Recruiting Forum Football Talk LX

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s nothing personal. When i see JG i see a guy who benefited off of playing weak competition in New Jersey which is why on tape he looked like a track star but at this level he is an average runner.

I think he has a good arm, not great but i also think he’s a short arm thrower where he flicks the ball instead of driving it which leads to the ball sailing a lot. I also think he struggles with anticipation and touch.

I know he’s young and can definitely improve but I’m just not high on him. I never have been. Quite honestly i think Us as fans just want him to be good so badly. People thought he was cool, big time recruit, had great tape but he just hasn’t shown that it was warranted. Of course things can change and i hope he does get better.

Good answers..I can respect that. I just think KC has never shown anything more than pure mediocrity at best, and for him to be annointed starter before practice even starts is ridiculous. I mean if he really is going around telling people he is the starter, has he really been told that?

The dude had a infinitely easier path to success at Stanford...and still washed out. That doesn't tell me he is worthy of being given the spot. If he earns it during fall practice then that is fine, but how can anybody make a honest and fair assessment on it at this point?

Word is the new offense will be similar to what Coach Friend ran out at CSU. Here's a post from someone on VQ...

This also makes sense as to why they want Tagovailoa so badly. He's perfect for that type of system. Smart, strong arm and can run very well.

We will see I guess. I don't want to say what I really think of Chryst's abilities because he is a Vol, so I will just drop it and root for whoever wins the job...I still hope it's JG that wins it though.

Reactions: 1 person
National Championship replay on SEC Network if anyone wants to see some quality Georgia Face. Entering OT now.

Its a big deal when the exchange is directly behind the center like 95% of plays. When you are under center you can do sweeps, toss, power, counters, etc where it changes. As a rusher you usually rush to a spot, if that spot never changes... it makes your job easier.

Fun fact Barry Sanders was a very big advocate for the one back offense... he hated two back offenses. He said it muddy his vision/reads.

I just thought I would throw that in with a lot of people wanting to see a fullback in the game... legit arguments from
Both sides...

Is anyone else waiting for all these silent commits to finally break like...

giphy.gif

Been patiently waiting for a while. Ready to see this class start to really take shape.

Reactions: 2 people
Word is the new offense will be similar to what Coach Friend ran out at CSU. Here's a post from someone on VQ...

This also makes sense as to why they want Tagovailoa so badly. He's perfect for that type of system. Smart, strong arm and can run very well.

Yea I know the comments are coming....
but I just done trading some all 22 film of Alabama VS CSU for that very reason. They have a very multiple scheme and I think Will friend will have a lot of freedom in the run game... I would think they brought Joe O here for the RPO game and tempo... tempo being a bonus.

It’s going to be interesting to see what the offense looks like. My guess is you can probably throw out seeing the formation that was presented in the spring game... base package that I doubt we use very much... that’s really interesting stuff for sure Ron!

Yea I know the comments are coming....
but I just done trading some all 22 film of Alabama VS CSU for that very reason. They have a very multiple scheme and I think Will friend will have a lot of freedom in the run game... I would think they brought Joe O here for the RPO game and tempo... tempo being a bonus.

It’s going to be interesting to see what the offense looks like. My guess is you can probably throw out seeing the formation that was presented in the spring game... base package that I doubt we use very much... that’s really interesting stuff for sure Ron!
Which base package was that again?

The I formation... don’t think we see it as much... doesn’t show up in CSU offense that much... it’s more of an adjustment to them...

I don't think many people expect it to be a base formation. Just that we will actually see it sometimes.

Ahhhh I thought that was why people were getting excited expecting it to be an “a lot of the time” situation...

I kind of figured we’d still probably be in 11 personnel more than anything else.

Edit: we saw a good mix of that in the spring as well, so I wasn’t sure if you meant that or the looks with a FB. Edit 2: double checked an unofficial count the guys at Rockytoptalk did and we were in 11 personnel a large majority of the spring, FWIW. Probably safe to expect the addition of some vital newcomers will lead to them being more varied to some extent, though.

https://www.rockytoptalk.com/2018/5/14/17351190/tennessee-vols-football-spring-game-film-breakdown-offense-scheme

Last edited:

It's also why they hired Joe Osovet.

So who is Joe Osovet?

