Recruiting Forum Football Talk [RIP 9.3.2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
And once again, do you think Fulmer loves his new job so much that he blabs anything and everything to his donor buddy? I think Fulmer is doing great and part of that would include knowing an AD’s role. He isn’t an AAU blowhard doing an off Broadway interpretation of Lavar Ball. I don’t think Pruitt’s told Fulmer who’s starting...if Pruitt knows he.

“Blabs” is overly dramatic but, yes, I do have reason to believe Coach Fulmer is talking to people he trusts about this football team.

Not a big deal. Just didn't want to see a hate train get started. Larry just always seemed like a good dude who has his own opinion and happens to know a few people.

Probably premature on my part. :)
I always thought he came across as a straight up hateful curmudgeon but that’s just me 😂

With as silent as Pruitt is, I'm sure Fulmer isn't going to go behind his back and share all these details that are top secret to a booster that is known in the boards. Everyone knows Larry shares here, so why would Phil spill the beans to him.

Maybe he did. I doubt it, but it's possible.

But I don't think it's wrong for the majority of people to discount him and his persistently negative outlooks on the program that we are all hopeful fanatics of.

We hope to have some additional nuggets to pass along later tonight or tomorrow am (with a podcast coming, too) but word from multiple folks is Ty Chandler looked really good yesterday.

The sophomore hasn’t been talked about much in camp thus far, but I continue to believe he’s the best pure playmaker on the team. His role may change a bit this year, but he’s going to be a weapon
-Simonton

At the very least, a good idea to get public sympathy. A lot of people wanted to prosecute though I think that was too harsh.

There is a sign posted to stay out of the cave from July - October but they went in around June 27th. Not the best idea, but not reckless, and like I said, they had all been in there many times before

IIRC, wasn’t the coach already a monk but gave it up a few years before the incident? I think I read he became one because he lost his parents and the monestary basically opened up their arms and took him in. He actually had the boys doing heavy meditation in the caves to keep them calm and conserve energy and strength.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Really looking forward to smashing WVU in the mouth and winning in convincing fashion. Predictions around here will quickly go from 5-7 to 8-4.

f8965ce51b3e03d65187552525c1fa92.gif

I don’t know. Coaches script a fake 5-10 minutes? That seems like wasted energy.

I doubt it’s that elaborate, but coaches definitely meticulously script their practices. It doesn’t seem that crazy to think they let the media in during a 5-10 minute window where they know they won’t see much they can report that the coaches don’t want reported.

Reactions: LaagerVol
The Vols must replace four veterans from a group that finished the 2017 season with the nation’s third-best pass defense (161 yards per game), but for a unit that was camouflaged by an awful run defense, Pruitt isn’t looking for paper champions against Will Grier & Co.

“We want to find the guys that know how we want them to play, that can get lined up, can make their calls, understand formations, play the ball, are good tacklers,” Pruitt said.

“There's lot of competition out there. Everyday somebody else shows up, somebody else don't hardly perform like they need to, and we've got to find guys that are consistent back there."
Thus far, junior Baylen Buchanan and freshman Alontae Taylor have emerged as Tennessee’s likely starters at cornerback. This summer, Buchanan has rebounded from a tough sophomore season, while Taylor has surged to the top of the depth chart despite just learning the position. During camp, both players have displayed a propensity to force turnovers — a prerequisite for playing time under Pruitt — and have adjusted well to Tennessee’s new aggressive press-man, pattern matching scheme.

“We’re an in-your-face style of defense. I feel like it makes me a better corner,” Buchanan said.

“More physical. For any corner that’s out there, you’re going to have to know how to play press-man. That just comes with the position. The coaches are going to run those blitzes, so the corners are going to have to do their job.”

Meanwhile, Nigel Warrior and Micah Abernathy are entrenched as the team’s two starters at safety. Todd Kelly Jr. is on the outside looking in, while freshman Trevon Flowers and sophomore Shawn Shamburger are pushing for playing time. After a tough spring, Shamburger has come on in camp and locked down Tennessee’s nickel/STAR spot. He’s receiving a real look at safety too, though, due to his “instincts” and “ability to play the ball.”.

