Diamond is on fire..

Ah, this is sample of one. And Diamond had some spectacular performances for the LVs as well (with Holly as coach). Consistency was DD's problem not the ability to look fantastic on a given night. To say that this one good shooting night means that Holly was impeding her is just really, really dumb; stupendously dumb.

Ah, this is sample of one. And Holly had some spectacular(coaching) performances for the LVs as well (with Diamond as player).:good!:See what I did there:eek:lol:.

Ah, this is sample of one. And Holly had some spectacular(coaching) performances for the LVs as well (with Diamond as player).:good!:See what I did there:eek:lol:.

The key to this whole thought process is ... Were those performances that DD had while she was a lady vol, because of coaching or in spite of coaching? That's the key to this whole thing as far as coaching versus individual potential for happenings like that. DD has always had potential to have breakout games... consistency is not brought on by the individual, it is brought about by who is guiding that individual

i know your point, but aren't pro athletes supposed to get better as they go forward?

But you must understand, you’re debating with people who have lost all objectivity re CHW. If a former LV player does well in the pros it’s an indictment on her and if a former LV player does poorly in the pros its an indictment on her. Go figure. In spite of CHW’s weaknesses, not every bad thing about LV players can be blamed on her.

Reactions: 6 people
The key to this whole thought process is ... Were those performances that DD had while she was a lady vol, because of coaching or in spite of coaching? That's the key to this whole thing as far as coaching versus individual potential for happenings like that. DD has always had potential to have breakout games... consistency is not brought on by the individual, it is brought about by who is guiding that individual

That answer is easy. When a LV player’s performance is bad it’s because of coaching and when the performance is good it’s in spite of. At least that’s the mentality of some.

Reactions: 4 people
Diamond may never be a star at the level of Wilson but she's been an excellent rookie so far. I also read and post at the Boneyard and the UConn faithful are pretty good to chat with but some of them had a significant of vitriol for Wilson and Mitchell, who have been off to great starts. Of course they love Williams and Nurse, and both were terrific college players. Nurse is playing very well but Williams isn't off to a strong start. She has talent but it isn't being utilized well or doesn't translate well to the WNBA.

That answer is easy. When a LV player’s performance is bad it’s because of coaching and when the performance is good it’s in spite of. At least that’s the mentality of some.
I believe it has a lot more to do with the environment that the player plays in. If a player plays in the system that Compliments her playing style they can excel. Diamond was in that type of style in the read react offense she should have been able to use her skills and have very consistent and very high output performances. But somewhere along the line something didn't work. Where it didn't work was when they veered away from the read and react offense that is made for a 4 guard set and devoted themselves to pounding it ball inside, even though the inside player had has a constant double and even triple team happening. It is best if they don't have a dominant post because they don't know how to use a dominant post and they don't know how to train the dominant post. Hopefully with this influx of guard forward players we're going to have to worry about that we can put four or five guard forwards on the floor and just run the hell out of the system. I actually think that this new change and composition is much more beneficial to the coaching staff. Here We Go Again folks Perfect Storm part 2

Diamond may never be a star at the level of Wilson but she's been an excellent rookie so far. I also read and post at the Boneyard and the UConn faithful are pretty good to chat with but some of them had a significant of vitriol for Wilson and Mitchell, who have been off to great starts. Of course they love Williams and Nurse, and both were terrific college players. Nurse is playing very well but Williams isn't off to a strong start. She has talent but it isn't being utilized well or doesn't translate well to the WNBA.

Gabby is in over her head as a WNBA PF. She can't guard opposing PFs, and she can't score over or around them on a regular basis. She pretty much needs to retool her game if she's gonna stay in the league. She has a nice spot up mid-range jumper, but she needs a consistent pull up jumper so the shot blockers aren't just waiting for her under the paint. As long as her, Diamond and Allie are on the team, she is at best a backup wing, and I'm not convinced that she has the tools right now to play that position at a high level. She had an exciting game for college, but it's not translating well to the pros at all.

