Alvin Kamara....1st round pick???

Dobbs 4 Heisman

WalterFootball.com: 2017 NFL Mock Draft by Charlie Campbell

At least one mock draft has him going late in the 1st round.

It personally wouldn't surprise me. If we finish strong and he gets back to his Texas A&M form I could see him going in the 1st round of the 2017 draft.

I've been saying he's Marshall Faulk 2.0 and he'll absolutely dominate on the next level.

Reactions: 2 people
No doubt D4H that Alvin is good. But, the League's record of drafting RB's in the first round has not been good lately. I would love to have a first rounder or two from the Vols though.

Reactions: 1 person
Too many better backs ahead of him. Supply and Demand. The value of draft picks has definitely swung to those that can affect the passing game, (QB, LT, WR, Pass Rusher, CB, S). Best bet we have for a 1st rounder is Barnette, followed by Sutton.

WalterFootball.com: 2017 NFL Mock Draft by Charlie Campbell

At least one mock draft has him going late in the 1st round.

It personally wouldn't surprise me. If we finish strong and he gets back to his Texas A&M form I could see him going in the 1st round of the 2017 draft.

I've been saying he's Marshall Faulk 2.0 and he'll absolutely dominate on the next level.

Yeah, you've been saying that for about 4 weeks after not saying a word about him for a year and a half while telling us that Jalen Hurd, who won't be drafted, is the best running back in the country, is the "Calvin Johnson of running backs" (whatever the hell that means) and is a surefire first round pick.

Many of us have been big AK fans and legitimately arguing that he should have a much bigger role in Tennessee's offense for going on two years now, because he was our best, most dynamic running back.....you on the other hand, are a Johnny come lately. So get out of here with your Kamara advocacy here at the 11th hour like you're some great prognosticator. You had your chance but choose to ride with a much overrated Hurd.

I don't know where Kamara is gonna be picked. As I've said for two years now, he's bigger (at 215 lbs), quicker and faster than many seem to think and he's definitely well suited for the NFL game. He has outstanding hands to boot and he's an outstanding kick returner.

It seems to me that first round is a bit early, but I could definitely see him gone by the late second or third round. He made himself a lot of money with the TAM performance and yesterday certainly didn't hurt either.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
...long term durability is the only thing I question about Kamara...:peace2:

GO VOLS...RUN THE TABLE!

Yeah, you've been saying that for about 4 weeks after not saying a word about him for a year and a half while telling us that Jalen Hurd, who won't be drafted, is the best running back in the country, is the "Calvin Johnson of running backs" (whatever the hell that means) and is a surefire first round pick.

Many of us have been big AK fans and legitimately arguing that he should have a much bigger role in Tennessee's offense for going on two years now, because he was our best, most dynamic running back.....you on the other hand, are a Johnny come lately. So get out of here with your Kamara advocacy here at the 11th hour like you're some great prognosticator. You had your chance but choose to ride with a much overrated Hurd.

I don't know where Kamara is gonna be picked. As I've said for two years now, he's bigger (at 215 lbs), quicker and faster than many seem to think and he's definitely well suited for the NFL game. He has outstanding hands to boot and he's an outstanding kick returner.

It seems to me that first round is a bit early, but I could definitely see him gone by the late second or third round. He made himself a lot of money with the TAM performance and yesterday certainly didn't hurt either.

The link is also from a site that D4H has said is clueless in the past.

D4H your posts maybe wouldn't be so annoying if you didn't include the "I've been saying, I told everyone, blah blah" nonsense.

When you've made so many absurd and downright wrong claims you don't get any "I told y'all" moments.

Just make your point and walk away...it would be a better look for you IMO. Trying to get credit for predictions won't go over so well for those of us that have seen your previous work.

Reactions: 3 people
It's not even a given he goes pro. Does he have the talent to go high? Sure, but he does not have the resume. If he went pro now with the durability issues he would be lucky to be mid second round. There are too many guys coming out with much better resumes. He is gonna remind scouts of Reggie Bush without the stats to back it up. They would be wrong but it's what they will see.

The selfish part of me wants him to skip the draft but I really think he will end up being a steal in the draft late second early first. As far as Hurd I feel sorry for the kid. He just made a really weird choice at a really strange time. Hope his transition to most likely tight end works out. Him at WR makes no sense if he wants to play Sunday's.

Not a first rounder, but I'd want a guy like Kamara on my roster. Would be a great 3rd down back, can catch the ball, good special teams player. Hell yeah!

Too many better backs ahead of him. Supply and Demand. The value of draft picks has definitely swung to those that can affect the passing game, (QB, LT, WR, Pass Rusher, CB, S). Best bet we have for a 1st rounder is Barnette, followed by Sutton.

Who? What better backs?
Fournette,...?

