The Big Bang Theory

I still remember the episode from the 1st season where they're playing Warcraft and he sells the sword on eBay. I thought that was hilarious

Seinfeld was a bit edgy when it came to topics like sex, and that's one reason why it was so funny. By today's standards, it's very tame which is partly why I don't think it's as funny.

Comedy has to be vulgar to be funny?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

You said in your post that the content is tame and not as edgy which makes it not as funny to you. I wasn't sure if that was entirely waht you meant or not, but you phrased it that way.

Last edited:
You said in your post that the content is tame and not as edgy which makes it not as funny to you. I wasn't sure if that was entirely waht you meant or not, but you phrased it that way.

Yeah, I'm just talking about that specific show. Not comedy in general. Seinfeld wasn't just funny because it was edgy. It was funny for other reasons, but as time passed, the edginess diminishes and it's not quite as funny.

Depicting a guy playing a chess match with his penis was completely out of bounds on basic TV in the early 90s, but that wouldn't really shock anyone today.

Not necessarily, but I don't think it can be considered sophisticated humor (which was what he claimed it to be).

Seinfeld was sophisticated humor in 1989. 22 years later, it's not really as relevant or as funny (kind of like how shows like MASH are no longer funny at all). Curb Your Enthusiasm is the 2011 version. Unfortunately the evolution of TV has not yet completely eradicated the laugh track.

This is easily your most uninformed statement ever. The first three seasons of MASH will be funny forever. That type of humor is always funny, regardless of time

This is easily your most uninformed statement ever. The first three seasons of MASH will be funny forever. That type of humor is always funny, regardless of time

Hmmmmm.....Whether or not you think MASH is funny has nothing to do with how well informed you are.

This past episode was funny. Does it come on Thursdays? Last night's episode, I guess? With DVR, I forget when most of the shows come on if they didn't exist pre-DVR.

Amy's character would be awesome if she was hot. She could be like Annie in community. Innocent little nerdy girl that is secretly a sexual deviant.

Amy's character would be awesome if she was hot. She could be like Annie in community. Innocent little nerdy girl that is secretly a sexual deviant.

Actually the fact that she's not hot I think makes her character better in the whole nerd sense..lol

Went back a ways to find this thread to post this..

CBS is going all in on BIG BANG!!!

‘‘The Big Bang Theory’ Gets 3-Year Pickup!
CBS picks up The Big Bang Theory for 3 more years!!

Bazinga! CBS and Warner Bros. Television have reached a deal for a three-year renewal of broadcast TV’s top entertainment series, The Big Bang Theory, that would keep the hit comedy on the air through the 2016-2017 season, the series’ 10th. No one is commenting, but I hear the license fee is in the $4 million-$5 million range per episode (closer to $4 million), a high number for a comedy series. This marks Big Bang‘s second consecutive three-season pickup, a commitment reserved only for the biggest shows on television. While it is the biggest deal by far, Big Bang is not the only WBTV comedy in renewal talks with CBS. I hear the network and the studio also are in discussions on the other three Chuck Lorre series, with a 13-episode final season of Two And A Half Men eyed along with renewals for next season of Mike & Molly and freshman Mom.

With the Big Bang license deal secured, WBTV and CBS will turn their attention to the cast. There had been some overtures but no real negotiations so far with original cast members Johnny Galecki, Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting, Simon Helberg and Kunal Nayyar, whose contracts are up at the end of this season. (Big Bang’s other regulars, Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch, closed new deals last fall.) Put on hold while license fee negotiations were going on, talks with Galecki, Parsons and Cuoco are expected to kick into gear soon. Currently at about $350,000 per episode, the three leads are projected to get to the Friends cast mark of $1 million an episode.

The Big Bang Theory is head and shoulders above any non-sports series on broadcast TV and still posts year-to-year gains seven seasons into its run. Season to date, the comedy is averaging 19.79 million viewers in most current ratings ( up 4% from last season), and 6.1/19 in adults 18-49. The relatively quick and painless renewal after a couple of months of talks extends CBS and WBTV’s good track record of largely smooth negotiations on high-profile, complex renewals like previous Two And A Half Men and Big Bang deals. “Comedy is a big part of our schedule, and The Big Bang Theory is the biggest comedy force on television,” said CBS Entertainment chairman Nina Tassler. “This multi-year deal further strengthens our network’s position for future seasons and marks another chapter in the great partnership CBS enjoys with Warner Bros Television for delivering audiences the best in comedy. We’re proud to work with and showcase the incredible talents of Chuck Lorre, Steve Molaro and this amazing cast every week.” Lorre and Bill Prady created the series, which they executive produce with showrunner Molaro. Big Bang, which also is the highest-rated series in syndication, propelling TBS to No. 1 in adults 18-49, has garnered three Emmy Award nominations for best series and has won three Emmys for star Parsons.

