Making the case for Mike Leach

I'd take Leach over Miles any day of the week. Miles' day has come and gone and remember he pretty much failed at one of the most talent rich areas in the country. Leach does more with less and you can without a doubt say the opposite of Miles. Sure Miles won a NC but with Saban's players and has went downhill ever since. He failed miserably at QB improvement as was proven in his last few years at LSU. HIRE LEACH and forget about Miles and Tee. Leach can give us the quick fix and growth of the program if allowed to coach his own game. The man is a very good coach.

Reactions: 8 people
I'd take Leach over Miles any day of the week. Miles' day has come and gone and remember he pretty much failed at one of the most talent rich areas in the country. Leach does more with less and you can without a doubt say the opposite of Miles. Sure Miles won a NC but with Saban's players and has went downhill ever since. He failed miserably at QB improvement as was proven in his last few years at LSU. HIRE LEACH and forget about Miles and Tee. Leach can give us the quick fix and growth of the program if allowed to coach his own game. The man is a very good coach.

Exactly......I agree 100%

Reactions: 3 people
Leach is 0-5 vs Chris Petersen... I don’t think he would do well against other good SEC coaches. I think Chris Petersen is who we should throw the bank at. He has a 129-28 record. All he does is win.

If we at least dont talk to him we're incompetent. Forgetting all of his best friends and cousins on here who "know" for a fact that he will not leave Washington because of the myriad of reasons we've heard. I'd like us to at least hear it from him after we've thrown the bank at him.

Reactions: 1 person
What you thinking Phil--you going on the cheap? Les Miles? Gotta be chittimg me!

Why don't you go get Mike Leach?

And have you even talked to Sexton about Kiffin?

Those are the only two who can give both immediate and long term relief!

You were not brought on board to hire Les Miles.

I do know that much!

This is pretty interesting article. If we don’t try and hire someone who can beat top 25 teams consistently what are we doing. Why is everyone willing to settle for mediocrity. It is mind boggling.

Chris Petersen would be an amazing hire he is .500 against top 25 teams with Boise State and Washington recruits. Just imagine what he could do in the SEC. if we don’t try to hire the best we will never be the best. Leach is a good coach but you saw what Chris Petersen’s team did to him the other night with a lower ranked team.

Which college football head coaches are best & worst vs. Top 25 teams?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Les Miles could not touch Mike Leach in a football contest , one on one. Leach's teams would beat Miles 9 out of 10 games. JMO

Yaaaar

pirate_by_raynnergil-d7hmukg.jpg

I believe we are falling for more group think that Tee is not ready to be HC. I think he could get the job done. But, the real question is-does Tee want to come back? His wife has a career and wants to be in LA. I would support Leach or whoever is but I believe Tee would be a great choice.

I believe we are falling for more group think that Tee is not ready to be HC. I think he could get the job done. But, the real question is-does Tee want to come back? His wife has a career and wants to be in LA. I would support Leach or whoever is but I believe Tee would be a great choice.

We’re not even sure if it’s Tee calling the plays at USC or not. He interviewed at Georgia southern and didn’t get the job. Yet, we want to hire him...

We might as well get depressed now, because Phil already made the bonehead decision. What did we really expect from the Great Pumpkin?

Excellent write up OP

There may be a few better coaches, the chances of getting a Shaw or Peterson are slim and none. If they are interested you jump at it. Otherwise Leach gives us a chance to turn the mess Butch left us around on dime. We need to get healthy, in football shape, and rebuild the Oline (getting Mays helps with that) and Leach will have us competitive again. A mediocre or inexperienced coach has us struggling to get to .500

If Fulmer makes a home run hire, he will be a hero for a second time

I would be happy with Leach and an elite DC

His current DC has Washington St's defense ranked in the top #15 in the country!

They beat USC, Stanford and Oregon this season. The guy can flat out coach and imagine what he could do with top 10 recruiting classes.

WSU recruiting class rankings & record:
2012 (59) Record 3-9 Conf. 1-8
2013 (45) Record 6-7 Conf. 4-5
2014 (47) Record 3-9 Conf. 2-7
2015 (43) Record 9-4 Conf. 6-3
2016 (61) Record 8-5 Conf. 7-2
2017 (48) Record 9-3 Conf. 6-3

Hire the man!

There are several compelling reasons for Fulmer to not overlook Mike Leach as a candidate. While selecting Leach might seem like going for it on 4th and inches on your side of the field, fortune favors the bold.

1) Leach is a program builder/improver. He took over a decent Texas Tech program that had gone 62-53 (.539) the previous 10 years. Leach went 84-43 (.661) in his ten years. Tellingly, Tuberville and Kliff K haven't maintained that level, going 51-49 (.510) in 8 years following Leach. At Washington State, Leach took over a program that was abysmal 20-53 (.274) the 6 years prior to his arrival (and 9-40 .184 the last four years prior to his arrival). A complete rebuild job. He's 38-37 (.507), including 26-12 (.684) his last three years. It's hard to argue that Texas Tech is a program that should ever be better than middle of pack in the Big 12. It's even harder to argue that Washington State isn't the Vandy of the Pac 12. Leach outperformed at these two schools. His rebuild job at WSU is at least as impressive as James Franklin's job at Vandy.

