Strength coach making players run 80 yards up the Neyland ramp

Literally every strength coach at UT for every sport has used the Neyland ramp every year. I like what Fitzgerald is doing at UT, but let's not act like this is anything new. Every former athlete at UT from football players to rowers has a Gate 10 ramp story.

I doubt "Team 121" has a Gate 10 ramp story.

Reactions: 3 people
Its not, thats nothing compared to what we had to do before wrestling practice.

in all fairness, my brother in law was a wrestler. the guy was about 120 lbs. there's a difference - albeit is still an impressive feat between sprinting that much at 120 or however lean a wrestler is versus a 225-315 lb person.

to say 'that's nothing' is apples and oranges. i get it, some of these guys are not in great cardiovascular shape. but thay's not what their training has been centered around.

There's nothing like running uphill to expand your lung capacity. I try to do it 3 times a week when it's warm (I'll run in 90 degrees, but I admit I hate the cold). I normally do 3-4 miles of it. If you can do it on a mountain, even better. It will kick the crap out of you the first several times, but once you get acclimated to it, you'll have more endurance.

Serious question, DeerPark. Did those and this Fritz guy require the players to make that run more than once? Was it a weekly part of the training or something similar?

I know a lot of workouts involved sprints up the ramp, then a walk down. Usually 10x. It was a killer. Other sport strength coaches would sometimes follow it up with stairs in the upper deck, Dave Lawson used to follow it up with sprints on the field. The Gate 10 ramp is a great tool and the coaches panic when talk of removing it comes up.

I know a lot of workouts involved sprints up the ramp, then a walk down. Usually 10x. It was a killer. Other sport strength coaches would sometimes follow it up with stairs in the upper deck, Dave Lawson used to follow it up with sprints on the field. The Gate 10 ramp is a great tool and the coaches panic when talk of removing it comes up.

I've heard stories that back in the day, when the stadium open on the north end, that Neyland would tell the guys to "run to the checkerboards", meaning the checkers on Ayres Hall as a workout. Later, the checker endzones were symbolic.

Could be an "old wives tale", don't know. I like it enough to wish it was true!

Attachments

• ayres.jpg
    ayres.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 5
I’m going to miss that ramp when they redo that area. Looking forward to the new facade and plaza areas but will still miss it. There used to be one like it, only smaller, on the north side that went up to AA before the lower deck end zone replaced the bleachers.

Thanks DP. I had to ask because in the past, I got the impression this was done mainly to say guys had done it. But it turned out be a one and done thing. But if this is a regular part of the exercises, they should be ultra fit come game time. Thanks again.

Uphill sprints take a lot of pressure off the knee, but put a ton of pressure on your achilles. I ruptured mine doing this very thing about a year ago.

Didn't black iron have the team doing that one summer and in the season we had tons of Achilles issue?

Go run 10 100 yard sprints, then walk a mile and tell me which one was harder.

Lol, none of this is any news for me sir. I was an Infantry Officer with the 82nd Airborne Division. How about you carry 100+ lbs on your back and walk at a forced pace over 16 miles and get back to me. I also ran at least 6 miles every other day.

I've played college sports, I have done hill sprints, I have done endzone to endzone sprints. Way more than 10 just for not making it all the way in playoffs.

Thanks for trying though.

Reactions: 4 people
Didn't black iron have the team doing that one summer and in the season we had tons of Achilles issue?

A lot of times Achilles issues are linked with improper shoes not cushioning the impact of the back portion of the hill of your foot as you strike the ground. This also depends on running style. Some guys are midfoot strikers, hill strikers, etc. I would assume that rustabout is a hill striker which could have led to him rupturing his Achilles. Especially if he did not have the proper shoe on.

Used to have to do that when I would see the school bus turning around at the top of the hill. Mr. Perry wouldn't wait for slackers. Man, talk about cramps when I got on that bus!

Your FIRST thought was “how can I spin this negative for Pruitt?” :shades:

Yep.

The funny part was the ass chap he got when someone had a negative idea about Jones. Fans were the problem for creating a negative environment around the program, wasn't fair to the staff or players....blah, blah, blah.

He a Jones fan, not a UT fan.

Lol, none of this is any news for me sir. I was an Infantry Officer with the 82nd Airborne Division. How about you carry 100+ lbs on your back and walk at a forced pace over 16 miles and get back to me. I also ran at least 6 miles every other day.

I've played college sports, I have done hill sprints, I have done endzone to endzone sprints. Way more than 10 just for not making it all the way in playoffs.

Thanks for trying though.

Most folks don't realize, soldiers and marines are basically paid athletes. I would say professional athletes, but (1) the game they "play" isn't for entertainment, and (2) most are far from world-class. Nonetheless, paid to be, primarily, athletes in a thinking man's "sport."

And so the training reflects that.

A post in these boards the other day said "military geek"...military are pretty much the polar opposites of geeks, heh.

Go Vols! Airborne!

:good!:

Reactions: 2 people
Most folks don't realize, soldiers and marines are basically paid athletes. I would say professional athletes, but (1) the game they "play" isn't for entertainment, and (2) most are far from world-class. Nonetheless, paid to be, primarily, athletes in a thinking man's "sport."

And so the training reflects that.

A post in these boards the other day said "military geek"...military are pretty much the polar opposites of geeks, heh.

Go Vols! Airborne!

:good!:

All the Way!

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back