Butch Jones press conference tomorrow at noon

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Butch has his scheduled weekly press conference tomorrow at noon. I'm guessing if there's any truth to the suspension rumors, we'll find out then.

We all know Dormady is going to be the starting quarterback, so I'm not sure what the big secret is in announcing it. Will Butch name a starter tomorrow?

Speaking of quarterbacks, does this whole dual quarterback thing feel a bit forced to anyone else? It seems like they decided before fall camp even started that both guys were going to play. Is this set up in the best interest of the team this year, in your opinion? Or is this an attempt at roster management for the future?

Reactions: 3 people
Butch has his scheduled weekly press conference tomorrow at noon. I'm guessing if there's any truth to the suspension rumors, we'll find out then.

We all know Dormady is going to be the starting quarterback, so I'm not sure what the big secret is in announcing it. Will Butch name a starter tomorrow?

Speaking of quarterbacks, does this whole dual quarterback thing feel a bit forced to anyone else? It seems like they decided before fall camp even started that both guys were going to play. Is this set up in the best interest of the team this year, in your opinion? Or is this an attempt at roster management for the future?

Can't remember a time where a dual quarterback system was in the best interest of a team.

So unless it is just for game 1 to see which plays better with live ammo flying, then it certainly smells like it is being done to placate JG.

Reactions: 1 person
Can't remember a time where a dual quarterback system was in the best interest of a team.

So unless it is just for game 1 to see which plays better with live ammo flying, then it certainly smells like it is being done to placate JG.

2004 comes to mind. IMO you will not see the dual system throughout the entire year. Coaches want to see who plays best during live action. Permanent QB will be solidified by UF game.

Reactions: 2 people
2004 comes to mind. IMO you will not see the dual system throughout the entire year. Coaches want to see who plays best during live action. Permanent QB will be solidified by UF game.

2004 was a dual QB system out of necessity (after the first game) because of injuries. I don't recall Ainge and Schaeffer splitting time when both were healthy except for the UNLV game.

You gotta love the extremes this website goes through. Before the spring game it was all about how JG was the definite starter and QD was gonna transfer. Then Dormady has a nice spring game and he's now the second coming and we're just giving JG snaps to placate him. LOL.

JG is still extremely talented. Dormady can't run the read option which is critical in today's college game. Whether you like it or not, we're gonna play both QBs. And we'll play them ALL SEASON. Dormady will definitely get more snaps. But Guarantano will play as well because he brings a skill set to the field that Dormady doesn't have.

We have 2 great QBs. It would be dumb on Butch's part to not play both if they can both help us WIN. Florida won the national championship in 2006 with a 2-QB system. And so can we.

Reactions: 4 people
You gotta love the extremes this website goes through. Before the spring game it was all about how JG was the definite starter and QD was gonna transfer. Then Dormady has a nice spring game and he's now the second coming and we're just giving JG snaps to placate him. LOL.

JG is still extremely talented. Dormady can't run the read option which is critical in today's college game. Whether you like it or not, we're gonna play both QBs. And we'll play them ALL SEASON. Dormady will definitely get more snaps. But Guarantano will play as well because he brings a skill set to the field that Dormady doesn't have.

We have 2 great QBs. It would be dumb on Butch's part to not play both if they can both help us WIN. Florida won the national championship in 2006 with a 2-QB system. And so can we.

That was def not a true 2 QB system.

wants to keep both QBs satisfied until he can actually see them both in a "real" game situation...see, under a "real" game situation if you can't cut it you don't have anything to gripe about...you were given a chance and you're not ready...he's hoping someone will separate under pressure...problem solved...:twocents:...:)

GO VOLS!

. . . Dormady can't run the read option . . .

Why not?

He might not crank off 20 yd+ "explosive" plays as readily as JD was able, but he can certainly run the read option. All he has to do to make the play effective is make the right reads. If he makes the right reads and takes the yards they give him, the play does what it is supposed to do within the context of the offensive scheme.

Reactions: 5 people

It is being done to placate the young QB...which speaks volumes about the coach and the player.

Despite what the "experts" on here who watch a lot of "film" say, Dormady can effectively run every aspect of this offense....he did it in HS. It's funny that those who have marveled at JG's mobility in HS have never watched Dormady's HS film (from much tougher Texas HS football).

Reactions: 5 people

Tim Tebow and Chris Leak said Hi as they flashed their championship rings!

I think we are talking about an 85%/15% split on snaps, maybe even less. A dozen or so plays that highlight JG's skill set and further confuses opposing defenses.

2004 was a dual QB system out of necessity (after the first game) because of injuries. I don't recall Ainge and Schaeffer splitting time when both were healthy except for the UNLV game.

