Recruiting Forum Football Talk LVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
After being at a party, I only listened to him late in the game. I really don't think he was trying to create a controversy. It is just so ironic that the hot topic on field issue this year came up crucial late in the game. No one truly has a clue what the review will be, which is the problem.

I agreed that it was a catch. But Dez Bryant took 2 steps 4 years ago and tried to cross the goal line. His was a little different because he wasn't exactly running after the catch. Collingsworth was making the point that if the review official deemed the defender caused Ertz to go down then that could change the decision.

This is a great take. The problem is we just don't know the rule or better yet how it's going to be enforced. From Dez to the Pitt overturn this year to this we just don't know what it all means

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Tom Brady looks weird. Like an anorexic 50 year old woman.

[TWITTER]https://mobile.twitter.com/NFLMemes4You/status/960270562122637312?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fcbssports.cbsi.com%2Fremote.html%3F1516850240342[/TWITTER]

Reactions: 9 people
The question was did the catch cause him to go to the ground. If it did he has to hold thru the fall but since he took 3 steps before he was runner and just dove instead of falling

Watch the stealers catch no catch and you will understanding the discussion

Just watched the Steelers play and it is not comparable to the one last night. Jesse James was falling as he made the catch which would make sense that he would need to control it through the ground.

The old school question would be is the extra effort to extend the ball into the end zone a "football move"? I kind of think so, so even though he needed to maintain possession through the ground since he was falling when he received the ball did he show enough control when he made a "football move"? I think so and that grey area should be cleared up with their re-evaluation of the catch rule this offseason.

Now Ertz made the catch, took three steps, made a dive towards the end zone while advancing the ball 5 yards. Every slant play inside the Red Zone where a player catches the ball and advances it towards the end zone is suspect moving forward if you don't call that one a catch. This one was no where near comparable to the Jesse James play and there shouldn't have even been a question that it was a catch.

Reactions: 9 people
Both D's in last night's game need some serious roster adjustments in the off season. To be the last game of the season with two weeks to prepare after both having strong regular seasons - the secondaries of both were really bad. Realize each were going against strong playmakers on O. But so many big plays happened where they were just totally lost.

Tiffany Brady?

No.

raw

Just watched the Steelers play and it is not comparable to the one last night. Jesse James was falling as he made the catch which would make sense that he would need to control it through the ground.

The old school question would be is the extra effort to extend the ball into the end zone a "football move"? I kind of think so, so even though he needed to maintain possession through the ground since he was falling when he received the ball did he show enough control when he made a "football move"? I think so and that grey area should be cleared up with their re-evaluation of the catch rule this offseason.

Now Ertz made the catch, took three steps, made a dive towards the end zone while advancing the ball 5 yards. Every slant play inside the Red Zone where a player catches the ball and advances it towards the end zone is suspect moving forward if you don't call that one a catch. This one was no where near comparable to the Jesse James play and there shouldn't have even been a question that it was a catch.

Yea the stealers play was different but imo when he hit the ground and reached forward he was no longer catching the ball. It's all confusing to say the least

Last edited:
I thought that Ertz catch was indeed a catch but the problem is I thought Jesse James catch with the Steelers was definitely a catch too. So even though I thought it was a catch I was definitely holding my breath to make sure the refs didn’t blow it.

Problem is the NFL is going to try and “simplify” that rule this offseason. With the NFL and Goodell that means that the rule will somehow get even more confusing, IMO.

After being at a party, I only listened to him late in the game. I really don't think he was trying to create a controversy. It is just so ironic that the hot topic on field issue this year came up crucial late in the game. No one truly has a clue what the review will be, which is the problem.

I agreed that it was a catch. But Dez Bryant took 2 steps 4 years ago and tried to cross the goal line. His was a little different because he wasn't exactly running after the catch. Collingsworth was making the point that if the review official deemed the defender caused Ertz to go down then that could change the decision.

NFL messing things up like they usually do. They sit around as owners and execs and overthink things to the point of killing the goose than laid the golden eggs (hat tip to Stephen Covey).

Collingsworth was either trying to create controversy by continuing to bring them up long after the game had moved on and the booth had confirmed the calls on the field, or, he is one neurotic fan boy.

