside and do it behind him for a play

Yep. Bama will be a reality check. After playing the #1 team in the country, SCAR, UK, Mizzou and Vandy won't seem all that daunting. Get out of TSIO with no injuries, and they can hang with any team on the schedule.

THIS....

Folks have got to quit thinking that just because we are clearly improving every week and played an exceptional game last week, that all of a sudden this will be a close or tight game this weekend... Just get through this without any injuries and try to run the table the remainder of the season. Four and Five star WR's will be lining up across our true freshman and a very thin D overall for four quarters... They will hang 40-50 on us, depending on Saban's mood with Pruitt, but we need to just stay focused on the big picture and learn from this. LA Vol is spot on-- after this weekend if we are still healthy, all the other teams on our schedule should be dogfights...

Reactions: Chief Vol 13
Yep, it's good stuff! That bottle is the Four Grain. I haven't opened it, not sure I will? It was a one and done deal, won't be avail again.
I have a lot of hard to get stuff, Elmer T Lee, all the EH Taylor's, William Larue, Pappy's, George T Stagg, and so on. My go to tho is Buffalo Trace, Bulleit, or Jameson. I just feel guilty guzzling the good ****!!
I do not have the problem with guilt, so if you ever need help I’ll send you my address, hahaha. Have you tried Uncle Nearest (out of Nashville) and Bib & Charter (no idea)?

Hard to fall forward with the push they tend to get on our center. If your going to sneak it I'd movement trey inside and do it behind him for a play

i like the idea of smith for one play.

I actually played hs QB and was a weak player so I know a little bit about a QB sneak.
To me there are two diffemt sneaks.
One when you a full yard where you need to follow that push of the center and/or gaurd. That kind of QB sneak I agree with you is tough without any push

The other QB sneak can be done by quickly falling Forward under such DL push. That kind is almost impossible to defend when only inches-1/2 yard is needed. That's the one I want us to use with it's really short

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back