Making the case for Mike Leach

JohnnyJava

Subversive iconoclast
There are several compelling reasons for Fulmer to not overlook Mike Leach as a candidate. While selecting Leach might seem like going for it on 4th and inches on your side of the field, fortune favors the bold.

1) Leach is a program builder/improver. He took over a decent Texas Tech program that had gone 62-53 (.539) the previous 10 years. Leach went 84-43 (.661) in his ten years. Tellingly, Tuberville and Kliff K haven't maintained that level, going 51-49 (.510) in 8 years following Leach. At Washington State, Leach took over a program that was abysmal 20-53 (.274) the 6 years prior to his arrival (and 9-40 .184 the last four years prior to his arrival). A complete rebuild job. He's 38-37 (.507), including 26-12 (.684) his last three years. It's hard to argue that Texas Tech is a program that should ever be better than middle of pack in the Big 12. It's even harder to argue that Washington State isn't the Vandy of the Pac 12. Leach outperformed at these two schools. His rebuild job at WSU is at least as impressive as James Franklin's job at Vandy.

2) Leach wins despite coaching at crappy schools with little talent. Leach's recruiting classes were usually ranked in the 30s or 40s at Texas Tech. Sometimes worse. His best class was ranked 25th. So he can't recruit? Maybe, but his successors have yielded similar classes, with only Tuberville having a 19th rated class that was better. His WSU classes have been rated in the 40s and 50s. But again, nobody is going to draw top 10 classes to central Washington to play in a 35,000 seat stadium with crappy support facilities...

3) ... but UT recruits itself. Fulmer drew multiple #1 classes and routinely had top 5 and 10 classes, even when he was on the hot seat. Majors recruited well. Kiffin had a top 10 class. Dooley was able to land classes ranked 7, 14, and 19th despite being on the hot seat, blowing off recruiting, being a jerk to high school coaches, and having a crappy record. Butch had classes ranked 25, 7, 4, 14, 17, and was on pace to have a top 10 class even with this recent nightmare of a season. Leach is unproven as a recruiter, but UT isn't. Worst case scenario is that Leach will stack top 15 classes. But it could be a lot better with on field success. UT doesn't need a recruiter like Tee necessarily. It needs someone who can win with that talent.

4) Leach usually beats teams/ coaches with similar talent. His record isn't without blemishes (he lost to Portland St, wtf?), but it's consistently good. He was 1-1 against Gary Patterson, 4-1 against Bill Snyder during KState's heyday, 3-1 against Les Miles at Oklahoma State, 2-3 against the Mullet, 1-0 against Lane Kiffin at USC. While he's only 2-4 against David Shaw, he's won the last 2.

5) Leach ain't afraid of the big boys either. While he holds 3-7 records and 2-8 against Texas, you need to keep in mind that this was in the 2000s. Both of those programs were top 5 for most of the decade. That he beat Mack Brown and Bob Stoops 5 times is remarkable considering the talent disparity. 2-1 vs USC, 3-3 Oregon, 4-2 Nebraska, 7-3 Texas A&M, etc. He has big game pirate swagger, upsetting top 5 teams several times (#4 Texas, #4 Cal, #3 Oklahoma, #1 Texas, and #5 USC).

6) He's 10-9 against current SEC teams. Gary Patterson is 3-4 against SEC teams by comparison. Not bad considering the talent. And, yes, his offenses work in the SEC.

7) He has an actual coaching tree. Leach is co-credited with bringing the Air Raid to college football. His assistant coaches have spread it well. Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma, Art Briles at Baylor, Kliff Kingsbury at Texas Tech, Dana Holgorsen at West Virginia. Compare that to Fulmer who has zero coaching tree (Cutcliffe is usually credited to Majors, leaving, as a stretch, Doug Marronne?). Having a coaching tree can have benefits of succession, and also raises the profile of a program.

8) Leach is a cultural fit at UT. The more videos I watch of the Pirate, the more obvious it is that his "quirky" personality is actually a good fit for East Tennessee. We are the scruffy city, we are a politically incorrect town. Leach is scruffy and politically incorrect. Texas loved him. Washington State loves him. West Texas and central Washington are not that dissimilar to East Tennessee culturally. Would Leach fit in at Boston College? Ummm no! No way! At UT? Yes!

9) There are better coaches available, but... Chris Petersen isn't leaving Washington. The potential sexiness of Gruden will not happen. Even if you think Patterson is better, he's a perfect fit at TCU and has a statue...not happening. Fuente *might* be better and is younger. Will he leave Tech? Kiffin is not a better option or coach and is not going to happen. Bellichick, Carroll, and Tomlin aren't saving us. Miles has a better resume, but if you search your heart, you know he's not a home run hire at 64.

10) Mike Leach wants this! He practically signed with Currie before Fulmer pulled the plug. He has a chip on his shoulder in that he wants to prove that he is an elite coach, and that his system works in the SEC. He will back down from no one, including Saban. He would scare the hell out of a lot of our rivals. He's not just chasing a paycheck.

I really hope that Fulmer things big and outside the box. If he views this search looking for candidates that remind him of himself or chases nostalgia, I think we will miss out on a great coach at a great time who just needs a school that isn't a toilet bowl program. Hire the pirate, Phil!

