Diamond is on fire..

Diamond playing in a "pretty" offense. 0-3 FG, 0 Points. 3 Rebounds. 4 Turnovers. Halftime.

Mercedes: 8 minutes. 0-1 FG. 2-2 FT. 0 Rebounds, 1 Assist. 2 Points.

Nared: 20 Minutes. 1-7 FG 2 Points. 1 REB, 1 Assist, 2 Steals.

Diamond playing in a "pretty" offense. 0-3 FG, 0 Points. 3 Rebounds. 4 Turnovers. Halftime.

Mercedes: 8 minutes. 0-1 FG. 2-2 FT. 0 Rebounds, 1 Assist. 2 Points.

Nared: 20 Minutes. 1-7 FG 2 Points. 1 REB, 1 Assist, 2 Steals.

It's true, none of the above mentioned players had a good game. You might even say they played poorly in what was either their first or second professional game. But, think about this.
I believe that there are currently 7 LV's playing in the WNBA.
Three of these WNBA players were together on the previous year's Tennessee team that lost 10 games including two to Alabama !! How is that possible ?

Reactions: 3 people
i know your point, but aren't pro athletes supposed to get better as they go forward?

? The point is a valid one. Aren't they also supposed to get Pro level while they're in college? The measuring stick for UT will not be Diamond because she was only here for one season. The measuring stick for the advancement of our players will be Jamie and Mercedes. If they get significantly better over this year after being here for their entire College duration... there's your sign.

Last edited:
? The point is a valid one. Aren't they also supposed to get Pro level while they're in college? The measuring stick for UT will not be Diamond because she was only here for one season. The measuring stick for the advancement of our players will be Jamie and Mercedes. If they get significantly better over this year after being here for their entire College duration... there's your sign.
One season? Bill Engvall says "here's your sign".

Reactions: 3 people
One season? Bill Engvall says "here's your sign".

I can't consider a player who comes in for one season and under performs a representative of what the Lady Vols coaching staff can do... I consider a player that entered college at UT and graduated from college at UT to be a representative of the coaching staff that handled them. As stated Diamond had skills before she got here and had moments where she displayed those skills yet She often had an equal amount of moments or she totally disappeared or totally gave up or totally did something to be taken out of the game. you've got a player with the skills and the caliber of a diamond DeShields and you let her disappear... "there" is your sign

A little slow today CJ? You may want to rethink the "ONE SEASON" comment.

I'll give you a hint. Check her stats for 2015-2016 and also for 2016-2017 and how about that redshirt. Think she was being coached that year? Does that add up to one season? Bill Engvall still says "Here's your sign".

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
A little slow today CJ? You may want to rethink the "ONE SEASON" comment.

I'll give you a hint. Check her stats for 2015-2016 and also for 2016-2017 and how about that redshirt. Think she was being coached that year? Does that add up to one season? Bill Engvall still says "Here's your sign".

Maybe I should have used red front

Nah. Just an accuracy font that would clean up your mistakes. Didn't think Alphas made those kind of mistakes. :dance2:

Kind of hard to remember Diamond being on the floor for more than a few games. Anyway it wasn't an alpha mistake, it was an alfalfa mistake

Reactions: 1 person
I can't consider a player who comes in for one season and under performs a representative of what the Lady Vols coaching staff can do... I consider a player that entered college at UT and graduated from college at UT to be a representative of the coaching staff that handled them.

Diamond D. was at UT for 3 years, and graduated from UT. Agree that she had / has skills, but to not credit her UT time is a dis-service to her and UT.

Reactions: 6 people
Diamond D. was at UT for 3 years, and graduated from UT. Agree that she had / has skills, but to not credit her UT time is a dis-service to her and UT.

Yes it probably is. So is the effort that we got out of her and the effort that this staff got out of her, except in a few Choice games. She disappeared quite a few games and and showed up, showed up, and showed her frustration in way too many games.

I seen her play when she was 12 13 and 14 and I never saw such lack of effort out of her as at times here in Tennessee.

I don't put it all on her though, That child wants to win more than anybody in the world but she's also subjective emotion and she lets her emotion dictate her energy when she gets frustrated you have to coach the emotion out of her and get her right back in line and it wasn't done.

I've told many on this site she needed a coach she couldn't impress.... Well she found one.

Seems like consistency is still an issue with Diamond. Up one game, down the next. It will be interesting to see if that trend continues.

