Official Major League Soccer/US Men's National Team Thread

To me, the best thing about soccer is the level of competition. More people play this than any other game and these are the best players in the world. There is no other sport that can put a tournament together on this level, or even the level of the UEFA championship or the Champion's League.

Yep. I love my American sports, especially college football (obviously), but the breadth and depth of the competition in this tournament is incredible.

I got back from a European vacation last week and the WC started towards the tail end of the trip. I had had this thought before, but it really sank in when I was there how a tiny minority of the world cares or knows anything about pretty much most of the sports that are popular in the US, especially the sport I'm most passionate about (college football). Most of the rest of the world is following this tournament, and honestly struggles even with comprehending college athletics ("You follow kids that play the sport for a school?"). Kind of gives you a different perspective.

I would like to point out there is a big difference between watching a soccer game as a neutral and as a fan of a team. When I watch a team of mine, I know every player, the formation, how they play, and criticize every single pass, shot, dribble, or tackle throughout the game.

As a neutral observer to most of these games, I ideally would hope to see a game where there aren’t stoppages in play, constant fouling, and to see an overall open game where there are at least opportunities. I don’t think a high number of goals are necessary to make a fun game, but a lot of opportunities will.

Reactions: FallCreekVols
I would like to point out there is a big difference between watching a soccer game as a neutral and as a fan of a team. When I watch a team of mine, I know every player, the formation, how they play, and criticize every single pass, shot, dribble, or tackle throughout the game.

As a neutral observer to most of these games, I ideally would hope to see a game where there aren’t stoppages in play, constant fouling, and to see an overall open game where there are at least opportunities. I don’t think a high number of goals are necessary to make a fun game, but a lot of opportunities will.

Soccer and hockey might be 2 of the most nerve-wracking sports to watch as a fan. In football and baseball there typically but not always is some type of "build up" to a score, or an event that changes the game. In soccer and hockey, teams score goals all the time against the run of play, as especially in soccer the scoreline alone is not an indication of what team actually dominated the flow of the game.

In football, if you dominate time of possession, first downs, rushing yards, etc., you'll win the game probably over 95% of the time.

In soccer, you can dominate possession, complete way more passes or a higher percentage of your passes than the other team, etc., but that's only a mild assurance that you'll win.

To throw biopsy a bone, in fairness, there have been a lot of 1-0 finishes (10 to be exact) and 1-0 or 1-1 type of games aren't particularly uncommon in soccer.

If you do need scoring to be entertained, and I think a lot of Americans do, soccer isn't really the game for you. Lots of times the most notable thing in a soccer game is something that almost happened.

I have tried to watch it.. I just can’t., maybe if the field was 1/2 the size would improve scoring. It does appear the crowds have more fun than the actual game. Maybe they are hammered or high or both..

I have tried to watch it.. I just can’t., maybe if the field was 1/2 the size would improve scoring. It does appear the crowds have more fun than the actual game. Maybe they are hammered or high or both..

The easiest way to get into it would to actively rooot for a specific team. Watching the game as a fan is far more enjoyable than as a neutral.

Something needs to be done to eliminate the flopping. Some of the games are literally unwatchable, and it's a huge turnoff to a number of would-be viewers.

Something needs to be done to eliminate the flopping. Some of the games are literally unwatchable, and it's a huge turnoff to a number of would-be viewers.

Two things that I think prevent some potential fans from getting into the game are 1) flopping and 2) stoppage time.

Even when you explain why stoppage time is used instead of stopping the clock, a lot of people have a really hard time with it, especially since it is determined totally at the ref's discretion, is "at least" the amount of minutes announced, and common practice is to allow an attack to continue until the threat is over, even if the full amount of announced stoppage time has been played.

I like soccer but it does seem like the game should have a more objective end to it. Can you imagine a football game where the clock never stopped, stoppage time of "at least" a certain number of minutes was added, and if a team was putting together a drive during stoppage time and the number of announced minutes was played, common practice was to allow the team making the drive to continue until they scored, turned it over, etc.? It is...different.

Dortmund played Liverpool in Charlotte yesterday in the International Champions Cup. Pulisic earned and scored an equalizing PK, in the 89th minute he scored the go-ahead goal from the edge of the box, and then in the 93rd minute his SOG was redirected by the keeper and scored easily by a teammate. Dude is a freaking prodigy.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q7Vbli4bNc[/youtube]

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Dortmund played Liverpool in Charlotte yesterday in the International Champions Cup. Pulisic earned and scored an equalizing PK, in the 89th minute he scored the go-ahead goal from the edge of the box, and then in the 93rd minute his SOG was redirected by the keeper and scored easily by a teammate. Dude is a freaking prodigy.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q7Vbli4bNc[/youtube]

We need about 7 or 8 more guys of his quality on the USMNT.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
I have tried to watch it.. I just cant., maybe if the field was 1/2 the size would improve scoring. It does appear the crowds have more fun than the actual game. Maybe they are hammered or high or both..

As a "new" soccer fan in the last 10 years, I had to realize that soccer fans appreciate what happens anywhere on the pitch, not just around the goals. I mean passing, faking, ball-handling skills, even if it doesn't translate to scoring.

That said, I still much prefer watching teams that I care about like the US and also Peru in my case. Hard for me to get into most MLS games. I can watch European clubs if they have stars that I'm familiar with. I'm still a work in progress.

As a "new" soccer fan in the last 10 years, I had to realize that soccer fans appreciate what happens anywhere on the pitch, not just around the goals. I mean passing, faking, ball-handling skills, even if it doesn't translate to scoring.

That said, I still much prefer watching teams that I care about like the US and also Peru in my case. Hard for me to get into most MLS games. I can watch European clubs if they have stars that I'm familiar with. I'm still a work in progress.
I sure hope you find a team that you love and are passionate about. I can't begin to tell you how much I have enjoyed becoming an Arsenal supporter.

Reactions: FallCreekVols
Who's watching tonight? Pele is one of my top 3 favorite athletes, so I have been a Brazil fan since I was a child, before I knew the US had a national team. Neymar makes it tough to root for them these days though , and obviously I am pulling for USA.

I will be in NY in two weeks for work, wish this game was two weeks later.

Who's watching tonight? Pele is one of my top 3 favorite athletes, so I have been a Brazil fan since I was a child, before I knew the US had a national team. Neymar makes it tough to root for them these days though , and obviously I am pulling for USA.

I will be in NY in two weeks for work, wish this game was two weeks later.
Gonna check it out. Its fun seeing the young folks playing.

VN Store

Back