Last edited:
Reactions: 33 people
I relate to Leach personally on multiple levels and he's been one of my favorites for a long time, but I think it' unfair to put myself in a posture of 'this is the best guy and if it's not him I'm gonna pick my pitchfork back up and set some mattresses on fire.'

Reactions: 2 people
I agree with all you said.

However, Phil is too dated to even consider your point of view. He has seen what happened when UT looked outside for a coach. Kiffin, Dooley, and Butch are proof in his mind that going outside the line of succession is guaranteed failure.

Tee will be the next coach (because Peyton wouldn't) and will be under the thumb of Phil's influence to the point of castration.

I wish I was wrong about our future but I have not been since Phil's last year of coaching.

Reactions: 5 people
I would be happy with Leach and an elite DC

Leach would be a solid hire and a quick fix with the right DC. Problem is that I'm not looking for a quick fix. I want a guy who we can hire and depend on to grow this program and be a fixture here for the next decade or more. My taste for coaching changes went south when we rolled Dooley in here and it's grown even more unpleasant over the years to the point of making me want to wretch with this latest debacle. Pretty clear we aren't a destination job anymore. We are a job that's seen as having low patience, high expectation and high volatility. Not many coaches want that sort of environment. I want to find out Scott Frost, our Patterson,etc....a guy who will lay a foundation and build on it without worry that he's looking to jump at the next job opening with a higher offer. A guy who's going to see UT as a destination job and be at "home". This hired gun biz ain't for me.

Not going to be Leach but definitely a good choice. I don't think Fulmer will pick him mainly because of his personality type.

Imo recruiting doesn't matter much because u will almost never out recruit Florida or Georgia . We need a coach that can coach and that can be a diffence in a Tennessee 10th ranked class and a Georgia 2nd.

I would definitely take Leach. I don't want Miles and I'm not ready to gamble on Tee Martin just yet (had Tee pulled a Scott Frost and proven himself then hand the keys over, but he played it safe and just sat at USC, maybe he'll takeover UCF now...).

Reactions: 1 person
Excellent sumation on Leach. I agree with you that he could turn Tennessee around in 3-4 years. I don't think Fulmer will hire him because Leach at times has been heard to use unacceptable language and he wants a better role model for our players. JMO

Freudian Slip with Kiffin at Washington State?

"At Washington State, Kiffin took over a program that was abysmal 20-53 (.274) the 6 years prior to his arrival (and 9-40 .184 the last four years prior to his arrival)."

I get that:)

Excellent write up. I would be very happy with the pirate. He’s never had the talent and resources of an elite program. Give him the keys and get out of the way.

Make UT football fun again.

Go look at other teams message boards from the other night when most thought we were getting Leach. They weren’t happy.

The simplest answer is in deed in front of our faces. I have little doubt we would win more games under Mike Leach, or Kiffin than under Les/Tee combo_Our rivals would be laughing at us more if he hires Les, whereas they feared Leach. I do worry about Leach recruiting here. But no more than I worry about Les being too old or USC not letting Tee call plays on third down. Leach was not approved by whichever Power brokers are approving this hire. They want control, just like Haslam does. New boss same as old boss.

The simplest answer is in deed in front of our faces. I have little doubt we would win more games under Mike Leach, or Kiffin than under Les/Tee combo_Our rivals would be laughing at us more if he hires Les, whereas they feared Leach. I do worry about Leach recruiting here. But no more than I worry about Les being too old or USC not letting Tee call plays on third down. Leach was not approved by whichever Power brokers are approving this hire. They want control, just like Haslam does. New boss same as old boss.

We won’t get fooled again?

Leach is 0-5 vs Chris Petersen... I don’t think he would do well against other good SEC coaches. I think Chris Petersen is who we should throw the bank at. He has a 129-28 record. All he does is win.

I am sure Phil has been told who he can talk too and who he cannot . Yall all know it will not be his decision solely. However, personally I would love to see Leach. You never know what play he is going to run next and he is absolutely not predictable. He has been a WINNER everywhere he has been. Bring him to Tennessee !!!! LOL ......They (the powers that be) will never consider a good coach. They want one they can control and agreeable with the big money guys.

How many players has Leech put in the NFL?
Also, his system does not favor running backs so what happens with Jk, CF , TC and TJ?

Last edited:
How many players has Leech put in the NFL?
Also, his system does not favor running backs so what happens with Jk, CF , TV and TJ?

The running backs we have cannot do anything because we do not have an offensive line. They need to get in space and we throw the ball to them. That is why we are winlessin the SEC this past year. We could not get our running backs into space, where they excel . When we ran bubble screens and passed to the running back coming out of the backfield we gained yardage. No, we never had a hole in the offensive line to run through but Buch Jones did not have enough sense to see that.

Agree on Leach could/would be a good/great coach here; will not be selected because choosing him would validate a Currie Candidate and make him look more competent in doing so.... thus, putting a question mark on his suspension and eventual firing.

Argument for Currie's lawyer to obtain Settlement....and buyout....

VN Store

Back