The Official Tennessee vs. Ole Miss Game Thread, 6:30 PM ET, SEC Network

Phillips has a ton of talent, and it looked like earlier in the year he was going to put it all together but then he started to regress.

I don't know what happened, but I think Barne's willingness to continue to give him the opportunity shows that he sees something in him.

He has a great shot but is hesitant to pull the trigger, could be a lack of confidence. He can defend well too. If he can sort out the offensive portion of his game he will be similar to Josh Richardson imo. He is already more offensively gifted than Richardson at this point, he just lacks the scoring mentality.

Phillips has a ton of talent, and it looked like earlier in the year he was going to put it all together but then he started to regress.

I don't know what happened, but I think Barne's willingness to continue to give him the opportunity shows that he sees something in him.

He has a great shot but is hesitant to pull the trigger, could be a lack of confidence. He can defend well too. If he can sort out the offensive portion of his game he will be similar to Josh Richardson imo. He is already more offensively gifted than Richardson at this point, he just lacks the scoring mentality.
I would disagree that he has more of an offensive game than JRich. Josh had a mid-range game that was apparent his freshmen year, Shembarri gets it stolen/blocked almost every attempt he drives. Not sure what happened, but Shembarri was a baller last year, and this yesr he hasn't done much offensively. He needs an offseason where he goes back to skill workouts/works on his shot.

Jordan Bowden is better plain and simple

I can agree with that. It wasn't Bowden's spot that I was thinking about. Both Turner & Bone has been committing turnovers like crazy for a few games. One of those two Phillips should be getting more minutes over than the other.

Both Bone & Turner are not consistent either when people bring up the inconsistent play of Phillips. He's not any worse than Bone or Turner or I would say better than at least one of them.

He's been given plenty of chances. He started several games with Bone out. He's just behind Bone, Turner, and Bowden right now, which means he has to split very few remaining minutes with Parker. They can't all play, and he's just the odd man out.

Well, he's definitely better than Parker. Parker is just athletic but he's a turnover waiting to happen. Add what I said above about Turner & Bone there you go. Flat out Phillips deserves more playing time. I'm telling you guys right now CRB(who I love as a coach) is running Phillips off from the program.

Phillips is going to transfer I'm telling you & he's one of the best all-around players we have. He didn't show that last year for nothing. You'll might not miss him being gone but I wll because I see the talent he has & he's not been given the opportunity this season to show it.

That's just how I feel & also see it. It's right in front of our eyes. I like Bowden & he definitely isn't the one that needs his playing time reduced to play Phillips more. It's the other guys that I mentioned. Thanks!

I can agree with that. It wasn't Bowden's spot that I was thinking about. Both Turner & Bone has been committing turnovers like crazy for a few games. One of those two Phillips should be getting more minutes over than the other.

Both Bone & Turner are not consistent either when people bring up the inconsistent play of Phillips. He's not any worse than Bone or Turner or I would say better than at least one of them.

Well, he's definitely better than Parker. Parker is just athletic but he's a turnover waiting to happen. Add what I said above about Turner & Bone there you go. Flat out Phillips deserves more playing time. I'm telling you guys right now CRB(who I love as a coach) is running Phillips off from the program.

Phillips is going to transfer I'm telling you & he's one of the best all-around players we have. He didn't show that last year for nothing. You'll might not miss him being gone but I wll because I see the talent he has & he's not been given the opportunity this season to show it.

That's just how I feel & also see it. It's right in front of our eyes. I like Bowden & he definitely isn't the one that needs his playing time reduced to play Phillips more. It's the other guys that I mentioned. Thanks!

Maybe he and Jalen Hurd can both enroll at Tennessee Tech

Tony unless you know what's going on behind the scenes then you have no right saying this crap. Shembari could be too timid, and Barnes is trying to get the best out of him. He played similar mind games with Hubbs last year, and look how much he has improved. Shembari will be a junior leader with Admiral next year he won't transfer, and he will improve because of the tough coaching he has received this year. Assuming you know what's going on behind the scenes is simply asinine.

This a bunch of opinion presented as fact. Phillips is not our best all-around player. In fact, he is just the opposite of it. He is sort of a jack of all trades, master of none. He doesn't noticeably struggle with anything, but he doesn't excel at anything either. What specific skill does he display that should warrant him getting more time over Bone and Turner? He is a pretty good shooter, but won't do it. He is a decent ball-handler, but tends to just dribble out around the perimeter. He's a decent defender, but not a lockdown guy. He struggles to facilitate the offense from the PG position, which he showed signs of being able to do last year. I just don't see what you're seeing to call him our best all-around player or to say he should play over Bone and Turner. He played 13 minutes last night and did exactly nothing with that playing time. He played 11 minutes against MSU the game before and did nothing. You are acting like he's getting no playing time and if he just got a shot, he'd make some major contribution, but two games, 24 minutes combined, and he barely registered any stats.