In a normal world of football, Dez made the catch. This stuff traces back to when they started messing with the rules to make them better in their minds. Whether it was intentional to help control outcomes is anybody's guess. Example - the tuck rule. Everybody knows Brady fumbled. But they had messed with the rules interpretation to the point that the officials could bend it whatever way they saw fit. So it calls into question intent and the ethics of the sport.

Goodell stated in the past week they need to revisit the catch rule because they know they have made a mockery of it. Rule changes on fundamentals totally destroy the tradition and over time, the culture of the game. When you lose the trust of the fans, you are heading down the slippery slope. When they add in SJW support, they speed up the descent.

JMO. :hi:

Reactions: 3 people
NFL messing things up like they usually do. They sit around as owners and execs and overthink things to the point of killing the goose than laid the golden eggs (hat tip to Stephen Covey).

Collingsworth was either trying to create controversy by continuing to bring them up long after the game had moved on and the booth had confirmed the calls on the field, or, he is one neurotic fan boy.

In a normal world of football, Dez made the catch. This stuff traces back to when they started messing with the rules to make them better in their minds. Whether it was intentional to help control outcomes is anybody's guess. Example - the tuck rule. Everybody knows Brady fumbled. But they had messed with the rules interpretation to the point that the officials could bend it whatever way they saw fit. So it calls into question intent and the ethics of the sport.

Goodell stated in the past week they need to revisit the catch rule because they know they have made a mockery of it. Rule changes on fundamentals totally destroy the tradition and over time, the culture of the game. When you lose the trust of the fans, you are heading down the slippery slope. When they add in SJW support, they speed up the descent.

JMO. :hi:

Yea, I don't necessarily disagree, but the NFL has created the controversy with its rules interpretation. It's Collingsworth's job to comment on it. I am a Cowboys fan and don't like either team, but I heard him talk very glowingly of both QB's. He was very impressed with Nick Foles.

It's JMO, but I find Collingsworth to be one of the better analysts. Romo has burst on the scene.

Reactions: 3 people
We should hire butch jones back as recruiting coordinator. He always pulled big names on NSD.

There shouldn’t be any controversy on the reviews from last night.

Both were correct. Really not even a debate.

There shouldn’t be any controversy on the reviews from last night.

Both were correct. Really not even a debate.

The controversy was created well before last night. 4 years of weird reviews. That's why it's a "debate." The NFL created it. Otherwise, nothing would have ever been mentioned.

This. It is absolutely insane that a football guy like Collinsworth can talk his way into somehow explaining why that Zach Ertz TD wasn’t a catch. I don’t care whether the defender tackled him or whatever other nonsense he was talking about. Just watch the play. It’s a TD. Period. People just trying to be too cute by half and be dramatic about knowing how those darn controversial rules work.

I can at least see the controversy over the Clement TD, the Steelers play and the Dez play, though I would call all three catches (because they clearly controlled the ball)... but the fact that Collinsworth even thought the Ertz play was controversial—let alone the fact that he actually thought it should be ruled incomplete—is truly baffling.

Reactions: 4 people
The controversy was created well before last night. 4 years of weird reviews. That's why it's a "debate." The NFL created it. Otherwise, nothing would have ever been mentioned.

I agree to an extent—the NFL stopped the game to review the play, after all—but the Ertz play wasn’t remotely comparable to the Steelers play (or any other play where I’ve seen it called incomplete). Just not even in the same ballpark.

Reactions: 2 people
This. It is absolutely insane that a football guy like Collinsworth can talk his way into somehow explaining why that Zach Ertz TD wasn’t a catch. I don’t care whether the defender tackled him or whatever other nonsense he was talking about. Just watch the play. It’s a TD. Period. People just trying to be too cute by half and be dramatic about knowing how those darn controversial rules work.

I can at least see the controversy over the Clement TD, the Steelers play and the Dez play, though I would call all three catches (because they clearly controlled the ball)... but the fact that Collinsworth even thought the Ertz play was controversial—let alone the fact that he actually thought it should be ruled incomplete—is truly baffling.

Replays are ruining the viewing experience...JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back