Game Thread Lady Vols at South Carolina

Didn’t a poster say he apologized and was emotional? We have seen that a lot on this site with posters overreacting.

He has 4 girls and is protective I’m sure and was upset his daughter was upset. Did he go about it the right way. NO! But if he addressed and apologized to the proper people let’s move on!?! But if anyone wants to post the apology because they posted the rant maybe that would help!?!

I for one want to enjoy this win and move on to ND that’s another tough place to play. These baby Vols are being forced to grow up. I guess what CPS said was true once conference games hit you’re no longer a freshman.

Last thing I know that twitter gives us a way to interact with people but fanning the flames with tweets as LV fans when things are emotional doesnt seem smart either. 👀

Reactions: 3 people
Parents haven't changed, teacher, the warped sense of adult-intellect with networks like Nick and Disney portraying parents as idiots is what has changed things.

Leave Hayes alone.

She just had a great game off the bench. I have coached (not a teacher, a coach!) for more than 2/3 of my life...The singlemost impossible role to fill is sixth man. You can't recruit for that role. It is one that has to be accepted, relished and ready at an instant. She does this.

And ANYONE that goes on this board and instigates things that will turn the tide of this team will face me! And right now, stirring up this topic again that you started with the TAMU post-game presser is just looking for a way to disrupt progress....That is the epitome of a troll.

Maybe you're not a troll...Act like it.

Cooper, Law are already watching us float back to the top. I'd prefer not to lose another member.

Chill. I don’t get where you think this is a personal attack on Annie or the team or anyone else. Im not the one in here calling people names.

I think his point was to point out how stupid his rant was. Take two goody powders, grab an ice pack and hit the hay. We don't need you running around in here all goofy. Hope you heal up quick.
Already ahead of you boss I just took an antacid and now it's time close my eyes for a while sorry if I upset the Forum just defending my girls that's all

Reactions: 1 person
Why do posters show up late in the game, post negative comments then disappear when the LVs win?

Great W today. LVs lost their composure, got it together and came back to finish with a double digit win against a top 10 team. Westbrook has looked shaky, but she came on strong at the end. FR didn't fold-- a good sign with ND on deck.

Reading some of the posts if I hadn't watched the game I would've thought they played horrible. I think they may be the ones who didn't watch.

Beat the defending Natl champs on their floor by 16. Love proving people wrong. Keep being negative.

Come on. It’s a great win, but let’s not pretend SC is anywhere near a championship team without Wilson. Likely a very different result if she plays.

Just woke up and am looking at game stats. Nice to see the LV'S made almost all their layups. Evina got all her points in the 2nd half and it looks like turnovers, while high, we're overcome by other game factors. Nice win in front of a large crowd.

I would recommend to go the the SC site and listen to Staley's comments after the game. straight forward - honest and telling . I also watched her presser before the have and she recognizes that freshmen are just that. both enjoyable because there was no pretense.

I didn't get to watch the game but caught bits and pieces of the broadcast. I look in here, and yet again, I find the same posters who like to disrupt things with their worthless Hate Holly posts. I, personally, would like to invite the 3 of you to get out of here. Your comments are wasted in this forum. Your worth is zero. This really is a Lady Vols forum for fans of the Lady Vols.

Reactions: 7 people
Or not. Have to play the game to find out.

Rickster I find it interesting that many of the same posters who proclaim injuries are never an excuse when they go against the LVs seem to be the first to discount LV wins when the opponents have injuries.

Reactions: 6 people
Again, I got to the game late on DVR.
Some thoughts:

I wish people would chill on the Hayes versus Westbrook PG role. The LVs are lucky to have two players that give very different looks. Flexibility is a weapon.

Annie saved the day in the first half but Evina showed a lot of mettle and was very good in the 2nd, particularly when the game got tight in the 4th quarter.

This game was really the first one this season where I was a little disappointed in Mercedes (in the 2nd half). I am not sure if she fatigued from fighting the double teams in the first half but she stopped fighting for post position in the 2nd half. Without MR becoming a target in the post, the LVs were not able to run an effective half court offense and that let SC whittle down the lead and then really cut when their press rattled our guards. On the other side, Holly and company made a good adjustment in having her play out higher and setting picks which opened up driving lanes.

There was a little déjà vu from A&M when the LVs built a lead and then squandered it away by forcing passes and just getting sloppy with the ball. I don’t quite understand what happens but that is the one big short fall that they need to correct soon if they are going to be a real contender.

Reactions: 8 people
Rickster I find it interesting that many of the same posters who proclaim injuries are never an excuse when they go against the LVs seem to be the first to discount LV wins when the opponents have injuries.

Yea, that's a dichotomy for sure. I guess we both know why but it sure is disappointing that the same ole posters post the same ole stuff and attempt to cheapen wins even though the team results are nothing like the past two years. This team is fun to watch most of the time and they tend to put a lot more points on the board when they focus. I guess some posters are stuck in a time warp and don't know how to break out of the negativity.

Some thoughts:

I wish people would chill on the Hayes versus Westbrook PG role. The LVs are lucky to have two players that give very different looks. Flexibility is a weapon.

Annie saved the day in the first half but Evina showed a lot of mettle and was very good in the 2nd, particularly when the game got tight in the 4th quarter.

This game was really the first one this season where I was a little disappointed in Mercedes (in the 2nd half). I am not sure if she fatigued from fighting the double teams in the first half but she stopped fighting for post position in the 2nd half. Without MR becoming a target in the post, the LVs were not able to run an effective half court offense and that let SC whittle down the lead and then really cut when their press rattled our guards. On the other side, Holly and company made a good adjustment in having her play out higher and setting picks which opened up driving lanes.