As mentioned the real issue is how much it takes to be a 1st round pick at all at the RB position. In a year as flush with RB's as any in recent memory the only two names I've seen as 1st round locks are Fournette and Cook.

Maybe, but it seems that NFL teams treat RB's as a dime a dozen. I'd be surprised if he was chosen in first round. If he can stay healthy, he'll have a nice career in the NFL though.

Patriots type pick. Hate them but I'd pull for that.

A lot of drafts have him as the 3rd or 4th best rb in the draft.

I'd be thrilled if he was taken as the 3rd or 4th running back. He's an outstanding, immensely talented player who should've been given many more opportunities to help this team win games the last two years. And from all accounts, he's a better young man than he is a football player. He's someone any Vol fan should be incredibly proud of.

Combine will go a long way. Pound the rock backs have a career of 3 years or less, whereas versatile backs can play a decade.

Kamara is likely the most talented back with the least amount of miles on the odometer.

He'd be excellent in Detroit. They have struggled at RB all year.

Don't see him going first round though. I am guessing Fournette will be the only one to go that high.

Not utilizing Alvin Kamara more.

Just wait until this kid gets to the NFL. He will be the biggest black mark on Butch Jones resume regarding his time at Tennessee. Its mind-boggling to me that we had a player of his caliber standing on the sideline for 1.5 out of his 2 years here. The guy is projected to be our highest drafted offensive player in 4 years and Butch Jones kept him standing on the sideline watching more than playing for most his time here. This to me is INEXCUSABLE. This alone should warrant Butch Jones being fired.

Now this is not say Jalen Hurd should have been benched. I know we're all supposed to hate him now that he quit the team but the kid was phenomenal for us as a freshmen and sophomore. Butch Jones mistake was not that he didn't bench Hurd in favor of Kamara. Rather his mistake was in not playing Kamara and Hurd together on the field more. Former Vol defensive end Will Overstreet made this point on the Sports Source earlier this year. He was flabbergasted as to why we didn't play Kamara and Hurd together on the field more. Why didn't we run more 2 RB sets instead of 3 WR sets? Hurd and Kamara are 2 of your 3 best players on offense (along with Dobbs) and yet Butch Jones thought it smart to have Kamara sitting on the sideline for more than half the game. Its inexcusable IMO to have either Hurd or Kamara standing on the sideline during a competitive game unless they are tired and need a breather.

Instead of running all those 3 WR sets where we don't even have a proper slot receiver, we should have been running 2 RB sets where we motion Alvin to slot receiver when he's not running the ball. Just think about this. We moved a kid (Tyler Byrd) who could've been a freshmen all-american CB to slot receiver because the position was a weakness for us. All the while Butch Jones has Alvin Kamara (who is probably our most talented receiver especially when we put him in the slot) standing on the sideline watching an inferior player in Josh Smith or a true freshmen playing out of position in Tyler Byrd get more snaps at slot receiver.

How different would this season have gone if we kept Tyler Byrd at CB? We would have had an Army All-American CB taking over for Sutton after he went down rather than a 3 star true freshmen who was clearly not ready. What if we played Kamara and Hurd together on the field at all-times motioning Kamara to slot WR or Hurd to TE when the other was designated run the ball. And it's not like we didn't have these plays in the playbook. We did run formations with 2 RBs on the field at the same time. We did motion Kamara to the slot. We did motion Hurd to TE. The issue was we rarely did it. And this simply made no sense to me. Why would you not use your most potent offensive weapon at all times? And as we've seen now Alvin Kamara is our most potent offensive weapon. The fact he spent most his time here at Tennessee on the sideline is COACHING MALPRACTICE on Butch Jones part.

He should be fired just for this.

Last edited:
Thought I would read "trusting the fans" with a drop the mic gif.

You disappointed me D4H!

No this is a serious thread.

I'm pissed off at this missed opportunity. 2016 should have been the year. Poor coaching not lack of talent cost Tennessee an opportunity to play for an SEC title. Or at the very least a Sugar Bowl.

Reactions: 2 people
No this is a serious thread.

I'm pissed off at this missed opportunity. 2016 should have been the year. Poor coaching not lack of talent cost Tennessee an opportunity to play for an SEC title. Or at the very least a Sugar Bowl.

You will get over it. Go eat a snickers, your not acting like your normal self.

Reactions: 3 people
He should be fired for losing to Vandy and South Carolina in his 4th year

True.

But the deeper issue of his mishandling of talent on the roster is more troubling.

It shows us that even if Butch Jones acquires Alabama level talent it won't make a difference since he has proven he doesn't know how to utilize talent to it's full potential.

Dobbs, Kamara, and Kelly were forced onto the field by injuries. That to me is even more damning.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back