Daniel Hood says defense not a Sunseri year

All righty then. I'm not bailing. Period. For those who haven't recognized that there was no reason whatsoever to reveal to floorduh any...that's none ...zilch...nada...of Shoop's coverages or blitz schemes, or of Scott's formations or patterns or blocking schemes... well...wake up. Name me any HC who would when it's not at all necessary. Negas in 3..2..1.........

The offense, nor defense, have changed a damn thing.

Stop with this "hiding" from Florida nonsense.

Reactions: 3 people
Excellent article and he's absolutely right. Most of the criticisms of the defense are off-base.

Only 1 sack ... but our opponents ran the ball 122 times and passed 29. That's a 4-to-1 ratio. It doesn't make sense to do a lot of blitzing given that.

We gave up a lot of yards to GT ... but the floundering offense in the first half forced our D to defend against one of the toughest rushing attacks in the nation with little rest. It's worthwhile to note that we didn't actually give up that many points considering and points matter more than yards.

We had 4 1/2 days to prepare for Indiana State. It was a cupcake game we could've won with 3rd stringers. No reason for the defensive coaches to give away much in that game. And ISU's one scoring drive was the result of a turnover on offense moreso than poor defensive play.

The NegaVols are applying weird standards. Defense arguably gave up 0 points (since ISU's 7 came off a short field from a turnover), but it's a disaster because we lined up 1 yard off the ball?

We won't really know much about the defense until Florida.

I suspect we still need significant improvement in the run defense, but a GT game where the D was forced to be on the field for 96 plays against a tricky triple-option running attack isn't really a good measuring stick to see where we're at.

Hood has a good message for people continually being negative towards Butch.

"Instead of finding positives that we can talk about, like Daniel Bituli and how he played against Georgia Tech or Colton Jumper having 22 tackles, being upset about a trash can and a third-down song because they think it is gimmicky. That is what the kids (recruits) like, and when they come into Neyland Stadium that is a good scene with all of the fans cheering along with it.”

Reactions: 4 people
Seriously, why is it OK for radio show host to bash players but the man making almost 5 million a year is off limits to criticism? Or why is it OK for people to get on here and bash players but the head coach is off limits?

Albert Haynesworth was pissed about the front 4 lining up a good yard off the ball and Tim P was also pointing out coaching flaws during the game Saturday and basically said the players were going to have to overcome terrible coaching.

Hood will carry water for Jones just like Ainge. While I will say the jury is still out on this year, I don't have sympathy for a man making 4.5 million a year receiving criticism.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm willing to side with Hood on this one. If the Gators go through the D like a hot knife through butter (God forbid), then it's time to worry. Nothing I saw from Florida's offense after the first series against Michigan was very impressive. They have had some time to prepare, but so have the Vols. I'm sticking with my prediction, 24-13 Big Orange.

Every year I've said something like this to myself and only once in the last 15 years have the Vols won. No offense, but they could s..t the bed against Carson Newman and UT-Martin and then play us like National Champions.

You don't care for Haynesworth because he is a Person of Color??? Sir, I say good day to you...

I like my coffee black.
I like my shoes black.
I like my suits black.
I like my tees black.
I really like my football players black.
I like my women asian and naked.

I detest attitude regardless of color.

Haven't read any of these post except the OP. Honestly, Is Shoops numbers stinkier than Sal's? It's got to be darn close.

The sad thing is I dont think a Sunseri D ever allowed as many yards rushing

I had high hopes for Shoop. I hope he can fix it

Maybe Shoop is trying the learn the opposing teams tactics in rushing excellence. That way he will have the best strategy when running from his lawsuit against Penn(is) State University.

Shoop was a hot commodity for a reason. His defenses at Penn State and Vandy were really good. Remember it was his play calling that embarrassed us in Neyland back in 2013. Our D was actually pretty good last season till the injury bug bit. If we come out and play shy, timid ball Saturday then my opinion on Shoops ability may change but as of right now I still believe he's the real deal.

