Star Wars: Episode VIII (December 15, 2017)

Gonna see it Tuesday..then eat dinner at Twin Peaks. I'm still hoping its a win/win sort of day.

Seriously, it’s not worth your time

You were right. Movie sucked so freaking much. There was too many WTF moments to mention.

My biggest gripe of the whole movie isn’t the holes in Rey’s and Snoke’s storylines, although they’re huge and handled in a way that would make a one armed blind man with Parkinson’s seem dexterous, or Luke getting tossed aside for no reason, my biggest gripe is Leia, who’s never been a force user in any real sense getting blasted out into space then waking up from being dead and suddenly being able to use to the force to fly around like freaking Mary Poppins. Seriously what the literal ****!!! /End rant.

Theres a couple of cool scenes like the end scene with the kid. And the scene with Snokes ship. That’s about it.

Last edited:
The First Order has enough resources to have nearly a dozen Battlecruiser-size ships, a dreadnought, and a mobile factory space station, but can't manage to make just a few picket corvettes and gravity well projector ships? The lack of FO Tie swarms bothers me, as well. It's as if there's only three or four fighter wings spread across the entire FO fleet!

Reactions: 1 person
The First Order has enough resources to have nearly a dozen Battlecruiser-size ships, a dreadnought, and a mobile factory space station, but can't manage to make just a few picket corvettes and gravity well projector ships? The lack of FO Tie swarms bothers me, as well. It's as if there's only three or four fighter wings spread across the entire FO fleet!
The First Order ships dont tend to use fighter swarms like the Empire did as part of the Tarkin Doctrine . I think all of their Ties have shields, I know the SF versions do.

You were right. Movie sucked so freaking much. There was too many WTF moments to mention.

My biggest gripe of the whole movie isn’t the holes in Rey’s and Snoke’s storylines, although they’re huge and handled in a way that would make a one armed blind man with Parkinson’s seem dexterous, or Luke getting tossed aside for no reason, my biggest gripe is Leia, who’s never been a force user in any real sense getting blasted out into space then waking up from being dead and suddenly being able to use to the force to fly around like freaking Mary Poppins. Seriously what the literal ****!!! /End rant.

Theres a couple of cool scenes like the end scene with the kid. And the scene with Snokes ship. That’s about it.
That atmosphere in the theater was wild during that scene with the Supremacy. Its a visually stunning scene and it made for a neat vibe in the crowd.

You’re spoiler is correct. That was my #1 issue

I also didn’t like all the political commentary throughout.

Yup. And since it’s really not a spoiler. WTF was up with milking a female alien and drinking blue milk?

The First Order ships dont tend to use fighter swarms like the Empire did as part of the Tarkin Doctrine . I think all of their Ties have shields, I know the SF versions do.

Wookiepedia says each Resurgent carries two fighter wings each (I also don't understand why the Battle-cruisers were so far away from the dread). The FO, like the captain said, should have had their fighters out. I guess the FO didn't learn anything about the Rebellion/Resistance in the 34 years after the OT.

I also understand that the dread probably didn't have much room for fighters, but its AA capabilities are laughable for a ship of such stature. Very poor design as well, having them stand ten meters off the main hull un-shielded.

Some of my gripes that I would consider kinda minor but still bothersome:

1) The whole gambling/horse racing (or whatever those creatures were) sequence was the first thing from the new movies that really reminded me of the prequels. It was almost all CGI, bad kids actors, and the whole thing reminded me way too much of The Phantom Menance. Also the new Asian female character.....not good. She's was pretty terrible and felt like she'd be more at home in the prequels with that terrible acting. And the quickie forced romance...eye roll.

2) WTF was up with making Benicio Del Toro's character talk like The Waterboy? Why make him like that? It was so cringey to watch a good actor be reduced to that.

3) General Bad Buy Ginger's exposition was again...prequel levels of bad. Why the hell are you just announcing the bad guy plans randomly to everyone on your ship? Yeah I know, you're doing the lazy thing directors do to let the audience know what's going on but A) the plot is pretty basic; we get it, you don't have to spell it out that you want to destroy the Rebels and B) I'm pretty sure all your co-workers already know you want to destroy the Rebels. So bad.

Yup. And since it’s really not a spoiler. WTF was up with milking a female alien and drinking blue milk?

Exactly. Why even have that in there? Was it supposed to be a nod to the blue milk of Tatooine to get old Star Wars fans to sorta buy in??

Some of my gripes that I would consider kinda minor but still bothersome:

1) The whole gambling/horse racing (or whatever those creatures were) sequence was the first thing from the new movies that really reminded me of the prequels. It was almost all CGI, bad kids actors, and the whole thing reminded me way too much of The Phantom Menance. Also the new Asian female character.....not good. She's was pretty terrible and felt like she'd be more at home in the prequels with that terrible acting. And the quickie forced romance...eye roll.

2) WTF was up with making Benicio Del Toro's character talk like The Waterboy? Why make him like that? It was so cringey to watch a good actor be reduced to that.

3) General Bad Buy Ginger's exposition was again...prequel levels of bad. Why the hell are you just announcing the bad guy plans randomly to everyone on your ship? Yeah I know, you're doing the lazy thing directors do to let the audience know what's going on but A) the plot is pretty basic; we get it, you don't have to spell it out that you want to destroy the Rebels and B) I'm pretty sure all your co-workers already know you want to destroy the Rebels. So bad.

Don’t get me started on how bad that new character is

Exactly. Why even have that in there? Was it supposed to be a nod to the blue milk of Tatooine to get old Star Wars fans to sorta buy in??

I always thought it the milk was blue in the original because of the container it was in.

I laughed when Luke took a swig of it like he's some tough guy; like was that supposed to intimidate Rey?

I always thought it the milk was blue in the original because of the container it was in.

I laughed when Luke took a swig of it like he's some tough guy; like was that supposed to intimidate Rey?

i thought he was trying to show rey how much he didnt care anymore and make her think her being there to save a crazy old man was pointless. I have a lot of complaints about major plot points in these two movies so little scenes like that dont bother me as much i guess.

Saw it last night. I thought it was a letdown overall. Had some good moments but there was too much bad for the movie to overcome IMO.

I started a spoiler thread but for those still just wanting non spoiler opinions here is my quick take.

I liked it.

It’s not the best SW movie but it is far from the worst. I liked it better than TFA but not as much as Rogue One. I really don’t get the whole “Disney killed Star Wars” meme.

It does have some call backs to previous films but I think it does it in a much more organic way than how TFA did it. This is not an ESB redux either. I think it went in some interesting directions story wise. In fact it almost felt like the end of a trilogy instead of the middle.

There is one major WTF moment that kinda took me out of the movie for a moment and it came rather early in movie. Some other moments that maybe weren’t great but may just be nitpicking.

Will probably be another week before I can see it, avoiding spoilers is going to be hard. The differing reviews have me intrigued. Not expecting much, going into it with expectations to grab a bag of popcorn and mindlessly watch a galaxy far far away a long time ago.

I saw it today. There were some good parts and some face palm moments. Overall it was okay, but I wasn’t blown away.

I watched it for the second time today. The second viewing was definitely better and more enjoyable for me. Sure I still have my gripes with it but it’s not as bad as I and others make it out to be. It’s going to be interesting to see how time treats TLJ.

4.5/5

I'm not a big a Star Wars fan (I'm not up on all the mythos) but I really enjoyed it. Some great scenes with Hamil & Fisher.

Some fun moments as well the scene with Chewy trying to eat dinner was hilarious.

VN Store

Back