Tennessee UConn Rivalry Renewed (UPDATED)

Strictly from a roster standpoint, the two teams will be pretty even in terms if personnel when 2020 gets here. Dangerfield will likely be the best player on the floor in the first game. Other than ONO, Tennessee will have a definite advantage in terms of height and inside presence.

Tennessee (current projected roster)
Kamera Harris - Senior
Rennia Davis - Junior
Anastasia Hayes - Junior
Kasi Kushkituah - Junior
Evina Westbrook - Junior
Rae Burrell - Sophomore
Mimi Collins - Sophomore
Zay Green - Sophomore
Jazmine Massengill - Sophomore
Tamari Key - Freshman
Emily Saunders - Freshman

UConn (current projected roster)
Molly Bent - Senior
Crystal Dangerfield - Senior
Kyla Irwin - Senior
Batouly Camara - Senior
Mikayla Coombs - Junior
Megan Walker - Junior
Lexi Gordon - Junior
Christyn Williams - Sophomore
Olivia Nelson Ododa - Sophomore
You conveniently forgot two Necessary People...Geno and Holly!

Hey I've been reading these posts and would like to make a few comments. My name on this site is NeedOrange. I choose that because as a life long UConn supporter, I recognize that WBB needs a strong Tennessee. I really want Tennessee to be great again. I want to say to all those who talk about getting creamed by UConn. I don't think you are worthy to support the University of Tennessee Lady Vol's. If you said those word to Pat Summit, though she is too much a lady to give you the smacking you deserve, you would get the cold stare so hard you would feel like you were shot. I sincerely hope UConn and UT always play as NO.s 1 and 2 and that UConn doesn't always win. Because that's what made the series great. My apologies to most of you I have offended.

You sure didn't offend me. Best post of the day in my humble opinion. Go Vols! Beat gee no.

Holly in the beginning begged Geno but he said no, now he sees it as an advantage on his side because Uconn never gets high crowd or sell big tickets.

That's a damn lie. This series was going to be resumed a few years ago, so close that contracts had already been submitted to both schools. Geno at the last minute wanted an apology for Maya, and Holly flat out told him no. More than once. Holly has stood her ground, and backed up Pat, many more times than people will ever know.

I can answer this one. On February 26, 2017, Tennessee beat #3 ranked Mississippi State in Starkville 82-64. Mississippi State beat UConn in the Final Four that season and then lost to South Carolina in the National Championship Game. Jaime Nared had 30 points and 9 rebounds in that blowout road win over Mississippi State.

But they also lost to #17 Texas A&M, #5 ND, #3 Miss St (by 20 points), #17 Mizzouri, #8 SC, #6 ORST. Over the last 3 years they are 19-16 against ranked teams. I am as much of a fan of the lady vols as anyone but I also am able to see without orange shades on. They are no where near the caliber of UCONN right now. they have just as good of players, but what happens during practice, and development of those players is where they fall short.

They beat ND, SC and Miss St a few seasons ago...

The difference is that they had 2 players that, at their best, were huge difference makers (Mercedes and Diamond), plus a third wheel (Nared) who was close behind. They won't have that this year, and really need to recruit that player who can take over the game against the best teams, not just Arkansas and Vandy.

19-16 against ranked teams over the last 3 years. I would say those 2 players and the third who was close were average "stars" at best. Looks like they were not able to take over very many important games at all.

Hey I've been reading these posts and would like to make a few comments. My name on this site is NeedOrange. I choose that because as a life long UConn supporter, I recognize that WBB needs a strong Tennessee. I really want Tennessee to be great again. I want to say to all those who talk about getting creamed by UConn. I don't think you are worthy to support the University of Tennessee Lady Vol's. If you said those word to Pat Summit, though she is too much a lady to give you the smacking you deserve, you would get the cold stare so hard you would feel like you were shot. I sincerely hope UConn and UT always play as NO.s 1 and 2 and that UConn doesn't always win. Because that's what made the series great. My apologies to most of you I have offended.

Do you actually believe that these lady vols are worthy of being mentioned in the same breathe of most of Pat's teams? When you dont like something you immediately start saying people are not true fans. Start the insults because people disagree with you. How about this, we are better because we expect the same results as Pat's teams but are realistic when it comes to the current state of the program. How is the lady vols program not a mirror image of the football program? 19-16 over the last 3 years to ranked teams.......think Pat ever did that bad to ranked teams? When was the last time they made the final 4? Have you been happy with the results? Take off the orange shaded glasses and look at the team realistically, UCONN beats UT by 30 right now. Until the coaching and toughness changes, these are the results you are going to get.

