Give me your Top 3 canidates...

Now...understanding I'd place Les Miles about 6th or 7th on my list, I'm still confident he's a big time coach. Offense never has been a function of his coaching tenure. With proper qb development, I think some of those great WR recruits he could bring in would remove that stigma. Les, as have quite a number of coaches, has made some dubious choices as to coaches for his passing offenses. That's all. I've seen almighty Saban make some boo boos managing the clock and pulling out poor calls. It's all that talent that's bailed him out. Winning the SECw and a natty aren't flukes. As for Les's being too old: Apparently you're too young to wrap your mind around what you've not yet experienced. Hopefully you will...in time. Keep in mind that Bob Stoops isn't too old to have forgotten how to beat alabubba. Look at his record versus the bleeding tide.
Well I'm anything but young, so I guess I'm just too dumb, then. I conceded that age isn't ultimately a factor, but the other issues are. No reason for me to think Les would be much of an improvement over our current situation. I support firing Butch, this just isn't working. I'm just very concerned that we're gonna make another bad hire.

Reactions: 1 person
Well I'm anything but young, so I guess I'm just too dumb, then. I conceded that age isn't ultimately a factor, but the other issues are. No reason for me to think Les would be much of an improvement over our current situation. I support firing Butch, this just isn't working. I'm just very concerned that we're gonna make another bad hire.
And for the record, I'd much prefer Stoops over Les, but I don't think he wants to coach.

so you don't agree he's too old, what about lack of qb development and offensive production? What about horrible clock mgmt. and in-game decisions?

But he looked cool chewing on grass

He had a cool nickname "the mad hatter"

Not afraid to go for it and look dumb doing so

How could one not love Leslie Miles??

I have no idea how blue font on here works but if I did...

What statistics prove Miles would be a homerun hire? Why'd he get fired then? Because his offense/qb's sucked and he couldn't get out of his own way late in games. Sound like anyone?

Look at his record against ranked opponents and top 10 teams. He has a great reord in the West even with Saban there. He beat Saban some. He put more players in the NFL than Saban. He got fired because of a few bad hires.

You say his offense/QBs sucked? Ok so please list all of the terrible seasons he had at LSU with these suky things. Couldnt get out of his own way? Again, show your proof. Every coach has slip ups. Even Saban. Might there be a couple of games a year where he slips? Possibly. But so what? Are you telling me that as a Vol fan, you wouldnt be happy with 10+ wins a year, some East titles and at least being competitive for the SEC title? I know I would.

I loved Fulmer. But his days are long gone. He hasnt coached in almost a decade. Miles is still fresh. Miles k ows what it takes to win in the SEC. His record proves it.

Reactions: 6 people
I don't expect anyone to read, but I'm bored. Just my opinions on the names I've seen mentioned. In no order. Just the order I thought of them.

1. Jon Gruden- Not happening.
2. Chip Kelly- Not happening.
3. James Franklin- Not happening.
4. Jimbo Fisher- Not happening.
5. Chris Petersen- Not happening.
6. Gary Patterson- Current situation is too good to leave.
7. Justin Fuente- See Gary Patterson.
8. Dan Mullen- Might come, but is he worth the money it would cost?
9. Bobby Petrino- Doubt Currie takes that risk. Would come.
10. Les Miles- Would probably come if offered. Not sure Currie would go this route though.
11. Lane Kiffin- Proven nothing as a head coach. Risky. Would come.
12. Scott Frost- Would be a great hire. One of my top choices. Would listen.
13. Mike Norvell- Bright young coach. Good offensive mind and good with quarterbacks. Could be a good hire with the right defensive coordinator.Would come if offered.
14. Jeff Brohm- Good coach. Would probably come.
15. Mike Leach- Would hear Currie out. Could be a good hire. Would have better resources than ever before here.
16. Dave Doeren- Building up NC State. Would probably come.
17. Charlie Strong- Pretty good coach. Successful everywhere besides Texas where he was a bad fit. Would probably come.
18. Dino Babers- Good coach. Every team he has coached has improved each year he's been there. Would listen.
19. Tee Martin- Not ready. Would hear Currie out.
20. Jim Bob Cooter- Could be a good hire. Not sure how likely he is. Would hear Currie out.
21. D.J. Durkin- Good defensive mind. Hasn't proved enough as a head coach. Too risky. Would listen.
22. Scott Satterfield- Done well at smaller schools. Could be a good hire. Would probably come.
23. Brent Venables- Great defensive coach. Could be good hire with good offensive coordinator. May not want to be a head coach.
24. Frank Wilson- Haven't seen enough. Would probably come.
25. Chad Morris- Could be a good hire. Probably way down the list. Would probably come though.
26. Kyle Whittingham- Good coach. Can't see him leaving Utah, but I didn't think Bronco Mendenhall would leave BYU for the same reasons and was wrong.
27. Bryan Harsen- Good coach. Not sure if the fit is right.
28. Mike Gundy- Has it made at his alma mater. Won't leave.
29. David Shaw- See Mike Gundy.
30. Matt Campbell- Good young coach. Would listen. Probably far down the list.
31. Jason Candle- Will be a good coach in time.Would probably come. Not ready for this stage.
32. Greg Schiano- Had some success at Rutgers, and is a pretty good coordinator. Would probably come, but this isn't a job that just any coach can handle.
33. Major Applewhite- Bright young coach but inexperienced . Would probably come. Would bolt for Texas if they ever came calling.
34. David Cutcliffe- Very good coach. Don't want another search in a few years when he retires though.

I appreciate the work that you put into this and think it's worthy of its own thread/discussion.

I bolded the guys that I think would listen or be worth a shot. I bet we get Norvell. Also, could see Bill Clark.

