Why 8-4?

VolBricks

May the Orange be with you!
Why 8-4?
Every offseason the “Talking Heads” like to evaluate the talent on all of the top teams/conferences and make predictions about what they believe the state of each program is. They also guess how many wins a team will have based on schedule and returning talent.
This year most “Talking Heads” have us going about 8-4 and most on Volnation seem to somewhat agree. I have been curious as to why the talking heads think FL or KY is better than the Vols this year. Yesterday I was listening to 104.5 (or 102.5) in Nashville and they had a segment discussing the Vols. Their premise was “Who on this year’s team is a proven difference maker”? To make their point they went back to last year at this time and said who in July/August 2016 did we expect to be a difference maker? Their answer was:
Barnette, Sutton, Dobbs, Kamara, Hurd, JRM, Berry, (there were some others I do not remember).
The point was that any or all of these players could make a game changing play at any time. Then they focused again on this year’s team, who on this team do you Expect to make a game changing play? The only one was Evan Berry and maybe Jennings. All of our other returning players, although talented and with playing time, have not proven themselves to be that player that can turn a game on a single play. Add to that a new QB, new somewhat unproven RB’s and you can see why they pick us 8-4. Ky and Fl both have more “Proven” players returning than we do (according to the talking heads).
I will sum this all up by saying that I believe we are as talented or more talented across the board than we were last year. They may not have the “wow” factor attached to them yet, but I believe this year’s team is a “Team” and they have a desire to win that last year’s team did not. I believe last year’s team was divided by some player(s )that will be left unnamed. Do I think 8-4 is unreasonable? No, but I believe this year’s team could just as easily go 10-2 in the regular season.
Sorry for the long post but it is the offseason and we still have 36 more days until college football kicks off.

GBO!

Reactions: 8 people
"under the radar" is a good thing, but make no mistake, no team on our schedule is listening to "Talking Heads" unless it's the band...:)

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 2 people
I see loses to Alabama, LSU & Florida. I see us beating UGA again and going 9 - 3 in the regular season. I see us winning another bowl game also.
I see Aaron Medley getting 58 more points and surpassing Jeff Hall as the all time scoring leader in U.T. football history.
I also see bUTch getting 10 wins this season to pass Coach Barnhill on the victory list of U.T. football. Barnhill had 32 wins at U.T., bUTch now has 30 wins.
I see McKenzie, Tuttle & Kirkland having good seasons and going pro after this season.

Reactions: 3 people
I pay little attention to "talking heads"
In 2007, after we took the back door to the SECG, we were predicted to have a good season, but it ended up being a disaster and Fulmer got fired.
I remember in 1986, no one predicted the success that we would have that Sugar Bowl season.

Reactions: 1 person
Two reasons. UT has talented but unknown players filling the shoes of productive players. The media does not believe in Jones on gameday.

Reactions: 4 people
Their premise was “Who on this year’s team is a proven difference maker”? To make their point they went back to last year at this time and said who in July/August 2016 did we expect to be a difference maker? Their answer was: Barnett, Sutton, Dobbs, Kamara, Hurd, JRM, Berry, (there were some others I do not remember). The point was that any or all of these players could make a game changing play at any time. Then they focused again on this year’s team, who on this team do you Expect to make a game changing play? The only one was Evan Berry and maybe Jennings. All of our other returning players, although talented and with playing time, have not proven themselves to be that player that can turn a game on a single play.

Hmm, I think they missed a few.

Proven play makers for 2017, whom we can reasonably expect to make game-changing plays (because they've done so, several times, before): John Kelly (almost as proven going into 2017 as Hurd or Kamara were going into 2016, and certainly going into 2015, imo) ... Shaq Wiggins (no one said he had to prove his talent while wearing orange) ... Jauan Jennings (mad man)... Todd Kelly, Jr. (interception machine) ... Evan Berry (kick returns) ... Trevor Daniel (punting).

So I'd say not two proven playmakers, but a handful. All of whom have changed the complexion of games in the past, more than once.

When you count them up, it's not much different than the number than we had in 2016. Just the next generation pushing through. Only thing we're missing, really, is a star QB. And maybe we'll have one by the start of SEC play.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
I see loses to Alabama, LSU & Florida. I see us beating UGA again and going 9 - 3 in the regular season. I see us winning another bowl game also.
I see Aaron Medley getting 58 more points and surpassing Jeff Hall as the all time scoring leader in U.T. football history.
I also see bUTch getting 10 wins this season to pass Coach Barnhill on the victory list of U.T. football. Barnhill had 32 wins at U.T., bUTch now has 30 wins.
I see McKenzie, Tuttle & Kirkland having good seasons and going pro after this season.

The way the schedule lays out, I think UT has a really good chance of winning two of the 3 (UGA, UF, LSU) if they coaching is good and the injury issues have been resolved.

UGA has the most talent and experience in the East and on the experience side it isn't all that close. LSU has a good and seasoned team but I don't believe in O but have hope that UT will be playing well by that late in the season and at home.

I despise UF so I have to be really careful not to let my bias creep in but I just don't see whatever it is that others are seeing in their roster. Granted McElwain has found a way to get it done and maybe that's why they're getting so much love. They have some experience among their starters but their depth is very young and pretty inexperienced.

Hmm, I think they missed a few.

