Official Jon Gruden Thread XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weren’t the initial Grumors saying that Gruden specifically wanted Tee?
I suspect to share coaching responsibilities but also because of his recruiting prowess.
I think the relationship would be mutually beneficial.
As Phil coached tee and they have a good preexisting relationship, wouldn’t it make sense that Jon might want Phil to break the ice?

Maybe so, and I hope that is the case...

Hold on, hold on...is this under the assumption that it was done at the request of a certain HC candidate? If not, I do not like that process. The future HC should have the most influence on the assistant coaches/coordinators selection, not the AD. The AD should be in the role of supporting the hire or questioning the hire, not actually picking the candidate. While I know that does not always happen, it is how it should happen. If not, that means the HC has no control and will be a puppet of the AD. That is not what we need. I am not saying that is happening, or going to happen, just wondering if this did indeed take place, it points to one of two options, 1) we have our coach, or 2) Fulmer is already micromanaging this effort. I hope it is the former.

Fulmer is not micromanaging, I don't believe. He has past relationships with many possible candidates, and his contact is nothing more than determining interest.

I trust Fulmer's judgment, but understand why there are questions. Afterall, the last week has taught us nothing is impossible.

Not from my usual guys but two different people Gruden 1 and miles 2.

I don’t doubt Gruden is the target. My concerns are more about:

a) is he still on board?
b) are we going to make sure to get this done and make it official before some people force Miles and Tee on us?

This. ****. Must. Be. Public. Until then, people will continue to advocate some terrible decisions.

Weren’t the initial Grumors saying that Gruden specifically wanted Tee?
I suspect to share coaching responsibilities but also because of his recruiting prowess.
I think the relationship would be mutually beneficial.
As Phil coached tee and they have a good preexisting relationship, wouldn’t it make sense that Jon might want Phil to break the ice?

I do believe that info came out, I believe from info that was shared by one of our insiders, Tee's recruiting ability would lessen that burden on Gruden because that was one of Gruden's concerns - he didn't want to be out on the road every night

SIAP posted but I assume everyone saw the hit job on Fulmer this morning in the KNS. We clearly see Adam's has been bought by Haslam.

I don’t think Adams ever wrote a kind word about Fulmer when he was HC. I’m sure John’s happy to have him back. Writing constantly snarky, negative drivel is his forte, and Fulmer has always been his favorite subject.

Reactions: 6 people
I don’t doubt Gruden is the target. My concerns are more about:

a) is he still on board?
b) are we going to make sure to get this done and make it official before some people force Miles and Tee on us?

This. ****. Must. Be. Public. Until then, people will continue to advocate some terrible decisions.

Both would be solid. Gruden hasn't said no. But expect something soon.

Reactions: 3 people
He has never taken TN out of his shortlist..

Depends on your definition of shortlist. He did remove UT from his top list.

I am sure Coach Fulmer and any new coach will get an answer from Cade when they reach out to him. For those who don't know Cade, he is quite confident in his football abilities. Some might mistake that for arrogance. I would probably be intolerable if I was one of the top ranked players in the country and have had every major school kissing my butt for 3-4 years. He has been recruiting hard for TN these last couple of years and he deserves our support while he sees what happens here. I would hate to see him at GA.

Reactions: 1 person
Both would be solid. Gruden hasn't said no. But expect something soon.

I can absolutely see us thinking we are about to hire Gruden on Tuesday only to find Miles at the podium on Monday. And I don’t think it would work out.

Soon, “not a no” had to become a “yes.”

Hold on, hold on...is this under the assumption that it was done at the request of a certain HC candidate? If not, I do not like that process. The future HC should have the most influence on the assistant coaches/coordinators selection, not the AD. The AD should be in the role of supporting the hire or questioning the hire, not actually picking the candidate. While I know that does not always happen, it is how it should happen. If not, that means the HC has no control and will be a puppet of the AD. That is not what we need. I am not saying that is happening, or going to happen, just wondering if this did indeed take place, it points to one of two options, 1) we have our coach, or 2) Fulmer is already micromanaging this effort. I hope it is the former.

Well, there was a certain canidate who did already tag him for OC...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Having Tee on board regardless/irregardless/leotardless of the HC will be a huge boost to recruiting. His newly acquired knowledge and name recognition on the west coast will be very valuable.

Reactions: 3 people
Depends on your definition of shortlist. He did remove UT from his top list.

I am sure Coach Fulmer and any new coach will get an answer from Cade when they reach out to him. For those who don't know Cade, he is quite confident in his football abilities. Some might mistake that for arrogance. I would probably be intolerable if I was one of the top ranked players in the country and have had every major school kissing my butt for 3-4 years. He has been recruiting hard for TN these last couple of years and he deserves our support while he sees what happens here. I would hate to see him at GA.

Saw him in the championship game Friday night ... he's the real deal.

[Edit] and yes, I'd hate to see him at GA too !

I don’t think Adams ever wrote a kind word about Fulmer when he was HC. I’m sure John’s happy to have him back. Writing constantly snarky, negative drivel is his forte, and Fulmer has always been his favorite subject.

Here's a cute line from that hack re: HIS question on why Currie wasn't allowed to hire 'one of the country's best coaches, Leach' (paraphrased) @ the announcement:

"She also refused to answer relevant questions"...

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back