I don't expect anyone to read, but I'm bored. Just my opinions on the names I've seen mentioned. In no order. Just the order I thought of them.

I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility on Petersen.

Money talks.

Why wouldn't we just hire Les Miles? We would keep our recruiting at a high level, he could probably make something good out of the spark it would add to both his career, and our program. Additionally, he used to give Florida fits.

We are not going to hire the Saban Killer. That coach does not exist in our pool of possible hires.

May as well hire someone to keep us at 9+ wins, with the occasional exciting win over Florida and/or Georgia. Then when Saban retires in 4 or so years, we can start getting our ducks in a row for our next great coach.

I appreciate the work that you put into this and think it's worthy of its own thread/discussion.

I bolded the guys that I think would listen or be worth a shot. I bet we get Norvell. Also, could see Bill Clark.

If we are going after options 12-16, which Norvell and Clark would be that far down, the fan base is gonna riot.

1. Jon Gruden- Not happening.
2. Chip Kelly- Not happening.
3. James Franklin- Not happening.
6. Gary Patterson- Current situation is too good to leave.
7. Justin Fuente- See Gary Patterson.
9. Bobby Petrino- Doubt Currie takes that risk. Would come.
10. Les Miles- Would probably come if offered. Not sure Currie would go this route though.
13. Mike Norvell- Bright young coach. Good offensive mind and good with quarterbacks. Could be a good hire with the right defensive coordinator.Would come if offered.
14. Mike Brohm- Good coach. Would probably come.
15. Mike Leach- Would hear Currie out. Could be a good hire. Would have better resources than ever before here.
17. Charlie Strong- Pretty good coach. Successful everywhere besides Texas where he was a bad fit. Would probably come.
18. Dino Babers- Good coach. Every team he has coached has improved each year he's been there. Would listen.
20. Jim Bob Cooter- Could be a good hire. Not sure how likely he is. Would hear Currie out.
21. D.J. Durkin- Good defensive mind. Hasn't proved enough as a head coach. Too risky. Would listen.
22. Scott Satterfield- Done well at smaller schools. Could be a good hire. Would probably come.
23. Brent Venables- Great defensive coach. Could be good hire with good offensive coordinator. May not want to be a head coach.
24. Frank Wilson- Haven't seen enough. Would probably come.
25. Chad Morris- Could be a good hire. Probably way down the list. Would probably come though.
26. Kyle Whittingham- Good coach. Can't see him leaving Utah, but I didn't think Bronco Mendenhall would leave BYU for the same reasons and was wrong.
27. Bryan Harsen- Good coach. Not sure if the fit is right.
28. Mike Gundy- Has it made at his alma mater. Won't leave.
29. David Shaw- See Mike Gundy.
30. Matt Campbell- Good young coach. Would listen. Probably far down the list.
31. Jason Candle- Will be a good coach in time.Would probably come. Not ready for this stage.
32. Greg Schiano- Had some success at Rutgers, and is a pretty good coordinator. Would probably come, but this isn't a job that just any coach can handle.
33. Major Applewhite- Bright young coach but inexperienced . Would probably come. Would bolt for Texas if they ever came calling.
34. David Cutcliffe- Very good coach. Don't want another search in a few years when he retires though.

This is a pretty good list. I agree that #1 through #6 wouldn't come. I think Fuente might because his salary isn't enormous, but he's in a really good situation at Virginia Tech. He can win 8-10 games/year there, which he's perfectly capable of doing and has been doing, and be fine. I think Mullen has it made in Starkville and isn't going anywhere. If he wanted to depart, he would have done it after Dak left.

I'm not sure Charlie Strong or Tee Martin would come. Tennessee is a too-Texas like environment that I don't think Strong wants to enter into again. If Strong hadn't already coached at a place like Texas, he probably would come. As far as Tee, I don't know if it is his wife's influence, or he doesn't get along with people in the administration, but he's supposedly had tons of chances to come back to UT and has turned them down. I'm not sure how much he actually wants to do with the University. Kind of sad considering he was the starting QB on a national title-winning team.

I wouldn't want Jim Bob Cooter or Schiano.

Overall, the "biggest name" coach Tennessee could get is probably Fuente.

We are not gonna take a chance on Les Miles. hes just as stubborn as our current coach. if something isnt working hes just gonna stick with it. thats what got him fired at LSU.

remember , firing Fulmer is what got us where we are today.

What’s bad is we’re discussing this with 50% who don’t remember seeing a CPF coached team. Too young or not even born yet. That’s what frustrating trying to have an experienced discussion here usually. It’s just the plain truth of the matter and took me a while to figure it out.

How so?

Interested in the reasoning, not to argue.

He has made his coaching career on the west coast, specifically the pacific northwest.

He just built Washington back into a contender, in a more manageable division.

There is no Nick Saban in the Pac12, there might not be a better coach than Petersen in that entire conference.

His rivals up there are Washington St and Oregon. His rivals here would be Alabama, Florida, and Georgia

Why would he leave a program that he just finished righting, when they are as close to a championship as he's ever been in his career, to come here and start the process all over again? In unfamiliar territory?

Also, he is the highest paid coach in the Pac12.

Last edited:
I think our new coach is on this list.

14. Mike Brohm- Good coach. Would probably come.
26. Peyton Manning

I’d take Fuente all day. But we would be stuck with the perpetual ‘he lost to butch’.

Money talks, but I just think it would take a lot of money to convince Petersen to come here. He already makes pretty good money at Washington and has spent most of his career out west. He's built Washington into a contender. They won the PAC 12 last year and made a playoff appearance, and they could do it again this season. It took years for someone to lure him out of Boise. I think it would take the perfect situation to lure him out of Washington. I'd love to have him though.

VN Store

Back