Proven play makers for 2017, whom we can reasonably expect to make game-changing plays (because they've done so, several times, before): John Kelly (almost as proven going into 2017 as Hurd or Kamara were going into 2016, and certainly going into 2015, imo) ... Shaq Wiggins (no one said he had to prove his talent while wearing orange) ... Jauan Jennings (mad man)... Todd Kelly, Jr. (interception machine) ... Evan Berry (kick returns) ... Trevor Daniel (punting).

So I'd say not two proven playmakers, but a handful. All of whom have changed the complexion of games in the past, more than once.

When you count them up, it's not much different than the number than we had in 2016. Just the next generation pushing through. Only thing we're missing, really, is a star QB. And maybe we'll have one by the start of SEC play.

Hard not to see Jennings as a game changer. Probably the most physical WR in the SEC with a knack for the big play.

Reactions: 3 people
Hard not to see Jennings as a game changer. Probably the most physical WR in the SEC with a knack for the big play.

They said these things were true but that his routes were not crisp and there is no proven QB to throw to him. I say throw it up and let him to fight for it.

You must have a whole bunch of people on ignore.

:)

No, I am just a glutton for punishment. I didn't say these things were true. I think we actually win one more and go 9-3 in the regular season.

Why 8-4?
Every offseason the “Talking Heads” like to evaluate the talent on all of the top teams/conferences and make predictions about what they believe the state of each program is. They also guess how many wins a team will have based on schedule and returning talent.
This year most “Talking Heads” have us going about 8-4 and most on Volnation seem to somewhat agree. I have been curious as to why the talking heads think FL or KY is better than the Vols this year. Yesterday I was listening to 104.5 (or 102.5) in Nashville and they had a segment discussing the Vols. Their premise was “Who on this year’s team is a proven difference maker”? To make their point they went back to last year at this time and said who in July/August 2016 did we expect to be a difference maker? Their answer was:
Barnette, Sutton, Dobbs, Kamara, Hurd, JRM, Berry, (there were some others I do not remember).
The point was that any or all of these players could make a game changing play at any time. Then they focused again on this year’s team, who on this team do you Expect to make a game changing play? The only one was Evan Berry and maybe Jennings. All of our other returning players, although talented and with playing time, have not proven themselves to be that player that can turn a game on a single play. Add to that a new QB, new somewhat unproven RB’s and you can see why they pick us 8-4. Ky and Fl both have more “Proven” players returning than we do (according to the talking heads).
I will sum this all up by saying that I believe we are as talented or more talented across the board than we were last year. They may not have the “wow” factor attached to them yet, but I believe this year’s team is a “Team” and they have a desire to win that last year’s team did not. I believe last year’s team was divided by some player(s )that will be left unnamed. Do I think 8-4 is unreasonable? No, but I believe this year’s team could just as easily go 10-2 in the regular season.
Sorry for the long post but it is the offseason and we still have 36 more days until college football kicks off.

GBO!

College football starts in 31 days.
https://days.to/until/ncaa-season

I don't have a clue what the record will be, but many of our "non-playmakers" got a lot of experience last year due to injuries to the "playmakers" and other starters. That was a huge problem last year, but should be a positive in 2017 and 2018.

12-0! Surprise team of the year. It's as possible as 8-4 or 7-5. Every team in the conference will be better this year so it's gonna be a tough season.

I hope that Jones has attended the Bear Bryant School of Public Relations. Coach Bryant never had a decent team. He downplayed their chances every game and every year. He took responsibility for any rare failure. The players were allowed to play to their ability without pressure and wanted to win for him. I suspect that Jones has lowered expectations to encourage success and at the same time protect himself from lofty expectations.

I think Bama is probably a loss if I'm being objective.

Florida I really think we should win BUT it's in Gainesville. So I'd say that's a toss up.

UGA is a pretty even matchup but it's at home. So I'd still say a toss up there.

Georgia Tech actually could be a tougher matchup than some think.

LSU? Honestly I have no idea what the hell we'll see out that team.

IF x player steps up, IF our injury issues are resolved, IF we have better team chemistry, IF our new coaches work well together...

More likely than not, at least one, and likely more than one, above the above will continue to be a problem in 2017. And likely a new problem will present itself whether it's QB inconsistency, high rate of turnovers, etc.

Given CBJs propensity to underperform I'd say 8-4 is the ceiling and 7-5 is just as likely.

Why 8-4?

GBO!
I'm with ya I think it's about time to start seeing what we've been recruiting! I don't see how people just assume we lose to Florida Georgia every year. I can see 10-2 with some luck along the way. We lost some key talent no doubt. But we should be able to plug new guys in. Losing Barnett I get it he's hard to replace. But we should have talent to replace most!

Last edited:
I think there are some question marks at key positions on our team. With that said, We're not likely to suck and we're not likely to win it all. It's a safe prediction for a team that nobody can put their finger on.

Either way they won't be far off. They're just choosing the middle of the road instead of going out on a limb.

I wouldn't read much into the predictions. It all depends on Dormady/Guarantano.

I pay little attention to "talking heads"
In 2007, after we took the back door to the SECG, we were predicted to have a good season, but it ended up being a disaster and Fulmer got fired.
I remember in 1986, no one predicted the success that we would have that Sugar Bowl season.

The 1986 team played in the Liberty Bowl.

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I believe Jennings breaks the single season yardage record by a UT receiver and I'm sticking with it.

VN Store

Back