Timeline from Currie (per recruit)

“I asked (John Currie) if I can expect to see this new coach, get to talk to him and get a feel before I go in and sign with this school and he said most certainly,” Martinez said. “He actually said, ‘If there’s not a new head football coach by December 20th then there will be a new AD in town.’ So I’m confident the job will get done and done as quickly as it can.”

well........let the games begin.

Reactions: 6 people
UCF finishes the season on November 24. I am not sure Scott Frost would skip out on the bowl game, but he could accept our offer and still coach their bowl game.

Reactions: 2 people
I think we will have a new coach in place around SEC Championship weekend. That will also give the new coach and his staff a couple weeks before early NSD.

Reactions: 4 people
Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
Very calculated on Currie's part. He knew Martinez would put that out there for him. In my opinion, and if what Currie told pappa Martinez is accurate ("days"), this would seem to put pressure on Florida if we are in a bidding war for Chip Kelly.

John Currie: Adrian, I'd like you to meet your new Head Coach.

John Gruden: Hi Adrian, I'm Coach Gruden. Welcome to VolNation. Let's go kick some SEC @$$.

Adrian Martinez: This is off 'da chain...where do I sign?
Off da chain.. that’s so 5-10 years ago..lol

Reactions: 7 people
UCF finishes the season on November 24. I am not sure Scott Frost would skip out on the bowl game, but he could accept our offer and still coach their bowl game.

Personally I think there should be an NCAA rule in place that says coaches can't do this. To bail on your team just prior to playing in what is supposed to be the reward for a hard fought season I think that is a HUGE disservice to those kids! Coaches should be made to stay with their current team until their season is truly over.

Reactions: 4 people
Personally I think there should be an NCAA rule in place that says coaches can't do this. To bail on your team just prior to playing in what is supposed to be the reward for a hard fought season I think that is a HUGE disservice to those kids! Coaches should be made to stay with their current team until their season is truly over.

it's a negotiating point. if the program doing the hiring wants that coach bad enough, then they opt to let him exit the way he wants to exit. if the coach wants the program bad enough, he shows up for work when they say so.

and a lot depends on the bowl, and it's overall, or relative, importance to a given school's season. i.e. conf title games, championship or play off games etc...

Reactions: 1 person
I think Curries list is;

1. Frost
2. Mullen

i doubt it's that short, and i feel confident that the overtures thrown in Gruden's direction are true. how reciprocated they are...that's another story. and i'm sure there's at least been some vetting on Chip Kelly.

Going to be one of the more interesting recruiting cycles around here in awhile for sure.

I think we may have already seen the worst of the defections. Get a name that recruits can be interested in and they may salvage the class to an extent.

Sounds like Currie is saying the right things at least.

Kiffin's class seemed like it was pretty much a given to fall apart.

Dooley didn't bother recruiting for his last season so it was a foregone conclusion it would be bad too.

I agree with the sentiment, but not the practicality. Coaching jobs open after the season, with primarily teams not in bowl games doing the hiring from teams with coaches in bowl games. The winners aren't hiring the losing coaches normally, as much as our program tries to buck that trend (see Dooley, Derek). Signing period is right before and right after Bowl Games, which all start at different times. Coaches running one team as the Head Coach, signed to go to another team is a far bigger conflict of interest problem than the effect it has on the kids.

You can't move the singing period effectively either. High School kids need to know where they are going to college by February at the latest.

Coaches leaving after the regular season to a new job while their team goes to a bowl game is the best of the available not great options.

My top 2 choices:

1. Chip Kelly

2. Gary Patterson (if we can't land Chip Kelly, we need a coach who can defend Chip Kelly)

I hear what you are saying. However with the recent trend of star players skipping the bowl game to avoid injury, less will be made of a coach skipping it to go to his new team. I personally think both are low class moves.

i doubt it's that short, and i feel confident that the overtures thrown in Gruden's direction are true. how reciprocated they are...that's another story. and i'm sure there's at least been some vetting on Chip Kelly.

My guess is that Gruden is top target with Frost as first alternate and then probably a tie between Kelly and Mullen. I think you were right though when we spoke about it, if Gruden is the man and let's say that the rumors are true and he's already agreed to come coach at UT. The best time to announce something like that is on Championship Saturday, because aside from the game recap, the discussion at half time of every single game is going to be that hire. We would own the news cycle that weekend when you have god knows how many 16-18 year old kids watching.

VN Store

Back