Osovet is well-known in coaching circles around the Northeast as a creative offensive mind. “The thing that really set us apart offensively was with our [run-pass option] game,” he says. “We were 90% RPOs. It really paid huge dividends. Over the past six years, we put up 40-some points per game. In five games we put up 75 points or more. I’ve clinic-ed with Ohio State, Georgia Southern, Villanova. I think it’s pretty unique what we do. A lot of people do it horizontally. We do it more vertically from a [vertical] shot standpoint. I know now the term RPOs is taking the football world by storm, but we’ve been doing it since the early 2000s.

“In 2001, we started to do it. We didn’t call it an RPO. We called it a Secondary Manipulation. The basic concept and how we stumbled upon it was we wanted to be in 10 personnel [one running back, four wide receivers]. We always had undersized slot receivers, and there was a physical mismatch between our slots who were like 5'8" or 5'9" and the overhang linebackers who were like 6'1" or 6'2". Our slots were dynamic with the ball in their hands, but if we ran the football they’d have to block these linebackers. We were at a physical disadvantage. So we thought, if they fall into the box [to defend the run], why not throw the stick [over the middle to an inside receiver]?”

Osovet said he visited Rich Rodriguez at West Virginia and also spent time at Baylor picking up Art Briles’s offense.

“It’ll be an adjustment not being the head guy, not being able to call the plays. I’d be lying to you if I didn’t say that, but I think it’ll go to a place where you might be the dumbest guy in the room for a change. I don’t have a big ego. Look at the opportunity that Coach Pruitt has given me, any way that I can help the University of Tennessee be successful, I’m willing to do it. Obviously if you work hard and do good things, your time will come and hopefully get a shot as a play-caller on the big stage.”

Full Article at:

Joe Osovet: Tennessee'''s new quality control coach a rising star | SI.com

Reactions: 6 people
7-on-7 High School Football

It’s 3 a.m. in Beaumont, Tex., 260 miles from a tournament that starts just eight hours from now, and Fast Houston, a 7-on-7 football team, can’t find one of its players.

The team is traveling in two 15-seat vans and three trailing cars, and inside the first van, tired high schoolers listen to rap music blasting from the speakers, sitting around a pile of pizza and burgers. They had been on the road from Houston for three hours on this early Saturday morning in late April, headed to Mandeville, La., about an hour north of New Orleans. But now they had pulled to a stop, their headlights illuminating an otherwise pitch-black neighborhood.

“We’re here to get T-Brown,” said Ro Simon Jr., the founder, director and head coach of Fast Houston. “Vick, c’mon, you got to get him.”

They were there to pick up four-star recruit Tamauzia Brown, but there was a problem: He hadn’t given them his exact address, only a general neighborhood location, and now, having probably fallen asleep, wasn’t responding to any calls or texts.

That left assistant coach Vick Machado with the task of knocking on doors in the middle of the night, hoping to find the correct home.

“I’m going to get shot if I go out there,” said Machado. “ ‘I’m here to pick up a kid, hopefully this is the right house.’ I’m in an Alabama jacket. It’s 3 a.m. No, I don’t want to go out there!”

He was on his way up to the first house when one of his players, Dwight McGlothern of New Caney, Tex., shouted a warning: “Dog! Vick, dog!”

As 7-on-7 football gains popularity, some high school coaches want it banned - The Washington Post

Reactions: 2 people
Here is the projected starting defense for WVU heading into fall camp.

Some notes:

1) Benson at SAM is a JUCO (Butler CC) that arrived in January (EE)
2) Tonkery at MIKE is a converted safety
3) Pitts at right corner is also a converted safety
4) They only have 1 blue chip player but most have decent age
5) They have a handful of summer arrivals so 2 or 3 of these guys may have some competition in fall camp
6) In 2017 their Run D ranked #104, Pass D ranked #91, Total D ranked #107, & Scoring D ranked #90
7) No coaching changes to 2017 staff and the offense got the new hire 10th assistant for Tight Ends

ScreenHunter_03 Jul. 25 01.23.gif

Reactions: 9 people
Here is the projected starting defense for WVU heading into fall camp.

Some notes:

1) Benson at SAM is a JUCO (Butler CC) that arrived in January (EE)
2) Tonkery at MIKE is a converted safety
3) Pitts at right corner is also a converted safety
4) They only have 1 blue chip player but most have decent age
5) They have a handful of summer arrivals so 2 or 3 of these guys may have some competition in fall camp
6) In 2017 their Run D ranked #104, Pass D ranked #91, Total D ranked #107, & Scoring D ranked #90
7) No coaching changes to 2017 staff and the offense got the new hire 10th assistant for Tight Ends

View attachment 160356

you are too good for us Chatt.

Reactions: 4 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back