Any UConn fans talking trash about A'ja Wilson or Kelsey Mitchell are just salty. Both of them have been great so far, especially A'ja. I do have to hand it to them that Kia Nurse is doing far better than I though she would, and Ariel Atkins has been a nice surprise for Washington as well. This has been a pretty good WNBA class.

Reactions: 1 person
I believe it has a lot more to do with the environment that the player plays in. If a player plays in the system that Compliments her playing style they can excel. Diamond was in that type of style in the read react offense she should have been able to use her skills and have very consistent and very high output performances. But somewhere along the line something didn't work. Where it didn't work was when they veered away from the read and react offense that is made for a 4 guard set and devoted themselves to pounding it ball inside, even though the inside player had has a constant double and even triple team happening. It is best if they don't have a dominant post because they don't know how to use a dominant post and they don't know how to train the dominant post. Hopefully with this influx of guard forward players we're going to have to worry about that we can put four or five guard forwards on the floor and just run the hell out of the system. I actually think that this new change and composition is much more beneficial to the coaching staff. Here We Go Again folks Perfect Storm part 2

That may be so, but Mercedes was also Holly's ultimate "Get out of jail free" card. She created so many mismatches and freed up her teammates so much because teams had to double/triple team her. Take that away, and all of those wings who can't shoot will need to find ways to score while being tightly defended. They need a system that prioritizes ball and player movement, which Holly has not developed since she's been HC.

For sure, points will be harder to come by, and playing an inefficient offensive style will pretty much guarantee a pretty low team FG%. Could be the worst of her coaching tenure.

Gabby is in over her head as a WNBA PF. She can't guard opposing PFs, and she can't score over or around them on a regular basis. She pretty much needs to retool her game if she's gonna stay in the league. She has a nice spot up mid-range jumper, but she needs a consistent pull up jumper so the shot blockers aren't just waiting for her under the paint. As long as her, Diamond and Allie are on the team, she is at best a backup wing, and I'm not convinced that she has the tools right now to play that position at a high level. She had an exciting game for college, but it's not translating well to the pros at all.

Any UConn fans talking trash about A'ja Wilson or Kelsey Mitchell are just salty. Both of them have been great so far, especially A'ja. I do have to hand it to them that Kia Nurse is doing far better than I though she would, and Ariel Atkins has been a nice surprise for Washington as well. This has been a pretty good WNBA class.

I enjoy the UConn board overall because I love the game and there are few places to discuss it. Mitchell was called a chucker and accused of not playing defense. Both were true at times. The Aja dislike eased up a bit this season. I expect homer posts about Gabby and Kia and they had great college careers. Kia is playing very well but I agree with some of what you said about Gabby. She's versatile and athletic as can be but isn't able to defend at the 4 position very well due to her size. Part of Gabby's success in college was the type of offense Geno played and how she was utilized. It made her an all american and won a lot of games for UConn.

This is a very strong rookie WNBA class.

I enjoy the UConn board overall because I love the game and there are few places to discuss it. Mitchell was called a chucker and accused of not playing defense. Both were true at times. The Aja dislike eased up a bit this season. I expect homer posts about Gabby and Kia and they had great college careers. Kia is playing very well but I agree with some of what you said about Gabby. She's versatile and athletic as can be but isn't able to defend at the 4 position very well due to her size. Part of Gabby's success in college was the type of offense Geno played and how she was utilized. It made her an all american and won a lot of games for UConn.

This is a very strong rookie WNBA class.

Chicago should've brought Gabby off the bench as a backup to Diamond at the 3. I understand she was drafted high but we've said her last 2 seasons at UConn that she would not be able to get away with playing the 4 in the league and it is showing. It isn't too late to make adjustments to help her be successful but I don't think Chicago's coach has a clue of what to do.

It is no way Gabby should still be starting at the 4 over the potential walking double double (Cheynne Parker). Parker would then come off the bench when Dolson returns.