Last edited:
Tony unless you know what's going on behind the scenes then you have no right saying this crap. Shembari could be too timid, and Barnes is trying to get the best out of him. He played similar mind games with Hubbs last year, and look how much he has improved. Shembari will be a junior leader with Admiral next year he won't transfer, and he will improve because of the tough coaching he has received this year. Assuming you know what's going on behind the scenes is simply asinine.

It was my opinion bud. I can share that if I want. I also think if you'd ask Phillips himself outside of media being around he would agree with me. Probably some of his teammates as well. Let's just leave this at that. No need to start a buzz over a darn opinion. Thank you.

This a bunch of opinion presented as fact. Phillips is not our best all-around player. In fact, he is just the opposite of it. He is sort of a jack of all trades, master of none. He doesn't noticeably struggle with anything, but he doesn't excel at anything either. What specific skill does he display that should warrant him getting more time over Bone and Turner? He is a pretty good shooter, but won't do it. He is a decent ball-handler, but tends to just dribble out around the perimeter. He's a decent defender, but not a lockdown guy. He struggles to facilitate the offense from the PG position, which he showed signs of being able to do last year. I just don't see what you're seeing to call him our best all-around player or to say he should play over Bone and Turner. He played 13 minutes last night and did exactly nothing with that playing time.

Same as above chris. It was my opinion but I'm sure I'm not the only one that has this opinion. But, we need to just move on before it gets into an argument or fuss that's not necessary. Thanks bud.

Same as above chris. It was my opinion but I'm sure I'm not the only one that has this opinion. But, we need to just move on before it gets into an argument or fuss that's not necessary. Thanks bud.

Tony, this is what annoys me about you as a poster. You can't handle even civil confrontation and difference of opinion. You immediately equate discussion/debate with an antagonistic argument. You want the freedom to express your opinion, but don't want to have to defend it, which essentially is saying no one is allowed to publicly disagree with you. That isn't why this board exists.

As for Shembari Phillips agreeing with you, and again, you are speaking for him, but I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that he thinks he deserves more playing time. What competitor wouldn't say that? Bone probably thinks the same thing. Same for Lew Evans, Admiral, the walk-ons, etc.

Reactions: 2 people
Tony

Phillips was a TO Machine when he played PG.

Bone has played very well with his assist to TO ration. His ration is 28:11 in his last 8 games. That's damn good.

I was at the game last night. Seems like Bone and Barnes had a few words with each other. Bone went to go back in the game and Barnes told him to sit down and he can learn from the bench.

Phillips is regularly getting double digit minutes, which is what he deserves in my opinion. He's a good player, but he needs to work on his aggressiveness on offense before I'll want to see him over Bone or Turner (depending on the game).

Tony, this is what annoys me about you as a poster. You can't handle even civil confrontation and difference of opinion. You immediately equate discussion/debate with an antagonistic argument. You want the freedom to express your opinion, but don't want to have to defend it, which essentially is saying no one is allowed to publicly disagree with you. That isn't why this board exists.

100% truth.

Reactions: 1 person
Classless thing to say about a correct vol trying to help his team make the NCAA tourney. Bs

I'm not calling Phillips selfish. I was responding to the poster that said he would transfer, entertaining the thought. My opinion is If ANY player wants to transfer bc of selfishness, arrogance, greed, etc, don't let the door hit your butt on the way out. I personally want nothing but the best from all of these players.

I'm not calling Phillips selfish. I was responding to the poster that said he would transfer, entertaining the thought. My opinion is If ANY player wants to transfer bc of selfishness, arrogance, greed, etc, don't let the door hit your butt on the way out. I personally want nothing but the best from all of these players.

oh,...but still..classless.

Many had Schofield transferring 3-4 weeks ago. Give these guys a chance to grow. Still a lot of season to be played. We need Phillips. He could help raise this team to an even higher level. Many were down on Admiral, just don't give up on SP just yet. We have seen CRB help these guys grow.

Why do we call wanting more minutes selfishness or greed?
Some of these guys look at their college careers as stepping stones to a career even though it might be in Europe.
Dare say if you had a college prof that was flunking you because he didn't like the shape of your nose, you'd transfer or file suit.
if a player feels he doesn't fit a system and it's in his best interest to leave for more playing time, I really don't see the need to diss his decision.
Not saying Shembari is leaving, but if he did, I'd wish him the best.
Same with McGhee, even Kasongo.

Reactions: 1 person
Many had Schofield transferring 3-4 weeks ago. Give these guys a chance to grow. Still a lot of season to be played. We need Phillips. He could help raise this team to an even higher level. Many were down on Admiral, just don't give up on SP just yet. We have seen CRB help these guys grow.

It was really just 1 poster who has made that claim about the Admiral.

I'm not going to go back and try to find it. It's Not a big deal . You said he's likely to be the one that transfers if someone did indeed transfer.

Heck, I was wrong about Barnes. I admit that.

I did say that, your claim though was I said he was definitively transferring which is not true.

VN Store

Back