Given Two And A Half Men‘s longevity and its importance, a final-season order reflects the desire by both sides to give the comedy a proper send-off. The series, now in in its 11th season, still delivers healthy ratings and has perked up in its new Thursday 9 PM slot. Last week, it drew a 2.5 in 18-49 and 10 million viewers, the show’s largest audience and highest 18-49 rating since the season premiere. Mike & Molly and Mom are part of CBS’ Monday lineup, which has been on the soft side this year. Still, they have stayed mostly at and above a 2 demo rating in Live+Same Day, most recently logging a 2.2 (Mike & Molly) and 2.0 (Mom). Plus, both have a bona fide star as a lead, Melissa McCarthy and Anna Faris, respectively.

The blockbuster status of Big Bang is expected to have a halo effect on the other Lorre series’ renewals between CBS and WBTV, where the prolific writer-producer is based. It does make sense for a studio to leverage a hot property in negotiations with a network. Last May, Sony TV was able to secure a four-series pickup deal with NBC on the strength of new drama The Blacklist, which helped get series orders for two other Sony pilots, Welcome To The Family and Night Shift, as well as a renewal for Community.

Last edited:
Good news, I've been a fan since the pilot. Oh and Chuck Lorre is a master of TV it seems.

My wife loves this show. I only watch the reruns on TBS. I have other shows that I like that's in their time slot. I like looking at Kaley for the most part. She's so fine. She & all the cast members are set for life. It's a cute situational comedy where it all blends in at the end.

Production On ‘Big Bang Theory’ Pushed Over Cast Contract Negotiations As Actors Near New Deals

Production On ‘Big Bang Theory’ Pushed Over Cast Contract Negotiations As Actors Near New Deals

There is no agreement yet in the contract negotiations between the original cast of The Big Bang Theory and Warner Bros TV, leading to the studio’s decision to push the production start date for Season 8, originally slated for today. “Due to ongoing contract negotiations, production on The Big Bang Theory — which was originally scheduled to begin today — has been postponed,” WBTV said in a statement. I hear the postponement is for one day, and the situation would be evaluated day by day as the two sides continue to negotiate and are close to deals, something that could happen as early as today.

While Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki, Kaley Cuoco, Simon Helberg and Kunal Nayyar worked during the 2010 salary renegotiations that also dragged on over the summer, they were under deals back then. The situation is different this time as the quintet’s contracts all expired at the end of last season. The only Big Bang cast members who have deals and would’ve showed up today are Melissa Rauch and Mayim Bialik, who renegotiated their contracts last fall.

CBS blue logoThere has been progress, with negotiations ramping up over the past week though the gap between what the actors are seeking and have been offered on the episodic fee and back-end side has not been bridged just yet. At TCA last two weeks ago, CBS chairman Nina Tassler did not sound worried. “We’re feeling very confident that everything will work out,” she said of the negotiations. “These deals manage to get done somehow miraculously year after year.” Big Bang plays a major piece in CBS’ fall plans, with an hourlong premiere on September 22 leading to the debut of new action drama Scorpion, often referred to as a procedural take on Big Bang. There is no immediate danger of missing the premiere date.

big_bang_theoryThe Big Bang negotiations are under extra scrutiny in light of the ongoing takeover attempt of WBTV parent Time Warner by 21st Century Fox. Big Bang is one the biggest singular TV assets of the company, estimated to generate up to $2 billions in profits. Nobody is talking, but industry expectations are that, when the i’s are dotted and the t’s are crossed, the trio of of Parsons, Galecki and Cuoco would each cross the Friends mark of $1 million an episode and will significantly increase their current back-end stake of 0.25 points. As they did the last time, Helberg and Nayyar are said to be negotiating together.

Don't know if anyone is still watching this. I haven't in two years but will eventually pick up the season sets as I have all the others.

Anyway The Big Bang Theory Season 10 Premiere is Tonight 8/7C on CBS! Followed by the Premiere of the new Kevin James comedy Kevin Can Wait!

VN Store

Back