Tennessee defense was solid last season when Kirkland was healthy, not so much when he was out with injuries. He returned for the bowl game fully healthy and the defense was solid again. The problem for the Vols now is the hat Kirkland is out again with injury. Until the Vols find an adequate replacement for him, they will continue to
Struggle on defense.

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/tennessee-football-podcast-9-12-2017

Mike Griffith
Mike Griffith
@mikegriffith32
Posted 10 hours ago
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee is two games into the 2017 season, but it seems more questions remain for the Vols than have been answered.

The reason why is that Tennessee has been confronted with two funky offenses, and the Vols have arranged their defense accordingly.

Against Georgia Tech, it was all about not giving up the big play and holding the No. 23-ranked Vols in the game long enough for the offense to get going.

Tennessee’s defense did just that, as it was 14-7 at the half. Problem was, the Yellow Jackets offense had already been on the field for 42 plays — 21 minutes and 29 seconds.

At that, the Vols were playing without their two best linebackers and most athletic defensive tackle.

Still, it was Tennessee’s defense that actually outlasted Georgia Tech, holding the Yellow Jackets scoreless the final 13 minutes of the game, and making the game-winning stop in the second overtime of the 42-41 victory.

In a 42-7 win over Indiana State, a team filled with motions and shifts, the Vols stayed purposely vanilla and still held the Sycamores 0-for-11 on third downs.

Tennessee played only two defenses last Saturday, not wanting to show Florida anything, in terms of personnel packages, blitz packages and defensive looks.

Anyone that knows anything about football recognizes these simple concepts, but there remains a lunatic fringe intent on expressing anxiety on social media.

The Vols have one of the finest defensive coordinators in the nation in Bob Shoop.

But last season’s uncharacteristically high amount of injuries, and two inordinate offensive opponents this season, has some people barking up the wrong tree.

That’s not to see this season’s Tennessee defense will look like the 1985 Chicago Bears — again, the two best linebackers are out with injuries.

But to rush to conclusions on the coaching staff and draw sweeping conclusions at this stage of the year is foolish and misguided.

Reactions: 6 people
Tennessee defense was solid last season when Kirkland was healthy, not so much when he was out with injuries. He returned for the bowl game fully healthy and the defense was solid again. The problem for the Vols now is the hat Kirkland is out again with injury. Until the Vols find an adequate replacement for him, they will continue to
Struggle on defense.
So you are suggesting that our defense revolves around one player. And when that player is out our coaches cant figure out how to field an average defense?

The offense, nor defense, have changed a damn thing.

Stop with this "hiding" from Florida nonsense.
Alrighty, dooby man. You most likely forgot to name some coach who'd reveal to a major opponent his team's best schemes and formations, etc. Huh? Go figure. And, boy. Thanks for pointing out the fact that Butch is "hiding" from the gayduhs. I must've forgotten that they're too busy down there to work on their strategies for Saturday's game, since they think they're lucky and all. BTW: Either one of my German Shepherds would devour your skinny lopped-off-ears hound...not that I don't like Dobies, cuz I do. Lighten up, Francis. Sometimes folks strategize aside from chalking up Xs and Os on game day.:clapping:

But it is not time to panic in the eyes of former Tennessee defensive lineman Daniel Hood, who played under Butch Jones in 2013.
“I just do not think there is anything you can really tell about them now,” Hood told Saturday Down South of the defense through two games. “We do not know if they are good, and we do not know if they are bad.”
Facing the triple option offense in Week 1 against Georgia Tech and then with a short turnaround to get ready for FCS Indiana State in Week 2 leaves a lot of unknowns.
“You cannot really grade them off Georgia Tech,” Hood said.
The comparison is similar to when Alabama surrendered 341 total yards to Georgia Southern in 2011, with 302 coming on the ground against the triple-option offense.
“It is like trying to grade Alabama off their performance against Georgia Southern. Not saying that Tennessee is Alabama by any stretch, but the three games in 13 days is what it is, and you are not going to game-plan as much for Indiana State. Let’s be honest, Tennessee should roll out there and do anything and probably win that game fairly easily like they did.”