No, I remember Phil alternating the two fellows for the first few games. Then Ainge got hot and Schaeffer got hurt. But for a while, it was a true two-QB rotation.

Here's an article about it, 3 games into the season: http://www.utsports.com/news/2004/9/29/Two_QB_System_Thriving_in_Knoxville.aspx?path=football

You gotta love the extremes this website goes through. Before the spring game it was all about how JG was the definite starter and QD was gonna transfer.

I don't remember ANYone saying that, except John R Lansford. And he got a lot of grief from the community for it, too.

So your memory is way off, on the position of VolNation as a whole.

Last edited:

That bold may be true but they need to bring him in on passing and running situations not just running situations.

Why not?

He might not crank off 20 yd+ "explosive" plays as readily as JD was able, but he can certainly run the read option. All he has to do to make the play effective is make the right reads. If he makes the right reads and takes the yards they give him, the play does what it is supposed to do within the context of the offensive scheme.

Cause he's slow.

For the read option to be effective, the guy doing the read has to threaten the defense with an explosive run otherwise its worthless. See Justin Worley in this offense.

I don't think they truly want a 2 QB system. It USUALLY doesn't work. Naming one or two instances doesn't mean it'll work for us. Plus, Leak got vast majority of those snaps.

That bold may be true but they need to bring him in on passing and running situations not just running situations.

JG will definitely throw the ball as well. I'm just saying that his threat as a runner is something we'll need to help out the offensive line. And it should also help John Kelly find more running room.

When the defense has to account for the QB as a runner, it makes everything easier for everybody else and it makes everything harder for the defense.

Tim Tebow and Chris Leak said Hi as they flashed their championship rings!

I think we are talking about an 85%/15% split on snaps, maybe even less. A dozen or so plays that highlight JG's skill set and further confuses opposing defenses.

Go fish.

Tebow attempted 33 passes that year compared to Leak's 232. But yeah, sure, that was a 2 QB system. :eek:hmy:

That was a goal line/short yardage package, not a true 2 QB system.

I don't think they truly want a 2 QB system. It USUALLY doesn't work. Naming one or two instances doesn't mean it'll work for us. Plus, Leak got vast majority of those snaps.

That's because not too many teams have 2 GREAT QBs on their roster at the same time. We're in an envious situation right now. We have 2 QBs that are good enough to start at almost every other school in the country. Most schools don't have one good QB. So if we have 2 GREAT QBs, why not use both? Especially if they have differing skills that can help us in different ways?

I say play your best players as much as possible. Dormady and Guarantano are 2 of the best players on this team. I say play BOTH.

That's because not too many teams have 2 GREAT QBs on their roster at the same time. We're in an envious situation right now. We have 2 QBs that are good enough to start at almost every other school in the country. Most schools don't have one good QB. So if we have 2 GREAT QBs, why not use both? Especially if they have differing skills that can help us in different ways?

I say play your best players as much as possible. Dormady and Guarantano are 2 of the best players on this team. I say play BOTH.
Christ.......with this **** again. You are saying a guy who has literally never taken a college snap is good enough to start at almost every other school in the country. Almost as dumb as you saying Dobbs winning MVP next year.

Last edited:
Go fish.

Tebow attempted 33 passes that year compared to Leak's 232. But yeah, sure, that was a 2 QB system. :eek:hmy:

That was a goal line/short yardage package, not a true 2 QB system.

Yup, a 2 QB has never really worked in my memory. Speaks to the saying if you have 2 starting quarterbacks, then you really don't have one.

Just want to hear the DKjr update at noon tomorrow. Then we can all move on one way or another on that front.

Cause he's slow.

For the read option to be effective, the guy doing the read has to threaten the defense with an explosive run otherwise its worthless. See Justin Worley in this offense.

There is far more value to that play than simply gaining an explosive run. If the QB can make the reads correctly and force defenders to account for the read option, there are a BUNCH of plays, both run and pass, that become far more effective.

And, he is not as slow as Worley. Further, this is his third year in the offense, so he has a much better sense of the read and how to properly execute it.

But, if defenses are content to give him 4-5 yards every time he keeps because he isn't "explosive," then we will all be happy because that means an awful lot of 2nd down & 5s and 3rd & 2s for the offense.

Yup, a 2 QB has never really worked in my memory. Speaks to the saying if you have 2 starting quarterbacks, then you really don't have one.

I remember Spurrier had some levels of success with a true 2 QB system back when he had Jesse Palmer and Doug Johnson (and maybe later on Rex Grossman). But it seemed like none of them could ever get a good rhythm going and he was constantly playing musical chairs. He did it a little at South Carolina as well. I can't recall any other coach doing a true 2 QB system in recent memory, and I certainly don't remember anyone being largely successful with it.

VN Store

Back