Seems like consistency is still an issue with Diamond. Up one game, down the next. It will be interesting to see if that trend continues.

It looks like Chicago in general struggled. The rest of Chicago's starters didn't fare any better, except for Allie.

Right now, Diamond looks as good as any other rookie out there, which is to be expected given the early stage of the season and that most rosters aren't complete yet.

It looks like Chicago in general struggled. The rest of Chicago's starters didn't fare any better, except for Allie.

Right now, Diamond looks as good as any other rookie out there, which is to be expected given the early stage of the season and that most rosters aren't complete yet.

Why is their coach (Chicago) playing the lineup she is. I understand her starting PG is out but I also don't get why she is playing Gabby at the 4 instead of trying her at the 3 first. I think they struggle all season if they plan on playing Gabby there.

Imo she should have gone with Quigley or Faulkner at the PG position until Vandersloot returns. If she decided on Quigley at the point then the lineup should be;

PG-Quigley
SG-Deshields
SF-Gabby
PF-Cheyenne Parker
C-Dolson

and If she started Faulkner at PG it should be;

PG-Faulkner
SG-Quigley
SF-Deshields
PF-Cheyene Parker
C-Dolson

With Gabby playing heavy minutes as a backup with Quigley shifting to the PG or when Diamond comes out.

Diamond's talents didn't need to be developed... just utilized effectively in an offense built for her. Fever are pretty weak -- but she looked very good for her first game. With Williams and DeShield the Sky have two of the most athletic players in the league.
I trained her daddy, Delino (and several others living in Atlanta at that time), she would show up to shoot hoops. She was her Daddy's daughter no doubt, "Bop" rarely practiced any sport, just let his enormous athletic talent take over. Could have played NFL or NBA but simply didn't want to make the effort.

The other athletes used to sit around and marvel at his abilities. All natural.

Happy for her that she’s doing well. Her upside is huge And it appears she’s adjusting well to the high level of play.

Kind of sad that Holly’s best Pro is one who left after two years and those two years were the worst records Holly’s produced. Talk about not knowing how to manage talent.

Reactions: 4 people
Happy for her that she’s doing well. Her upside is huge And it appears she’s adjusting well to the high level of play.

Kind of sad that Holly’s best Pro is one who left after two years and those two years were the worst records Holly’s produced. Talk about not knowing how to manage talent.
Been watching that talent quite a bit lately...looks eerily familiar!!

Been watching that talent quite a bit lately...looks eerily familiar!!

She's having a fantastic rookie year. The transition from college to the WNBA is a very difficult one, and she's made the adjustment very well. Other than A'ja Wilson, there isn't a rookie this year who hasn't had tough games. Even Kelsey Mitchell, who started off very strong, has struggled the past few games.

Wilson aside, all of the rookies have seen a big drop off in their FG% from their college days. The fact that Diamond is hovering around 39% is actually quite good for a rookie. For reference, she's shooting better than Jaime and about the same as Mercedes while playing more minutes than both of them combined (when they are able to get off the bench). I find it funny that people here are trying to imply that her WNBA career hasn't been an immediate success so far.

However, she has been no Wilson. I'm amazed at how quickly she's come out of the gate and how she's picking up right where she left off. And it was nice to see Jaime get some 4th quarter PT in last night's game. She wasn't a factor on offense, but she played some nice defense on Loyd and KML during her time in the game.

She's having a fantastic rookie year. The transition from college to the WNBA is a very difficult one, and she's made the adjustment very well. Other than A'ja Wilson, there isn't a rookie this year who hasn't had tough games. Even Kelsey Mitchell, who started off very strong, has struggled the past few games.

Wilson aside, all of the rookies have seen a big drop off in their FG% from their college days. The fact that Diamond is hovering around 39% is actually quite good for a rookie. For reference, she's shooting better than Jaime and about the same as Mercedes while playing more minutes than both of them combined (when they are able to get off the bench). I find it funny that people here are trying to imply that her WNBA career hasn't been an immediate success so far.

However, she has been no Wilson. I'm amazed at how quickly she's come out of the gate and how she's picking up right where she left off. And it was nice to see Jaime get some 4th quarter PT in last night's game. She wasn't a factor on offense, but she played some nice defense on Loyd and KML during her time in the

DD will always be a star.

VN Store

Back