Coach Pruitt comment

At least Butch won 9 games in a season. Twice. And was a better recruiter. They had a very similar level of in-game coaching ability.

It's easy to be a prisoner of the moment, but Butch was a much better coach than Dooley. That shows you how bad Dooley was, not that Butch was good.

This.

Neither were good coaches, but I could still see Butch getting another HC job not too far down the road, probably at another mid-major type school. Dooley, on the other hand, I'm surprised even managed to land a Division 1 OC job.

Reactions: 3 people
This.

Neither were good coaches, but I could still see Butch getting another HC job not too far down the road, probably at another mid-major type school. Dooley, on the other hand, I'm surprised even managed to land a Division 1 OC job.

I'm sure Central Michigan or Cincinnati wouldn't mind having him back right now.

His Big East offense got exposed quickly after Dobb’s departure to the NFL.

NO..it really didn't take that long....

It was one long process of continually being exposed...couldn't finish games with 2 TD leads...couldn't get 1 first down against Vandy to finish 2 games...couldn't beat USCe.....wouldn't change QBs to beat Fla in 2014...

couldn't put up more than 21 on Mizzou at home in 2014...

etc....etc....etc....

Some of us on here pointed all of that out to you "experts" on here....and were continually called NEGAS......

Reactions: 1 person
Some folks have Butch on their mind.
So much so, he's there all the time.
Whatever course a discussion takes;
They grab their trusty forum rakes;
And stroke the embers of their Butch whines.
Until they got a leaping bonfire one more time.
It doesn't matter that the man is long gone;
They just can't leave that obvious fact alone.
And focus on the Pruitt era that's yet to unfold.
Along with the promise of adventures yet to be told.
Yeah, they got Butch permanently on the mind.
And he's there rent free all the gosh-darn time.

[Sung to the tune of I'm Checking Out as sung by Meryl Streep]

--WoodsmanVol--

Last edited:
You have got to like this.

Jeremy Pruitt following Spring Practice No. 10: “When you lineup on the goal line – heck we may not line up with wide receivers. We want to play how we want to play.”

Please don't take this as a condemnation of Pruitt or anything of the sort.... but the same kind of comments were posted when the last three coaches uttered them. Posters like you "loved" them saying it and started threads to praise them.

Sayin' it... ain't the same as doin' it.

Please don't take this as a condemnation of Pruitt or anything of the sort.... but the same kind of comments were posted when the last three coaches uttered them. Posters like you "loved" them saying it and started threads to praise them.

Sayin' it... ain't the same as doin' it.

:thumbsup: yup.

"We want to play how we want to play." Definitely no coachspeak, sloganeering, or clichéd BS there.

no it isn't, but i remember very clearly when Fulmer would give us his "we do what we do" shtick and he'd get roasted because he was stubborn and didn't change with the times.

none of this matters. it is just different than butch. and most of us like that.

it doesn't, in and of itself, mean anything to w's and l's. recruit, teach, develop....

At least Butch won 9 games in a season. Twice. And was a better recruiter. They had a very similar level of in-game coaching ability.

It's easy to be a prisoner of the moment, but Butch was a much better coach than Dooley. That shows you how bad Dooley was, not that Butch was good.

maybe...but Dooley went straight to the Dallas Cowboys as a WR position coach...Jones on the other hand...intern

the last 3 years "better than dooley" was used ad nauseum around here as "not the standard we're looking for" and now that he's gone, all the sudden, dooley is better?

i saw "prisoner of the moment" used somewhere. i think this dooley > butch conversation fits there.

Let’s not forget how Butch Jones scheme made the best offensive line in the country look mediocre. Butch Jones inherited the best line in the country at UT and the line regressed.

He won 9 games two years in a row. The man is not woody woofenhoffer

Jones was a very bad coach. I was attacked pretty consistently for not drinking the Jones flavored koolaid.

Jones' used car approach got him one good recruiting cycle at UT after inheriting set ups from Kelly that made him look better than he ever was. He is NOT a good coach.

Dooley can apparently coach at least in the opinion of one pro football GM. Maybe Jones can get a job as the Buc's equipment manager next? Yeah... I was attacked and called a Dooley lover because I didn't think he was worthless scum simply because he took a terrible situation and failed.