There was a little déjà vu from A&M when the LVs built a lead and then squandered it away by forcing passes and just getting sloppy with the ball. I don’t quite understand what happens but that is the one big short fall that they need to correct soon if they are going to be a real contender.

This team has a lot of looks that give opponents problems. Having three different guards with different skill sets along with the stability provided by MR and JN and the up and coming games of London and RD makes preparation for this team a bit difficult especially when KD is hitting threes. I believe this team will beat itself before an opponent on the schedule beats them. They just need to learn to put the pedal to the metal when they get those double digit leads and not let up by trying to make someone's highlight reel. Just keep doing what got them the lead until the other team stops it then do something different but effective.....

Reactions: 6 people
Some thoughts:

Thank you for requesting that folk chill with the Evina vs Annie PG roles because we need them both and both provide something special for us that other teams will have a problem stopping.

Not to bring up a dead issue but this is also why her dad went on a tirade.

A lot of people like to share information that supports their claim rather than providing the entire substance.

After the constant bashing of his daughter and how she performed against Carter on defense he began to defend her and felt that the coaching staff (Holly in particular) and the fan base seems to always try to put them against each other and not play them with each other (as the two of them have often requested to do).

His argument was never about her not playing in the 4th and overtime or playing time at all. It was more so that we shouldn't have lost to A&M and why we lost he felt was unacceptable when he felt like certain players (not including his daughter) performed well down the stretch and still wasn't in the game.

Yes it was probably the wrong time and place to do so but if the true screen shots were revealed of some of the things said toward his daughter on both FB and Twitter many would've understood his tirade.

I am the poster that was mentioned in another thread about defending him because I agreed with many of his assessments concerning play and performance down the stretch and how many of the posters were disrespectful in what they were saying about his daughter.

My argument was you can't tell a parent how to feel or respond when their child is hurt. You just have to hope that they do it in a more mature way.

Reactions: 2 people
Thank you for requesting that folk chill with the Evina vs Annie PG roles because we need them both and both provide something special for us that other teams will have a problem stopping.

Not to bring up a dead issue but this is also why her dad went on a tirade.

A lot of people like to share information that supports their claim rather than providing the entire substance.

After the constant bashing of his daughter and how she performed against Carter on defense he began to defend her and felt that the coaching staff (Holly in particular) and the fan base seems to always try to put them against each other and not play them with each other (as the two of them have often requested to do).

His argument was never about her not playing in the 4th and overtime or playing time at all. It was more so that we shouldn't have lost to A&M and why we lost he felt was unacceptable when he felt like certain players (not including his daughter) performed well down the stretch and still wasn't in the game.

Yes it was probably the wrong time and place to do so but if the true screen shots were revealed of some of the things said toward his daughter on both FB and Twitter many would've understood his tirade.

I am the poster that was mentioned in another thread about defending him because I agreed with many of his assessments concerning play and performance down the stretch and how many of the posters were disrespectful in what they were saying about his daughter.

My argument was you can't tell a parent how to feel or respond when their child is hurt. You just have to hope that they do it in a more mature way.

Water under the bridge, however your comments were not a good look when you engaged with Mr. Hayes.

Water under the bridge, however your comments were not a good look when you engaged with Mr. Hayes.

And that is your opinion and we all had a right to, what's clearly not a good look is for folk to take what occurred on that platform and bring it onto this platform and not tell the full story.

It made it seem as such he just went off when that wasn't the case, therefore if folk are to tell it, tell the entire story and not pick and choose what they share.

Because the selective screen shots posted was uploaded to make it one-sided and not share the contributing factors which isn't cool and I stand behind everything I said.

His daughter wasn't the only one guarding Carter that night and when she was we were in a zone and when she blew by his daughter there was no help side defense

Which was different when our guards blew by Carter and Williams and Hillsman or Howard always seemed to be there to challenge the shot.

My agreement that it seems that some players are allowed to make mistake after mistake and never see the bench because of their poor performance yet others do and I believe that to be true.

Also how the 2 quick fouls and sit rule apply to some and not to others and folks response are always well Holly "trust" her seniors not to foul

And I stated if that is the case than her father is validated for stating he felt Holly doesn't "trust" his daughter and how Holly not trusting her he felt has his daughter second guessing how to play the game.

So whether or not whomever feels my actions were wrong I could care less.

I was always raised to express how you feel and not to do what everyone else is doing.

I can support his stance and still have love for Holly (staff), the Lady Vols, and it's fanbase.

The issue on here as well as in a lot of the groups seems to be if folk don't side with the "cult" (everyone else/popular opinion) then they are trolling or wrong. I'll accept that and will always state my opinion whether it's liked or not. I can either be removed from this platform, ignored, or removed from the others.

Last edited:
Come on. It’s a great win, but let’s not pretend SC is anywhere near a championship team without Wilson. Likely a very different result if she plays.
They may or not been able to win with her. Missouri beat them handily with Wilson playing the entire game. I suspect at home with her it would have been a 50/50 game depending on how she played. I remember that last years team won there with her in the lineup. So we beat them the year they were National Champs with everyone they had last season. We definitely have the team to play with them even if Wilson is playing.

Anytime we score 86 points on 55 shots we'll more than likely win the game depending on how many shots the opposition gets and our turnovers. What kept it this close was our 18 turnovers and allowing them plus 9 more shot attempts. We made most of that up with a 28 to 23 free throw advantage. If we even out the turnovers they only had 10 and us 18 this is a 20 point win.
My view is I think SC is down some this season even with Wilson. I don't think their supporting cast is near as good as what they had last season. I think they may lose four of five conference games this season.

As you have responded before SMDH. But then of course you see nothing wrong wit you being duplicit. Did EW's people go off they way they talked about that poor child!? Of course I too should be entitled to my opinion. Seems to me you were encouraging a rift in "your"/our beloved team.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back