Diamond out!!

Pretty good assessment. You're a UConn fan right? How did your fans react when Geno had that string of E8s (2005- sweet 16, 2006, 2007). Then I think the Maya Moore came to town for you guys. Many fans on here have thanked DD for her services but with this fan base many people believe their is a LV way to do things and the way she handled it wasn't the LV way. I have no problem with her going pro! I pray she has a long and prosperous career as she is a talent. HOWEVER, I really believe if she had not made a spectacle of coming back this would not even be an issue. If she had rode off into the sun no one would of blamed her. But she seemingly took her ball and went home when Te'a got into trouble and was excused by the university not HW. No one was mad when C. Parker left because she did it the classy way like a LV is expected. Shoot Pat encouraged her to go to the next level. But it was done with respect which seemed lacking in the DD situation. Again it's her life and as a fan her decisions don't impact me. But a lot can be said when her teammates express sadness over seeing Alexa and Coach Law leave but when it came to other players it didn't really come across as a bad thing.

FOR THE record better chemistry may not produce those close wins you spoke of however I would not say our players won't win the game because a player is gone. now they may play for each other more so if the chemistry is better. The fun part is even from the short clips there looks to be a bunch of smiles with the ladies that were training together.

I just feel like the expectations aren't fair. I completely get that that comes with prolonged exposure to excellence. I didn't become a UConn fan until 2004 which was my junior year in HS so maybe my youth makes me a bit less cynical when it comes to National Title droughts. I figure them as part of the journey. No one is perfect. Isn't that what parity is all about that fans of the sport keep crying over?

I just wonder if people are more frustrated because of the number of losses or the product on the floor? I can't imagine anyone is expecting Holly to be Pat but has she done that much worse? Yes, there have been strange losses and I am in no way excusing them but I just feel like people aren't seeing the patterns. She hasn't elevated Tennessee to their former glory but she also hasn't relegated them to the bottom of the SEC either.

Overall she has done more than enough to keep her job. She will retire from Tennessee I gather in 10-12 years. What you are getting from her may be all she is able to give and at that it's still been far more than most schools would ever achieve. I am not saying people should lower their expectation but to view them in the context of 2017-2018 because fans really have no idea what page of the book this staff is on.

The legendary coaches are working out of Volume 6 Expert Edition and Holly and staff could be on page 1 Volume 2. I have enjoyed this board quite a bit but I do fear that if these freshman aren't as amazing come January as fans think, they will talked about just as bad as some talk about the "quitters".

Reactions: 1 person
I just feel like the expectations aren't fair. I completely get that that comes with prolonged exposure to excellence. I didn't become a UConn fan until 2004 which was my junior year in HS so maybe my youth makes me a bit less cynical when it comes to National Title droughts. I figure them as part of the journey. No one is perfect. Isn't that what parity is all about that fans of the sport keep crying over?

I just wonder if people are more frustrated because of the number of losses or the product on the floor? I can't imagine anyone is expecting Holly to be Pat but has she done that much worse? Yes, there have been strange losses and I am in no way excusing them but I just feel like people aren't seeing the patterns. She hasn't elevated Tennessee to their former glory but she also hasn't relegated them to the bottom of the SEC either.

Overall she has done more than enough to keep her job. She will retire from Tennessee I gather in 10-12 years. What you are getting from her may be all she is able to give and at that it's still been far more than most schools would ever achieve. I am not saying people should lower their expectation but to view them in the context of 2017-2018 because fans really have no idea what page of the book this staff is on.

The legendary coaches are working out of Volume 6 Expert Edition and Holly and staff could be on page 1 Volume 2. I have enjoyed this board quite a bit but I do fear that if these freshman aren't as amazing come January as fans think, they will talked about just as bad as some talk about the "quitters".

What is it to you, as a Uconn fan, how Lady Vol fans react? I don't understand your lamenting over some of our fans being (justifiably) upset with DD and all the pondering you're doing about our freshmen when you're not even a fan. You "fear" our freshmen will be bashed if they don't perform up to the expectations. Why do you "fear?" I don't understand why it's of concern to you. Just seems like a lot of over the top carrying on about our team from a non-fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people

2004?!?!? Then it's not to late for you to turn from your wicked ways 😂😂😂 naw I'm just kidding I thank you for being respectful poster on this site. You need to YouTube the iconic battles TN/UCONN used to have! It's a thing of beauty and what really bought WBB into the spotlight!