“I’m sure (Shamburger) would like to just play one (spot), but he needs to learn to play multiple positions,” Pruitt said.

“The last couple of days, we’ve worked him at safety only, just to give him a few more reps there.”

While newcomers Trevon Flowers, Bryce Thompson and Kenneth George have seen significant snaps during camp and should be contributors this fall, it’s unclear if Pruitt is ready to throw them into the fire against WVU’s pass-happy scheme.

“It is going to play out how it is supposed to,” Buchanan said.

“The coaches are going to make the right decisions on who plays and doesn’t play. Our secondary is very talented. A lot of guys can play different positions. They’re going to utilize us as best as they can.”

Earlier this week, Tennessee’s first-year head coach made it known there won’t be a massive rotation in the defensive backfield. Pruitt is going to rely on who he trusts in the secondary … and then stick with them.

"The secondary's one of those positions that if you've got guys that can play you probably ain't wanting to take them out of the game,” Pruitt said, “because it don't take for them to mess up but one time and the other team scores points.”
--Simonton

I would hope so. I don’t feel great about plan A or B. But i damn sure don’t want C or D out there

Do you feel the coaches are in a position where they have to name the starter this week? Give him and the 1st team time to settle in, take the reigns, and then tweak things over the next two weeks.

LWS has great sources and for some reason this board is totally disregarding everything he says just as it did last year when he said Butch was in over his head and that we’d have our worst team of all time.

I don’t necessarily agree with his pessimism this year but watching this cycle repeat itself is comical.
Right. They're hurling insults simply because they don't like what he's saying. I don't agree with his pessimism in this instance, but most of the time he's right on. We're looking at 6 or 7 wins this year. Winning one of Florida and West Virginia will almost be a must if we're gonna go to a bowl game.

Yes, I would agree. There’s no guarantee he’s the guy. We literally do not know.

But if you’re asking me what the floor is, I believe it to be 4 wins. I believe the ceiling to be 7 wins.

Ultimately I believe we’ll be closer to the ceiling than the floor - 6 wins.
I'll say this, if Pruitt ends up not being the guy, we'l never be back to the level we were from 89-01 consistently. We will be and will be seen as a second tier program. This will be the last chance IMO.

Reactions: reVOLution33
After the 3 OOC cupcakes I just don't know at this point. Mizzou, UK, and Vandy all went through our defense last season like it was warm butter. I do think some of that was because our offense was basically 3 and out, plus we had no developed depth in D, which wore down the D the last half of the season. Although we moved the ball well against UK but still couldn't stop their running game.

I don't think we beat WV. If it was later in the season, maybe. But they have a talented, experienced offense, with a veteran, Heisman hopeful at QB. We don't know who our QB is yet from a group that has not shown us much previously. Our best hope to be in that game in the 4th is that we can establish a running game that will keep Grief on the sidelunes, which is something that WV will be we l aware of, and will stack the box and make our QB(s) prove himself/themselves.

UF is winnable, but will not be easy. If Mullen can get a QB to show improvement, which was why he was hired, the gators could be a much better program by the 4th game of the season. As bad As the gators were last season, I don't think their issue were near as bad as ours. Their issues were mainly around the QB and offensive scheming. We had problems at literally every position in both sides of the ball. And we lost probably our best weapon in Trevor Daniels.

SC will be very tough to beat in Columbia. A veteran AN with Servo back, plus a healthy Dowdle back at RB. And their D has been rebuilt quicker than I expected, which is a credit Muscham p. We can beat SC and UF, but we will have to win field position and TOs .

We aren't beating UGA, Bama, or Auburn.

I want to see how we play against WV and IF before assuming we can beat Mizzou, UK, and Vandy, much less UF or SC.

Bit right now I think probably 5-7/6-6.
Florida’s issues are far more severe than just quarterback play.

Reactions: JacketVol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back