2) Leach wins despite coaching at crappy schools with little talent. Leach's recruiting classes were usually ranked in the 30s or 40s at Texas Tech. Sometimes worse. His best class was ranked 25th. So he can't recruit? Maybe, but his successors have yielded similar classes, with only Tuberville having a 19th rated class that was better. His WSU classes have been rated in the 40s and 50s. But again, nobody is going to draw top 10 classes to central Washington to play in a 35,000 seat stadium with crappy support facilities...

3) ... but UT recruits itself. Fulmer drew multiple #1 classes and routinely had top 5 and 10 classes, even when he was on the hot seat. Majors recruited well. Kiffin had a top 10 class. Dooley was able to land classes ranked 7, 14, and 19th despite being on the hot seat, blowing off recruiting, being a jerk to high school coaches, and having a crappy record. Butch had classes ranked 25, 7, 4, 14, 17, and was on pace to have a top 10 class even with this recent nightmare of a season. Leach is unproven as a recruiter, but UT isn't. Worst case scenario is that Leach will stack top 15 classes. But it could be a lot better with on field success. UT doesn't need a recruiter like Tee necessarily. It needs someone who can win with that talent.

4) Leach usually beats teams/ coaches with similar talent. His record isn't without blemishes (he lost to Portland St, wtf?), but it's consistently good. He was 1-1 against Gary Patterson, 4-1 against Bill Snyder during KState's heyday, 3-1 against Les Miles at Oklahoma State, 2-3 against the Mullet, 1-0 against Lane Kiffin at USC. While he's only 2-4 against David Shaw, he's won the last 2.

5) Leach ain't afraid of the big boys either. While he holds 3-7 records and 2-8 against Texas, you need to keep in mind that this was in the 2000s. Both of those programs were top 5 for most of the decade. That he beat Mack Brown and Bob Stoops 5 times is remarkable considering the talent disparity. 2-1 vs USC, 3-3 Oregon, 4-2 Nebraska, 7-3 Texas A&M, etc. He has big game pirate swagger, upsetting top 5 teams several times (#4 Texas, #4 Cal, #3 Oklahoma, #1 Texas, and #5 USC).

6) He's 10-9 against current SEC teams. Gary Patterson is 3-4 against SEC teams by comparison. Not bad considering the talent. And, yes, his offenses work in the SEC.

7) He has an actual coaching tree. Leach is co-credited with bringing the Air Raid to college football. His assistant coaches have spread it well. Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma, Art Briles at Baylor, Kliff Kingsbury at Texas Tech, Dana Holgorsen at West Virginia. Compare that to Fulmer who has zero coaching tree (Cutcliffe is usually credited to Majors, leaving, as a stretch, Doug Marronne?). Having a coaching tree can have benefits of succession, and also raises the profile of a program.

8) Leach is a cultural fit at UT. The more videos I watch of the Pirate, the more obvious it is that his "quirky" personality is actually a good fit for East Tennessee. We are the scruffy city, we are a politically incorrect town. Leach is scruffy and politically incorrect. Texas loved him. Washington State loves him. West Texas and central Washington are not that dissimilar to East Tennessee culturally. Would Leach fit in at Boston College? Ummm no! No way! At UT? Yes!

9) There are better coaches available, but... Chris Petersen isn't leaving Washington. The potential sexiness of Gruden will not happen. Even if you think Patterson is better, he's a perfect fit at TCU and has a statue...not happening. Fuente *might* be better and is younger. Will he leave Tech? Kiffin is not a better option or coach and is not going to happen. Bellichick, Carroll, and Tomlin aren't saving us. Miles has a better resume, but if you search your heart, you know he's not a home run hire at 64.

10) Mike Leach wants this! He practically signed with Currie before Fulmer pulled the plug. He has a chip on his shoulder in that he wants to prove that he is an elite coach, and that his system works in the SEC. He will back down from no one, including Saban. He would scare the hell out of a lot of our rivals. He's not just chasing a paycheck.

I really hope that Fulmer things big and outside the box. If he views this search looking for candidates that remind him of himself or chases nostalgia, I think we will miss out on a great coach at a great time who just needs a school that isn't a toilet bowl program. Hire the pirate, Phil!

You just made the case why Fulmer should hire Leach, the pirate, and why he would go toe to toe with Saban, Smart, Jimbo Fisher, Mullen and yes even Lane Kiffin. If TN is truly sincere about wanting TN back on top then Leach is Our coach. All the others that have been talked about don't even come close. Fulmer has to be BOLD! Remember, these coaches you have to play against. Leach is the only one that can beat 2 or 3 or more of these coaches. Why? Leach is unpredictable. He is a chess master. When you think you have him Leach will jump up and say CHECKMATE! Game over. He would be the talk of the town as well as the football community. He may come across a little odd, and that's what the other coaches worry about, and his nickname the pirate is very appealing to recruits. He is a solid pick and TN will never regret it but allow Leach to pick his own OC and DC. It's ridiculous to hold a coach accountable on their win-loss record per year but don't allow him to pick his staff. Change in TN is much needed. The old way of during business on the field must change if TN is to be successful. Remember, Fulmer you own the program and the future of TN football. It will be your legacy you leave behind and read why you must pick Mike Leach, the pirate.

VN Store

Back