Reactions: 2 people
You can make the case that Butch was actually the worst coach we’ve had in 5 decades. It’s debatable but there’s a case to be made.

That might actually be a good offseason thread - who was worse, Dools or Butch and explain why.

I would say Butch was worse. Atleast Dools, I can laugh at. Butch made me want to punch him in the face.

In my opinion, Jones two nine win season's weren't an accomplishment they were a failure. They weren't bringing a decent team to a good record, they were bringing a great team down to a decent record. In 15 and 16 he had the team's to get at least 10 or 11 win season's but because of poor coaching they ended up with less, not the other way around. Sure some will disagree, but Oklahoma, Arkansas, Florida, and Bama could all have been wins in 15 with actual coaching, and Texas A&M, USC, and Vandy in 16. What we saw was great talent on a great team with horrible coaching that drug them down from what could have been two stellar season's. Want proof? Look at last year when those impact players left and injuries occurred. A good coach could have won at least 2 to 3 more games last year. Florida, Kentucky, and USC were all last minute games that if were led by a competent coach would have been wins. Not to mention that lsu and Vandy could have been much closer with a good coach that wasn't fired mid year. Butch didn't win two 9 win seasons but he did recruit the players that did..

Reactions: 2 people
Jones was a very bad coach. I was attacked pretty consistently for not drinking the Jones flavored koolaid.

Jones' used car approach got him one good recruiting cycle at UT after inheriting set ups from Kelly that made him look better than he ever was. He is NOT a good coach.

Dooley can apparently coach at least in the opinion of one pro football GM. Maybe Jones can get a job as the Buc's equipment manager next? Yeah... I was attacked and called a Dooley lover because I didn't think he was worthless scum simply because he took a terrible situation and failed.

You stated that if Butch didn’t win six games the first season, he should be fired. It was hard to take you seriously after that...especially when you ventured that Dooley’s leavings was more talented than a SC team that finished 4th in the rankings. As a total, Butch didn’t fail in the immediate beginning. His system was inflexible and the coaches he hired (and himself) were not good teachers. Dooley started with decent talent and ran it into the ground. Butch built decent talent...won a little...and then drove off a cliff. I never have and will never believe that the ATTRITION that was your pet bisch led to his downfall. Not ONE would have affected our fortunes. Hendrix can’t get on the field at Pitt. Butch’s system would not have employed Wharton’s skills, Payne doesn’t play here...found a home at Iowa State. You even complained about Ray Raulerson! Meh talent that prolly doesn’t even play in that cesspool rotation last year. Scheme, teaching and development was the core of the failure and that couldn’t be concluded until it revealed itself. As you cry yourself to sleep because no one built a statue for you, comfort yourself that when something becomes a FACT...everyone gets the memo.

Edit: And ftr, Dooley was slated to be fired as the Cowboys WR’s coach. The news was leaked, then retracted and he suddenly landed the Mizzou OC gig. Reviews of his tenure here aren’t glowing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
You stated that if Butch didn’t win six games the first season, he should be fired. It was hard to take you seriously after that...especially when you ventured that Dooley’s leavings was more talented than a SC team that finished 4th in the rankings. As a total, Butch didn’t fail in the immediate beginning. His system was inflexible and the coaches he hired (and himself) were not good teachers. Dooley started with decent talent and ran it into the ground. Butch built decent talent...won a little...and then drove off a cliff. I never have and will never believe that the ATTRITION that was your pet bisch led to his downfall. Not ONE would have affected our fortunes. Hendrix can’t get on the field at Pitt. Butch’s system would not have employed Wharton’s skills, Payne doesn’t play here...found a home at Iowa State. You even complained about Ray Raulerson! Meh talent that prolly doesn’t even play in that cesspool rotation last year. Scheme, teaching and development was the core of the failure and that couldn’t be concluded until it revealed itself. As you cry yourself to sleep because no one built a statue for you, comfort yourself that when something becomes a FACT...everyone gets the memo.

Edit: And ftr, Dooley was slated to be fired as the Cowboys WR’s coach. The news was leaked, then retracted and he suddenly landed the Mizzou OC gig. Reviews of his tenure here aren’t glowing.

Quoted for visibility.

VN Store

Back