Hood nailed it. We won't know how good or bad our D is till this weekend. I'm willing to bet we won't be lining up a yard of the line, and I expect our corners and D-Line to play a lot more aggressive.

This was my favorite part....

If you watch Indiana State, every play they have 3-5 guys moving. When you watch their run scheme, they are a lateral run scheme and not really downhill. If that is the case, then you want those guys back a little. When you get penetration in that type of run scheme, it puts your linebackers in space.

“With Darrin Kirkland Jr. being out, that is the last thing you want is Colton Jumper to have to make a tackle with a lot of space. To me, that is why they were lined up like that. The same goes for Georgia Tech, with the least amount of rushing yards coming between the guards. The (Haynesworth) tweet does not really make sense without understanding what they are wanting to do schematically, and we are not in the film room. If it is third-and-two against Alabama, everyone knows they will be lined up to defend the power up the middle.”

thank you Daniel Hood. I saw a lot of comments he made that mirror what a lot of the more patient fans have said here. I also noticed an interesting stat the only 2 pressures came from Jumper and KMac 2 of he 3 most maligned players on the D thus far (along with Kongbo) whatever heat Martin gets is at least partially deserved.

Ben or Cuonzo?

So you are suggesting that our defense revolves around one player. And when that player is out our coaches cant figure out how to field an average defense?

A 4-3 scheme is predicated on having a fast middle linebacker that can run from sideline to sideline to find the football and make tackles. Kirkland when he is healthy is very close to being a dominant player. The 4-3 schemes are designed for the line to control gaps, and the middle linebacker to make tackles. UT best 4-3 defenses all have one thing in common, a dominant middle linebacker, think Al Wilson 1998. UT doesn't have Al Wilson this season but Kirkland was a close as the Vols had on their roster. Maybe, one of the younger players can step in and fill the void, but Jumper while he does some nice things, he doesn't have the skills or abilities to be dominate at middle linebacker, and IMHO until UT finds a middle linebacker that fits this bill, their defense will struggle to stop the run just like they did last season.

Seriously, why is it OK for radio show host to bash players but the man making almost 5 million a year is off limits to criticism? Or why is it OK for people to get on here and bash players but the head coach is off limits?

Albert Haynesworth was pissed about the front 4 lining up a good yard off the ball and Tim P was also pointing out coaching flaws during the game Saturday and basically said the players were going to have to overcome terrible coaching.

Hood will carry water for Jones just like Ainge. While I will say the jury is still out on this year, I don't have sympathy for a man making 4.5 million a year receiving criticism.

Your statement regarding Tim Priest is nothing short of ridiculous. Either that or you don't know crap about sports.

Sometimes an athlete has to improvise on the field. Even athletes who play for great coaches have to do this. Priest meant nothing more than this.

You Butch haters area grasping at straws pathetic bunch. I would also bet you part of the same crowd that was so vocal to fire the most successful coach we've had in over a half century.

Keep it up and we can get another Dooley.

Your statement regarding Tim Priest is nothing short of ridiculous. Either that or you don't know crap about sports.

Sometimes an athlete has to improvise on the field. Even athletes who play for great coaches have to do this. Priest meant nothing more than this.

You Butch haters area grasping at straws pathetic bunch. I would also bet you part of the same crowd that was so vocal to fire the most successful coach we've had in over a half century.

Keep it up and we can get another Dooley.
http://www.utsports.com/watch/?Archive=2858&type=Archive

4:14 mark chief, "at some point you have to overcome your coaching, everyone in the stadium knew where that ball was going"

So are you going to answer my question, why it's ok for you to come on here and bash players but not the man making 4.5 million a year?

And to expand on your Dooley comment, isn't it funny that 5 years later we're having the same conversations?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back