Nintendo Switch and Switch Lite Chatter

Man y’all been talking about the switch being sturdy and I come home to a broken left joy con. Anyone had this happen? Not sure if it happen when dropped or from my son trying to put it on crooked.

Fortunately you can buy just one and save a buck.

This happened a lot when it first came out. Contact Nintendo and they should replace it. At least they did a while ago

For a handheld, it actually is pretty cutting edge. The X1 Tegra chip, which is what powers the Switch, is not that old. The Playstation Vita was the most powerful handheld prior to Switch, and the Switch absolutely smokes the Vita.

Hence why I said for a system since it is a hybrid. I definitely plane on using mine both ways. Also, I just remembered Metroid Prime 4. I never played 3, but I'm stoked for 4. 1 and 2 we're legit.

For a handheld, it actually is pretty cutting edge. The X1 Tegra chip, which is what powers the Switch, is not that old. The Playstation Vita was the most powerful handheld prior to Switch, and the Switch absolutely smokes the Vita.

I’ve barely used my Switch in the dock, even though it looks great on my TV. I prefer the handheld mode.

I’ve barely used my Switch in the dock, even though it looks great on my TV. I prefer the handheld mode.

That's how my son prefers to play it as well. I prefer it docked. As nice as the Switch's screen is, it doesn't compare to my 60" plasma in 1080p. The colors just pop so much more, better contrast, better black levels, etc. Mario Kart 8 and Odyssey especially look gorgeous on my TV. Plus I love using the Switch Pro controller. It's so much more comfortable to me than the JoyCons.

That's how my son prefers to play it as well. I prefer it docked. As nice as the Switch's screen is, it doesn't compare to my 60" plasma in 1080p. The colors just pop so much more, better contrast, better black levels, etc. Mario Kart 8 and Odyssey especially look gorgeous on my TV. Plus I love using the Switch Pro controller. It's so much more comfortable to me than the JoyCons.

I don't have a Pro Controller and I'm getting one soon, so maybe I'll like that better. I had weird sync issues when I played BOTW on the TV with the controller. There was a delay even though I was only about 5 feet from the console.

I'm probably in the minority but compared to the NES and SNES generations, I really didnt enjoy the N64 generation that much. Sure, it had some excellent games like Mario 64, Zelda OoT and MM, Waverace, and Goldeneye. But overall, the N64 library paled compared to PS1's. Plus that controller was god awful! I enjoyed the Gamecube generation way more.

No, I agree. The Nintendo 64 is probably my least favorite Nintendo console overall. They made a big mistake going with carts over CDs and it cost them the 3rd party support that they are just now starting to fix. It does have some outstanding games, but to me the overall library was down. I think having 2 games that are considered the best of all time (Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time) bumps it up higher than it really is. Plus IMO it felt like almost every game worth playing was too similar, in that 3D platformer style.

Having said that, I'd definitely pick up a mini console with 20 of its best games on it.

No, I agree. The Nintendo 64 is probably my least favorite Nintendo console overall. They made a big mistake going with carts over CDs and it cost them the 3rd party support that they are just now starting to fix. It does have some outstanding games, but to me the overall library was down. I think having 2 games that are considered the best of all time (Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time) bumps it up higher than it really is. Plus IMO it felt like almost every game worth playing was too similar, in that 3D platformer style.

Having said that, I'd definitely pick up a mini console with 20 of its best games on it.

I think I read somewhere that the SNES had over 650 games release for the system. The N64 had something like 300 games. Less than HALF from the previous generation. The decision to stick with cartridges over CD-Rom was probably the costliest decision Nintendo ever made.

Having said that, I still take the N64 era over the Wii and certainly the Wii U eras. Nintendo completely lost me during that period. The Wii library was infested with ****ty shovelware with motion control gimmicks and Wii U was all around just a terrible, confusing product. I'm so glad they're back on track with the Switch.

I just want to play Star Wars Shadow of the Empire again, but Disney won’t ever allow that. One of the best SW games, imo. Paper Mario would be badass too.

