Strength coach making players run 80 yards up the Neyland ramp

in all fairness, my brother in law was a wrestler. the guy was about 120 lbs. there's a difference - albeit is still an impressive feat between sprinting that much at 120 or however lean a wrestler is versus a 225-315 lb person.

to say 'that's nothing' is apples and oranges. i get it, some of these guys are not in great cardiovascular shape. but thay's not what their training has been centered around.

Not all wrestlers are 120 pounds. The top weight class is 285 in college.

Most folks don't realize, soldiers and marines are basically paid athletes. I would say professional athletes, but (1) the game they "play" isn't for entertainment, and (2) most are far from world-class. Nonetheless, paid to be, primarily, athletes in a thinking man's "sport."

And so the training reflects that.

A post in these boards the other day said "military geek"...military are pretty much the polar opposites of geeks, heh.

Go Vols! Airborne!

:good!:

Hooah! :good!:

Reactions: 1 person
Lol, none of this is any news for me sir. I was an Infantry Officer with the 82nd Airborne Division. How about you carry 100+ lbs on your back and walk at a forced pace over 16 miles and get back to me. I also ran at least 6 miles every other day.

I've played college sports, I have done hill sprints, I have done endzone to endzone sprints. Way more than 10 just for not making it all the way in playoffs.

Thanks for trying though.
Which hurts you more, your stretched-out-of-joint elbow for patting your back so many times, or your bruised-up back for patting it so hard? Here: This'll make you happy: Whoa! You're one badass dude! Feel better?

Which hurts you more, your stretched-out-of-joint elbow for patting your back so many times, or your bruised-up back for patting it so hard? Here: This'll make you happy: Whoa! You're one badass dude! Feel better?

Did you take a cigarette break while typing all that?

Reactions: 3 people
Seems odd to me. Why would Title 9 kill the wrestling program here, while other major division 1 universities managed to keep theirs?

#bringwrestlingbacktothehill.

I think when Title 9 kicked in, schools had choices to make. Most of them had 12-15 men's varsity sports programs, and only a few women's sports. Faced with the need to balance those numbers, each college axed the men's sports they felt less invested in. For Tennessee, wrestling was one of those sacrificed. The universities that kept wrestling gave up something else.

Just how it all played out, as I recall.

Last edited:
p.s. I don't know how Title IX measures "balance" between the programs. Number of athletes, male vs female? Number of scholarships?

I used to think it was # of teams/programs/opportunities. But that's not it, because Tennessee has more women's varsity sports than men's.

Football is men only.
Rowing, Soccer, and Volleyball are women only.
All other varsity sports are balanced: Basketball, Baseball (men) and Softball (women), plus Swimming/Diving, Track and Field / Cross Country, Golf, and Tennis for both women and men.

If it's based on # of athletes or # of scholarships, that would make sense, since football has by far the biggest roster of any sport. Would take a couple extra women's teams to make up for it.

Anyone know?

Last edited:
Inclines are good to build up endurance and conditioning.

I read where Saban made the 08 team run 26 110 yard sprints in one hot August practice. I wonder if he could get away with that today?

True, I have a friend who was on that team and it was insane. If I am not mistaken it was at the end of the 4th quarter program and it was about 97* outside. Couple of non starters left that day.

Think you take my post out of context. I wasn't trying to do any of those things. However, an individual did state that I should go Sprint 10, 100 yard sprints and then walk one mile and tell him which one is easier. This in regards to a post that making a D1 football team run 28, 100 yard sprints isn't that bad.

Thanks for that though. Didn't know it was bad to back up your point with facts especially actual life facts.

I must be seeking attention.... Oh wait....

p.p.s. It's just crazy to me that there are only seven varsity sports for men at UT.

At West Point in the '80s, we had football, baseball, basketball, hockey, track/field, cross country (they counted as separate sports back then), swimming/diving, volleyball, wrestling, golf and tennis. And my memory may be off, but I think lacrosse and men's soccer may have been varsity, too. And that's before you add in the "club squad" sports like water polo, 150s football, team handball, and orienteering.

Heck, the female cadets had basketball, soccer, softball, volleyball, field hockey, track/field, cross country, swimming/diving, tennis, and golf. Plus surely others I'm forgetting.

It's a different world.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
p.p.s. It's just crazy to me that there are only six varsity sports for men at UT.

At West Point in the '80s, we had football, baseball, basketball, hockey, track/field, cross country (they counted as separate sports back then), swimming/diving, volleyball, wrestling, golf and tennis. And my memory may be off, but I think lacrosse and men's soccer may have been varsity, too. And that's before you add in the "club squad" sports like water polo, 150s football, team handball, and orienteering.

Heck, the female cadets had basketball, soccer, softball, volleyball, field hockey, track/field, cross country, swimming/diving, tennis, and golf. Plus surely others I'm forgetting.

It's a different world.

Ahhh West Point, this explains a lot JP.

p.s. I don't know how Title IX measures "balance" between the programs. Number of athletes, male vs female? Number of scholarships?

I used to think it was # of teams/programs/opportunities. But that's not it, because Tennessee has more women's varsity sports than men's.

Football is men only.
Rowing, Soccer, and Volleyball are women only.
All other varsity sports are balanced: Basketball, Baseball (men) and Softball (women), plus Swimming/Diving, Track and Field / Cross Country, Golf, and Tennis for both women and men.

If it's based on # of athletes or # of scholarships, that would make sense, since football has by far the biggest roster of any sport. Would take a couple extra women's teams to make up for it.

Anyone know?

Not 100% sure, but I think it's based on teams, with most teams equaling 1 "credit" but because football teams are so large and the resources so high, it counts as multiple "credits" - maybe 3? That would make sense with women having rowing, soccer, and volleyball.

Not 100% sure, but I think it's based on teams, with most teams equaling 1 "credit" but because football teams are so large and the resources so high, it counts as multiple "credits" - maybe 3? That would make sense with women having rowing, soccer, and volleyball.

Thanks. That one had me puzzled.

Seems odd to me. Why would Title 9 kill the wrestling program here, while other major division 1 universities managed to keep theirs?

#bringwrestlingbacktothehill.

Economics. Female sports scholarships for women has to equal the same number as male scholarships. Tennessee added teams for soccer, softball, rowing, and maybe others. Since football has son many males on scholarships, they felt that some male teams had to be eliminated and wrestling was one of the teams lost. I don't recall if it was the only men's team eliminated. The fact was back in the old days, football and men's basketball were the only teams which paid for their expenses. In fact, football paid for almost all of athletic expenses until the last 20-30 years . I realize my stats may be a little off, but I think one can get the "gist" of the reasoning. Deer Park may know or can get more data on the subject accurate data on the subject.

Did you take a cigarette break while typing all that?

tenor.gif

DP, any uniform changes this year aside from the rumored black cleats?

Unclear. There are a couple of minor changes with stripes on the helmet/pants that Pruitt/Fulmer wanted to make, but Nike is resistant to that because they made the solid single stripe that fades into a checkerboard a design element on the uniforms of several sports.

I know they're putting gray outlines on the orange numbers on the white PRACTICE jerseys to make it easier to identify and chart practice film, but as of right now that's not going to carry over to the game uniforms this year.

Remember, Nike has a 1-year lead time on jerseys because retail jerseys have to match. And Smokey Grey jerseys will still be sold in stores, but they're not expected to be worn.

Black cleats are definitely happening.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back