As far as the freshman I think as long as we are seeing effort and cohesion the fan base will have hope. It's not like the cupboard is bare. Russell and Nared when heathy and engaged are a load and if there is another player or two too step up this team has top 10-15 talent and can compete in the SEC because heart has been what has been missing and coaching (no i didn't forget about that) I hope this new hire is a true guards coach who can teach angles, proper post passing and doesn't let the ball get stuck. The one thing I love about Evina westbrook is that the ball doesn't get stuck in her hands! If she sees an open player she hits her. I always respected Sue Bird because she didn't waste dribbles but she kept the ball til the right play. We need a coach who teaches the balance of keeping the dribble and passing when need be.

The freshman wall is real and it may take some mental toughness for these freshman to get over it but that's why LEADERS who are concerned about the teamfirst aspect are important. There are gonna be some mistakes but if you don't make mistakes you don't really learn.

What is it to you, as a Uconn fan, how Lady Vol fans react? I don't understand your lamenting over some of our fans being (justifiably) upset with DD and all the pondering you're doing about our freshmen when you're not even a fan. You "fear" our freshmen will be bashed if they don't perform up to the expectations.
Why do you "fear?" I don't understand why it's of concern to you.

Maybe just a basketball fan that appreciates the way UCONN plays the game?!? I admit I am a TRUE LV fan but wish we take a page out of some other teams books at times for the way they move the ball and shoot. I'm greedy though and want it all 😂

Maybe just a basketball fan that appreciates the way UCONN plays the game?!? I admit I am a TRUE LV fan but wish we take a page out of some other teams books at times for the way they move the ball and shoot. I'm greedy though and want it all 😂

I don't feel we have to explain why we were upset with DD to someone who's not in our fanbase, especially after the way she did it. And the carrying on about our freshmen was over the top to me.

I don't feel we have to explain why we were upset with DD to someone who's not in our fanbase, especially after the way she did it. And the carrying on about our freshmen was over the top to me.

Maybe the poster is just trying to understand... I don't know? I don't think trying to start trouble was the reason. I agree I didn't like the way DD did what she did and expressed myself. I have no problem with telling anyone my issue. What's the old saying? It's often not what you say but how you say it ( in this case it was a lack of how she said it).

Maybe the poster is just trying to understand... I don't know? I don't think trying to start trouble was the reason. I agree I didn't like the way DD did what she did and expressed myself. I have no problem with telling anyone my issue. What's the old saying? It's often not what you say but how you say it ( in this case it was a lack of how she said it).

I just got annoyed at what sounded like criticism of the ones who were upset at the way she handled leaving. I don't understand why anyone (who knows the details, which were posted in this forum) cannot understand how unethical it was. That said - I am so glad she's gone and I know the chemistry is already much better. Whether or not that will translate on the court remains to be seen. As has been pointed out over and over, we have four freshmen.... LOL I just know I see a lot more cohesiveness and, as you pointed out, smiles on and off the court. We'll see....

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

💯% agree, T_V. If you don't understand, you probably can't understand. It comes across as holier than thou or an attempt at ill bred condescension rather than a true interest/concern. May be wrong, but you are judged by the company you keep....and some of the conners that have crawled into this forum make them all look bad. Which they aren't; met some at tournaments and only a few made my skin crawl, all the others were just bball fans with an accent:). It's just the percentage of rude and crude ones is so high here in comparison to their true fan base:ermm:.

I was in no way trying to "start trouble". Some people like to argue. I don't. I honestly was trying to understand this odd dichotomy between those who fervently defend Holly from those they consider to be "negavols" showcasing very similar actions towards players leaving without even seeing the correlation as if one is more deserving than the other therefore warranted.

I would have thought those same people would have been the ones to give similar data on DD and what she meant to the program in her time there as they have done for Holly. If anything it seemed the exact opposite happened so I was a bit lost. I suppose whatever statement she made really resonated with some and the fact that the circumstances changed doesn't matter to them because she made a verbal commitment to the fanbase and her team with that statement. She broke their trust therefore to some she is not a "LVFL" along with Middleton & obviously Cooper.

