Howard grad transfer PG James Daniel

So, you were not negative during Cuonzo's time?

I supported Zo up until the very end. I felt the manner in which he left UT, and the reasons he left were weak. I also felt his use of the petition to pit Tennessee players against the fan base as some sort of "them against the world" mentality was bush league. I was critical of some of his early season failures and his near miss to make the NCAA Tournament with 3 NBA players.

I was also very positive towards his landing Stokes, keeping Golden, McRae, and JRich, as well as developing those guys, his ability to right the ship in the wake of the Pearl mess, his image in the community, and his relationships with his players. Best I remember, BTO, k-town, and I were some of the last few still beating the drum for Zo when SeniorDrill made his first appearance here to crap on him in the midst of his late season run leading up to the tournament.

So, was I critical of some of the things Zo did? Yes, much of which had to do with his exit. Did I carry on and on about it every time an opportunity presented itself? No.

I've been critical of Barnes too, for the record. I wasn't a fan of the hire. But I don't go out of my way to question/critique his every move and I don't invent reasons not to like him.

There is a difference in fair criticism and just outright negativity.

Last edited:
I supported Zo up until the very end. I felt the manner in which he left UT, and the reasons he left were weak. I also felt his use of the petition to pit Tennessee players against the fan base as some sort of "them against the world" mentality was bush league. I was critical of some of his early season failures and his near miss to make the NCAA Tournament with 3 NBA players.

I was also very positive towards his landing Stokes, keeping Golden, McRae, and JRich, as well as developing those guys, his ability to right the ship in the wake of the Pearl mess, his image in the community, and his relationships with his players. Best I remember, BTO, k-town, and I were some of the last few still beating the drum for Zo when SeniorDrill made his first appearance here to crap on him in the midst of his late season run leading up to the tournament.

So, was I critical of some of the things Zo did? Yes, much of which had to do with his exit. Did I carry on and on about it every time an opportunity presented itself? No.

I've been critical of Barnes too, for the record. I wasn't a fan of the hire. But I don't go out of my way to question/critique his every move and I don't invent reasons not to like him.

There is a difference in fair criticism and just outright negativity.

I'd really like to you to give me an example of me inventing a reason to not like him,

Heck, I've gave the man credit many times.

I'd really like to you to give me an example of me inventing a reason to not like him,

Heck, I've gave the man credit many times.

Again, just like in my first post that triggered your misguided ire, a post that was not directed at any one certain poster, you are assuming I am talking exclusively about you.

When I say inventing reasons not to like him, I am speaking to the baloney "golden parachute", "coasting to retirement", "doesn't leave his office" type comments.

Have you made those type statements? If so, I'm referring to you, and there are your requested examples. If not, then carry on.

Reactions: 1 person
About 11th on the depth chart, fighting for minutes this season.

Competing with Pons for playing time should make him better.

Barnes was using the 'Pons is coming' angle to motivate him in the off season.
Anything on how much muscle or weight he's added?

He needed about 50 lbs, so hopefully he got about half of the way there. I think he came in at about 170 or 175, which at 6-5, is rail thin.

A strange fact about JJ, he was the first player to sign with Tennessee directly out of high school from North Carolina in 21 years! I would have never believed that until I read it. Rashard Lee, in 1995, was the last.

In that same class, we got Grant Williams, John Fulkerson, and Kwe Parker, all of whom played at least their senior seasons in North Carolina.

Lol. I just think Bone is too good to be recruited over twice now. Won't shock me at all if the rumors last week about another transfer were him.

Would hate to see him go as he has elite quickness that can't be coached. He seems to get to the rim at will but has trouble finishing once he's there. If he can resolve that, then he could be a true force in the SEC IMHO.

I've not seen anything...I'm not down on Johnson, I just think a lot of guys obviously were ahead of him and that Pons is clearly more physically ready to contribute. I think he's a guy that can be a very nice player down the road for us but whether he's willing to stick it out and keep working is the question.

Didn't the staff say last year that, of everybody in the roster, Johnson had the most potential to end up on an NBA roster (obviously not without considerable growth/development)?

Yes, something like that.

That makes me think that he'll not be buried three deep in the depth chart. Of course, if he hasn't been working hard (see Shembari Phillips), then he very well could struggle to get minutes. The NBA potential comments could have been designed to light a fire under his ass.

Daniel looks like a lot of guards we've had in recent years. Not very big, fairly athletic and can score--but is not going to scare anybody playing for Kentucky.

Daniel looks like a lot of guards we've had in recent years. Not very big, fairly athletic and can score--but is not going to scare anybody playing for Kentucky.

Not really true at all. Richardson and Punter both had good height. I don't recall many if any under 6' guards.

You mean the team the Vols beat the last two years under CRB.

VN Store

Back