Do you actually believe that these lady vols are worthy of being mentioned in the same breathe of most of Pat's teams? When you dont like something you immediately start saying people are not true fans. Start the insults because people disagree with you. How about this, we are better because we expect the same results as Pat's teams but are realistic when it comes to the current state of the program. How is the lady vols program not a mirror image of the football program? 19-16 over the last 3 years to ranked teams.......think Pat ever did that bad to ranked teams? When was the last time they made the final 4? Have you been happy with the results? Take off the orange shaded glasses and look at the team realistically, UCONN beats UT by 30 right now. Until the coaching and toughness changes, these are the results you are going to get.

Me thinks your parrot has crapped one time to many in your Cheerios. Most of your posts are negative. Why allow yourself to feel that way?

Your preaching to the choir. Being where you are everyone here feels the same way. They want UT to be elite again in WCB. The facts are they are not, and that doesn't appear to be changing under the current direction. Holly has had plenty of time to settle in and to prove what she is as a coach. And while using Pat as the stick is unfair, the question would be is UT as good as they should be with the foundation Pat built. My short answer is no.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Your preaching to the choir. Being where you are everyone here feels the same way. They want UT to be elite again in WCB. The facts are they are not, and that doesn't appear to be changing under the current direction. Holly has had plenty of time to settle in and to prove what she is as a coach. And while using Pat as the stick is unfair, the question would be is UT as good as they should be with the foundation Pat built. My short answer is no.
She's proven exactly who she is as a coach. A good, not great one.

Lots of online chatter, including from Holly Rowe, saying that HUGE news will be coming out today, and that this hasn't happened in a long time.

Tennessee UConn series back on this year and next.

Updated: UConn will host Tennessee in January 2020, and then in Knoxville in 2021. Proceeds will benefit the Basketball HOF and Pat Summitt Foundation.

Easy win for UConn

Pat is not the kind that holds anger on anyone. If she was here, she still would've forgiven and renew it, but my point is with Holly it will be a disaster & disgrace. Holly may have beaten top teams but always loose to worst teams.
Pat would NEVER have played Geno again. NEVER. Ask anyone that knew her.

Would it not be the worst if Geno broke Pat's record for all time wins with a win at Thompson Boling Arena?

Reactions: OrangenSC
Would it not be the worst if Geno broke Pat's record for all time wins with a win at Thompson Boling Arena?

Coach K already broke that record last season, and Tara will likely break it before Geno does, depending on how long she coaches.

Did you read the post? That wasn't preaching to the choir. It was insulting the peanut gallery... and deservedly so. The primary reason given by the majority of the posters here, for not playing UConn, is a fear of losing badly. That is cowardice.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Did you read the post? That wasn't preaching to the choir. It was insulting the peanut gallery... and deservedly so. The primary reason given by the majority of the posters here, for not playing UConn, is a fear of losing badly. That is cowardice.
Sure I did. Where did I mention UT not needing to schedule that game because they would lose? Having addressed that, UT will not compete with UConn in any future game unless they make some major strides or Geno retires. (See Saban/Bama and UT in football)

He/she spoke of wanting it to be a rivalry again when he said "I recognize that WBB needs a strong Tennessee. I really want Tennessee to be great again."

UT is currently neither and anyone that has kept up with the LVs knows as much. (they preachin to the choir) UConn is several steps ahead of UT right now (which is no longer the premier team in its own conference). Nothing cowardice about stating the facts.

Sure I did. Where did I mention UT not needing to schedule that game because they would lose? Having addressed that, UT will not compete with UConn in any future game unless they make some major strides or Geno retires. (See Saban/Bama and UT in football)

He/she spoke of wanting it to be a rivalry again when he said "I recognize that WBB needs a strong Tennessee. I really want Tennessee to be great again."

UT is currently neither and anyone that has kept up with the LVs knows as much. (they preachin to the choir) UConn is several steps ahead of UT right now (which is no longer the premier team in its own conference). Nothing cowardice about stating the facts.

That is your viewpoint....Mine is, if CHW is going to succeed, it has to be with this type of lineup. I have seen what was done and not done with a 6'6" player. There is no post like Russell in this bunch. Mostly tall scoring guards and forwards. This set screams for a hi-post offense, running four out and feeding the Point-Forward to distribute. With the closest four crashing the boards and full court terrorizing defense.

The only thing the Connies have that we don't is Geno.

And
I'm ok with that.!

Reactions: v0ltan

VN Store

Back