Quigley is also at her best coming off the bench. Chicago has some talent and could be a playoff team with a lineup shakeup imo but their coach has to be willing to go to this lineup sooner than later (especially when Dolson is healthy again);

Starters/Bench
PG-Vandersloot/Faulkner
SG-Deshields/Quigley/Harper
SF-Copper/Williams/Montgomery
PF-Ndour/Parker
C-Dolson/Coates

Chicago should've brought Gabby off the bench as a backup to Diamond at the 3. I understand she was drafted high but we've said her last 2 seasons at UConn that she would not be able to get away with playing the 4 in the league and it is showing. It isn't too late to make adjustments to help her be successful but I don't think Chicago's coach has a clue of what to do.

It is no way Gabby should still be starting at the 4 over the potential walking double double (Cheynne Parker). Parker would then come off the bench when Dolson returns.

Quigley is also at her best coming off the bench. Chicago has some talent and could be a playoff team with a lineup shakeup imo but their coach has to be willing to go to this lineup sooner than later (especially when Dolson is healthy again);

Starters/Bench
PG-Vandersloot/Faulkner
SG-Deshields/Quigley/Harper
SF-Copper/Williams/Montgomery
PF-Ndour/Parker
C-Dolson/Coates

Great point.. Have no idea why coach still playing her almost 35mts with her scoring 4point.

Connecticut Sun (SHEKINNA STRICKLEN) at Atlanta Dream 6:00 PM.

LA Sparks (CANDACE PARKER) at Dallas Wings (GLORY JOHNSON) 7:00 PM

Washington Mystics at Chicago Sky (DIAMOND DESHIELDS) 8:00 PM ESPN-3

New York Liberty at Las Vegas Aces (JAIME NARED) 9:00 PM ESPN-2

Indiana Fever at Seattle Storm (MERCEDES RUSSELL) 9:00 PM ESPN-3

Chicago with a 13 point win over Atlanta.

Diamond missed her first 9 shots,but made 9 of her last 15.

23p/11r/2a/1s/9-24/3-8/2-3 and had a +16 plus/minus.

And btw,Diamond’s defensive assignment...Angel McCoughtry-6p/2a/1s/5t/1-11 fg.

Reactions: 5 people

Yes! GO DIAMOND!

Last game vs the Mercury, she had the defensive assignment on Taurasi and shut her down for most 3 quarters while guarding her. Diana did most of her damage with Quigly or Sloot on her. She's playing hard on both ends of the floor!

Reactions: 4 people
Last game vs the Mercury, she had the defensive assignment on Taurasi and shut her down for most 3 quarters while guarding her. Diana did most of her damage with Quigly or Sloot on her. She's playing hard on both ends of the floor!

Yep,DD also put up 16p/4-10 fg/7-7 ft...and had a +15 plus/minus.

DeShields is turning into a legit two-way player.

Last edited:
To those folks in here thinking... Kaela Davis over Diamond DeShields...🙄✌️
The numbers speak for themselves.

Off Topic, but does anyone know what’s going on with Izzy? That’d be quite a tandem with Izzy and A’ja.

She has an autoimmune disorder. Caused hair loss and fatigue. She is staying with her sister in TX and working in a master's degree.

She has an autoimmune disorder. Caused hair loss and fatigue. She is staying with her sister in TX and working in a master's degree.

Oh my. Had no clue. Thoughts and prayers are with her during this time.

The Sky beat the Liberty.

DeShields:22p/4r/6-10/2-5/8-10...and completely shut down whoever she was guarding.

She also drew a late charge in the final minute which pretty much sealed the win for Chicago.

She's looked so much better since Stefanie Dolson came back. Stefanie's sharp passing from the FT line area has made Diamond's movement off the ball so much more productive. Combined with Sloot's court vision, Diamond's getting a lot of good looks at open jumpers or open driving lanes, and she's capitalized on that. Great season for her so far.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back