If you've read any of my previous posts I am often seeking to understand. I am the most left-brained person on the planet so some of this stuff really just puzzles me. The cycle as far as I can see has been:

Step 1: Get all excited for the season.

Step 2: See how they play and realize they are not the Tennessee of old.

Step 3. Get angry at the coaching staff.

Step 4: Decide it's the players and not the staff.

Step 5: Get excited about the recruits.

Step 6: Go back to Step 1.

I would note that I said those exact words a year and a half ago.

Anyway, as I said I have enjoyed this board and am eager to see how this #1 class does. Some of them really think they are the missing piece to the puzzle. That's probably the case with any really good recruit. The thing about any activity whether it be team based or individual if you have a proven process it doesn't matter who you put into it you will get a certain level of success. If however, your process is faulty no matter who you put in it it will never succeed.

New offense, some new players, new-ish coaching staff... what's the process? Exciting basketball season ahead. I hope to find out.

Last edited:
Again... why worry so much and post all these LONG, in-depth posts asking ALL these questions, going so far as to make an itemized list of "the cycle" of our fan base reaction when you're not a fan of this team. Why do you need to understand? Why do you care? If it's not to stir up trouble among the Lady Vols fanbase, it sure is bizarre to say the least!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
I just got annoyed at what sounded like criticism of the ones who were upset at the way she handled leaving. I don't understand why anyone (who knows the details, which were posted in this forum) cannot understand how unethical it was. That said - I am so glad she's gone and I know the chemistry is already much better. Whether or not that will translate on the court remains to be seen. As has been pointed out over and over, we have four freshmen.... LOL I just know I see a lot more cohesiveness and, as you pointed out, smiles on and off the court. We'll see....

And we will smile the whole way! I'm excited for the season to start. Even though Carson Newman SHOULD BE outmatched... if the team is communicating, showing better habits, picking each other up... that will show progress! I need to know who this new hire is! Maybe it's Kara and she is just working out a deal so she can stay on ESPN as well... LOL I can dream 😎

And we will smile the whole way! I'm excited for the season to start. Even though Carson Newman SHOULD BE outmatched... if the team is communicating, showing better habits, picking each other up... that will show progress! I need to know who this new hire is! Maybe it's Kara and she is just working out a deal so she can stay on ESPN as well... LOL I can dream 😎

Sure would love for it to be Kara!!!

As much as I believe Kara Lawson would make an excellent coach and would like to see her on the Lady Vol staff, the fact is that coaching at the college level, even as an assistant coach, is a full time position. Unless she is willing to give up her gig as an ESPN announcer/analyst, I really don't see any program, especially Tennessee, offering her a position.

That said, with all the recent layoffs at ESPN, maybe she sees coaching as a better long term employment prospect!

Jim

Again... why worry so much and post all these LONG, in-depth posts asking ALL these questions, going so far as to make an itemized list of "the cycle" of our fan base reaction when you're not a fan of this team. Why do you need to understand? Why do you care? If it's not to stir up trouble among the Lady Vols fanbase, it sure is bizarre to say the least!
You are asking me why I am asking questions about LV basketball on a LV forum? If that's bizarre so be it. I care because I read and post here rather frequently and am a fan of WCBB. I have watched nearly all of the LV games in the last couple years following their journey after the transition in coaches. Why do you assume everything I post is malicious? I have had great conversations on here about basketball. Not everyone on here is trying to fight with you. I am a regular on many boards and when you don't know, you ask! If asking is threatening then I suppose I see where you're coming from. All fanbases are different and you can learn a lot about different teams by just talking with real fans.

Reactions: 5 people
You are asking me why I am asking questions about LV basketball on a LV forum? If that's bizarre so be it. I care because I read and post here rather frequently and am a fan of WCBB. I have watched nearly all of the LV games in the last couple years following their journey after the transition in coaches. Why do you assume everything I post is malicious? I have had great conversations on here about basketball. Not everyone on here is trying to fight with you. I am a regular on many boards and when you don't know, you ask! If asking is threatening then I suppose I see where you're coming from. All fanbases are different and you can learn a lot about different teams by just talking with real fans.

All righty then... just seems a little in depth for a fan of another team, but carry on. I wasn't trying to fight either, just found it strange.