I just want to play Star Wars Shadow of the Empire again, but Disney won’t ever allow that. One of the best SW games, imo. Paper Mario would be badass too.

I never got to play the original Paper Mario. However Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door on Gamecube was fantastic!

Agree. I play it docked with a pro controller as well.

Became a pro member or whatever its called at gamestop last night. It seems like it will pay for itself. Anymore of these type things I should know about? I saw where BB is doing away with their gamer program.

Sorry to sound like such a newb but I haven't played video games in about 14 years and now my son is into them and it's rekindled my interest.

Became a pro member or whatever its called at gamestop last night. It seems like it will pay for itself. Anymore of these type things I should know about? I saw where BB is doing away with their gamer program.

Sorry to sound like such a newb but I haven't played video games in about 14 years and now my son is into them and it's rekindled my interest.

Welcome aboard! How old is your son? My son is always looking for players his age to game with on Switch. He's seven.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! How old is your son? My son is always looking for players his age to game with on Switch. He's seven.

Just turned 8.

Right now we spend about 4 nights a week playing odyssey for an hour or two before bed. Just recently got donkey Kong and Zelda.

Just turned 8.

Right now we spend about 4 nights a week playing odyssey for an hour or two before bed. Just recently got donkey Kong and Zelda.

Awesome! Look into Splatoon 2. My son LOVES that game and is always looking for people to play online with. Also, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a must! That game is just pure joy to play! Another great one to play online with friends as well.

Awesome! Look into Splatoon 2. My son LOVES that game and is always looking for people to play online with. Also, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a must! That game is just pure joy to play! Another great one to play online with friends as well.

Haven’t done any online yet. If I do I’ll let you know.

We just traded Mario kart in last night to help pay for a new joy con. He got it for Christmas and was kinda done with it for a while. Odyssey assist mode logo has burned into my tv from little man playing it so much.

Gonna spend some time on donkey Kong but splatoon May be next for us.

I think I read somewhere that the SNES had over 650 games release for the system. The N64 had something like 300 games. Less than HALF from the previous generation. The decision to stick with cartridges over CD-Rom was probably the costliest decision Nintendo ever made.

Having said that, I still take the N64 era over the Wii and certainly the Wii U eras. Nintendo completely lost me during that period. The Wii library was infested with ****ty shovelware with motion control gimmicks and Wii U was all around just a terrible, confusing product. I'm so glad they're back on track with the Switch.

I would still take the Wii over the N64. The Wii certainly had more shovelware garbage and was gimmicky but for me there were still more quality titles. I probably only enjoyed 20-25 N64 titles, the Wii was closer to 40. The Wii U is neck and neck with the N64. It has about the same amount of titles I enjoyed as the N64 but it got zero attention and even Nintendo bailed on it.

I would still take the Wii over the N64. The Wii certainly had more shovelware garbage and was gimmicky but for me there were still more quality titles. I probably only enjoyed 20-25 N64 titles, the Wii was closer to 40. The Wii U is neck and neck with the N64. It has about the same amount of titles I enjoyed as the N64 but it got zero attention and even Nintendo bailed on it.

I think my problem with the Wii was two fold.

1.) I hated the fact that Nintendo did not embrace HD like Sony and MS did. I had just bought a brand new HDTV and was enjoying the games that were offered in the higher resolutions. There was no way I was going back to standard 480p definition with washed out colors and grainy, blurry imagery. The difference was too big and I had become spoiled.

2.) I really resented the fact that Nintendo was forcing me to play games a different way. I'm a stubborn SOB and I didn't want to get up and flail my arms. I wanted to sit my fat ass on the couch and push buttons! It would've been one thing if Nintendo gave us the option to play all games the traditional way but they didn't. Some games FORCED you to use motion controls and I just wasn't having it. I saw it as gimmicky BS from the beginning. The best thing that came out of the Wii was the Virtual Arcade.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back