Recruiting Forum: Official Appalachian State Pre-Game/Game Thread

"hey great catch Malone, you won the game for us! You really owned that FRESHMAN corner! Now block for the rest of the game that is your last target."

Un. Freakin. Real.

That's what I can never understand with us...why do we stop riding the players who are hot and making plays? We always have been like this. It makes zero sense and is so frustrating.

football is a game of mismatches that you exploit. that is a pretty basic rule.

Unless you are tied to your scripted plays because you are incapable of adapting your play calling on the fly to match the ebb and flow of the game.

Say...you don't suppose this could explain the repetitive and generally ineffective offensive play calling last night, do you?

Reactions: 2 people
it is the one major thing I take away from that game that makes my head crazy. Everything that failed in that game was due to offensive play calling. Period.

it is the one major thing I take away from that game that makes my head crazy. Everything that failed in that game was due to offensive play calling. Period.

I would put the blame on the OL before offensive playcalling. The playcalling was bad, but your options are severely limited when your OL is getting abused by 3 and 4 man rushes and your center is getting knocked flat on his ass by a 240 lbs DL.

Reactions: 1 person
its a vicious circle. The OL gets owned when the defense know what the play is going to be. They are in the right position before the ball is snapped.

A thought on number 2 there...We could have lined up in an I form and literally bulldozed that team into oblivion for that reason...but it is stupid to change your offense that drastically, for no other reason other than to get style points for blowing out that team. You will see the game plan they have been preparing for next week. They showed nothing last night for VT to work on, that they didn't already know about. I have a feeling next week is going to look a lot different.

This is blinkered, delusional thinking.

You don't "vanilla" your way into a loss just because you don't want to tip your hand for the next opponent. The reality is Appy State outplayed the Vols in every phase but placekicking.

I'd love to eat my words next weekend, but the combination of Dobbs, DeBord, and Butchie do not inspire any reasonable confidence.

Our offense in a nutshell.

Pretty much, but we won a game that we should have lost and played horrible. I'm not going to whine and be negative. I'm hoping it's a huge eye opener for everyone and propels us to bigger and better things.

I would put the blame on the OL before offensive playcalling. The playcalling was bad, but your options are severely limited when your OL is getting abused by 3 and 4 man rushes and your center is getting knocked flat on his ass by a 240 lbs DL.

Yes. Add that problem to DeBord's lack of trust in Dobbs arm and you're in a hole

If the coaches don't trust Dobbs to throw and at the same time don't want him to run, then why the hell is he out there in the first place? What kind of offense do they want? One that just runs up the middle for small gains and somehow miraculously scores a touchdown or two maybe while the defense is expected to shut out our opponents each week? I don't get it. Our offense had a great game last year against Bowling Green and had a huge matchup right after with Oklahoma so I don't buy this vanilla on purpose bullcrap excuse. We just sucked on offense bottom line last night and it all starts with the OFFENSIVE LINE.

This is blinkered, delusional thinking.

You don't "vanilla" your way into a loss just because you don't want to tip your hand for the next opponent. The reality is Appy State outplayed the Vols in every phase but placekicking.

I'd love to eat my words next weekend, but the combination of Dobbs, DeBord, and Butchie do not inspire any reasonable confidence.

You have one game that is on your side. we've seen this offense look better, run smoother, faster and more complex in the Georgia, northwestern, Alabama, Florida, hell all last season with the same crew. Don't forget that.

Our DL was protecting their lower body. App state cut blocks a lot. They tried to catch and control the OL to give the LBs lanes. We won't fave another team that does that.

Our DL was protecting their lower body. App state cut blocks a lot. They tried to catch and control the OL to give the LBs lanes. We won't fave another team that does that.

Stupid question, but why do not more teams cut block? Seems very effective

Stupid question, but why do not more teams cut block? Seems very effective

It's like the triple option. if you dont execute it well, it's ugly. cut blocking puts a blocker on the ground. means there is zero second level blocks from that OLman

Back of the end zone, fresh DB draped all over him. Made the catch with two feet in bounds. DB had his arm/ hand in there. Preston's knee hit (out of bounds) ball came out, DB jarred it loose. Did not maintain possession through the catch. CBJ called time out to give time for review, officials did a quick review. Clear no catch as ball was on ground after P.Willy and DB landed out of bounds.

Are you freakin blind?

It's like the triple option. if you dont execute it well, it's ugly. cut blocking puts a blocker on the ground. means there is zero second level blocks from that OLman

And they pretty much ran a triple option offense. That team was just like facing variation of a military school and executed extremely well. We will not face another offense like that all year.

Anyone game to see Debord relieved of his play calling duties, and let Gillespie or Azzani have a go? Maybe not this week but week after against Ohio. We say this is Butch's offense, but I remember Bajakian throwing the ball down the field more and at least trying to get the ball to his playmakers. These terribly conservative game plans have to be on Debord...Butch must be giving him free rein to do what he wants. We couldn't stand Jake, but honestly, I feel his play calling was much more aggressive than this...he just didn't have the horses to run the offense, like Debord does.

VN Store

Back