I was in no way trying to "start trouble". Some people like to argue. I don't. I honestly was trying to understand this odd dichotomy between those who fervently defend Holly from those they consider to be "negavols" showcasing very similar actions towards players leaving without even seeing the correlation as if one is more deserving than the other therefore warranted.

I would have thought those same people would have been the ones to give similar data on DD and what she meant to the program in her time there as they have done for Holly. If anything it seemed the exact opposite happened so I was a bit lost. I suppose whatever statement she made really resonated with some and the fact that the circumstances changed doesn't matter to them because she made a verbal commitment to the fanbase and her team with that statement. She broke their trust therefore to some she is not a "LVFL" along with Middleton & obviously Cooper.

If you've read any of my previous posts I am often seeking to understand. I am the most left-brained person on the planet so some of this stuff really just puzzles me. The cycle as far as I can see has been:

Step 1: Get all excited for the season.

Step 2: See how they play and realize they are not the Tennessee of old.

Step 3. Get angry at the coaching staff.

Step 4: Decide it's the players and not the staff.

Step 5: Get excited about the recruits.

Step 6: Go back to Step 1.

I would note that I said those exact words a year and a half ago.

Anyway, as I said I have enjoyed this board and am eager to see how this #1 class does. Some of them really think they are the missing piece to the puzzle. That's probably the case with any really good recruit. The thing about any activity whether it be team based or individual if you have a proven process it doesn't matter who you put into it you will get a certain level of success. If however, your process is faulty no matter who you put in it it will never succeed.

New offense, some new players, new-ish coaching staff... what's the process? Exciting basketball season ahead. I hope to find out.

More than likely you are going to have an intimate and deep understanding of what's going on here after Geno retires. *sips coffee* It's pretty common for a program to have what is perceived as a "wandering in the wilderness" period once a legendary coach hangs it up. *sips more coffee* Equally common is the wringing of hands and shortness of patience as well as pointing of fingers among the fan base. This all happened in the wake of of Bear Bryant, John Wooden, Pete Carrol, Johnny Vaught, and on and on.

In short, there is nothing going on here all that hard to understand if you put it into perspective. We sadly arrived at the end of an era, and we are itching and *****ing real hard for a new one of equal magnitude. *refills coffee cup, blows on steam and takes another sip* And I expect y'all will too.

Last edited:
I think that Diamond will have issues at the pro level because of her attitude and her facial and physical language when things go wrong. I can also see some issues if Diamond is not the center piece of her team. I hope she cleans up some things that could adversely affect her at the pro level. She is a very gifted and talented athlete.

Reactions: 3 people
More than likely you are going to have an intimate and deep understanding of what's going on here after Geno retires. *sips coffee* It's pretty common for a program to have what is perceived as a "wandering in the wilderness" period once a legendary coach hangs it up. *sips more coffee* Equally common is the wringing of hands and shortness of patience as well as pointing of fingers among the fan base. This all happened in the wake of of Bear Bryant, Pete Carrol, Johnny Vaught, and on and on.

In short, there is nothing going on here all that hard to understand if you put it into perspective. We sadly arrived at the end of an era, and we are itching and *****ing real hard for a new one of equal magnitude. *refills coffee cup, blows on steam and takes another sip* And I expect y'all will too.

This I understand. The dichotomy between what seems to be acceptable from coaches & players was harder for me to understand but those who have replied have enlightened me. I appreciate the thorough reply. I hope you're drinking decaf.

Reactions: 3 people
This I understand. The dichotomy between what seems to be acceptable from coaches & players was harder for me to understand but those who have replied have enlightened me. I appreciate the thorough reply. I hope you're drinking decaf.

For me, I'm an ardent supporter of HW and I have been negative (?) In my comments about DD.

I was silent on this board for many years until I felt like HW was being unfairly bashed; she deserved to have someone reminding folks of the good things she was doing.

I also have supported DD fully for 3 years. Not so much on this board because she wasn't as much of a target. Once she Kiffin-ed us and I learned of all the cancerous attitudes and actions by DD and her BFF, I was very disappointed.

HW does her best and gives her absolute all for our team, and has done so for over 30 years.

My opinions are different because the actions and attitudes are different. Hope that helps you in your quest.

Reactions: 8 people

VN Store

Back