Recruiting Forum Football Talk XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
not so sure about that, it is taught in schools that after the greek period there was a time of stagnation and then a sudden new burst in technology by the romans. it does not take but a few minutes to state that an earlier civilization may have had a large impact on Rome, namely that many of their advancements were copied from an earlier civilization, the Etruscans. And that many of the records of that society were destroyed by the romans, and incorporated into their own. It is not great leap to think that subsequent writers may have extolled the virtues of their own heroes rather than a society they conquered. I thought purple was a roman thing for years. Etruscan statues, over 10,000 texts, sarcophagi. Looks like Etruscan culture was subsumed and adopted by the Romans, and that Etruscan culture stretched all the way back to Greek times. So continuous trading and exchange of information would suggest that Roman society is linked all the way to Greece through the Etruscans. Thats an important idea imo

Sto, I have to admit you ain't no dumb country bumpkin like you appear to be. 😂

J/k, but you do appear well read. Kudos

Watching the 1080p 60 FPS highlight videos from the season on YouTube is awesome. I wish the TV networks would start broadcasting with that level of quality.

Hell, Univision is streaming soccer matches in 4K now.

Reactions: 2 people
Watching the 1080p 60 FPS highlight videos from the season on YouTube is awesome. I wish the TV networks would start broadcasting with that level of quality.

Hell, Univision is streaming soccer matches in 4K now.

Is ESPN broadcasting in 4K now? I wouldn't care since I haven't had to upgrade any tv's since the 4K's came out. Now if I could buy a DSLR that records in 4K that would be another matter.

(Perfect offseason topic, no?)

Does it require a TV with greater resolution than 1080?

Sure does, and you need a bigger tv to really tell the difference. Far cry from my 19" tv I grew up with that only picked up 2, 4, 5, and on a good day, channel 17 out of Nashville. Oh, and I was the remote.

Reactions: 3 people
I heard Dr. Punch talk about 4K integration. He said many networks including ESPN were under sever budget constraints. He said that they had spent a ton of cash on 3d TV that went nowhere. He said he felt it would be a slow transition to UHDTV.

So why would I even want a 4K tv? To hook up Apple TV and watch an obscure documentary on Netflix in extra HD?

I'm just asking. I like this stuff but honestly haven't paid much attention since the HDTV fad became the norm.

I heard Dr. Punch talk about 4K integration. He said many networks including ESPN were under sever budget constraints. He said that they had spent a ton of cash on 3d TV that went nowhere. He said he felt it would be a slow transition to UHDTV.

Definitely. TV as we know it (with set top boxes and "channels") will be dead long before 4K becomes mainstream. Streaming is the only way it becomes viable due to bandwith issues. TV networks still can't/won't even broadcast in 1080p and we're now 10 years into the HDTV era. The best we get is 720p or 1080i @ 24 frames per second.

I watched a demo of a soccer game on a 4K TV @ 60 FPS (it may have been 120, but it gets harder to tell as you go past 60), and it looked absolutely stunning. Picture was crystal clear and the players' movements were incredibly fluid.

The downside to that tech is that it would make it even more difficult to fill up stadiums and arenas.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
So why would I even want a 4K tv? To hook up Apple TV and watch an obscure documentary on Netflix in extra HD?

I'm just asking. I like this stuff but honestly haven't paid much attention since the HDTV fad became the norm.

It's still just a niche tech product for now, but more and more content is becoming available for it every year. YouTube even offer 4K video uploads now.

4K will probably be the standard resolution for displays within 3-4 years, and the content to match it will be much more widely available by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back